Ryan202810
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hello,

I have recently seen this PhD advertised at Cardiff Business School. Its a project I am very interested in, having completed similar assignments during my undergrad at Cardiff.

https://www.findaphd.com/phds/projec...being/?p118793

I completed my degree in Business Management from Cardiff Uni (2:1) in 2018, and a masters in Digital Marketing (Distinction) from Cardiff Met in 2019. I am living with my partner in Cardiff who is also studying a PhD but hers is funded by a charity so get a wage equivalent of 14,000 a year.

So my main question is what funding options are available to me? I know I can get student finance of up to 27,000 which would cover the costs of the PhD at least but I wouldn't have much left to live. My expenses per month (rent,bills,car) are approximately 700, so in addition to the annual fee of 4,407, I need to have at least 12,807.

What other options are available to me financially?
Secretariat123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Ryan202810)
Hello,

I have recently seen this PhD advertised at Cardiff Business School. Its a project I am very interested in, having completed similar assignments during my undergrad at Cardiff.

I completed my degree in Business Management from Cardiff Uni (2:1) in 2018, and a masters in Digital Marketing (Distinction) from Cardiff Met in 2019. I am living with my partner in Cardiff who is also studying a PhD but hers is funded by a charity so get a wage equivalent of 14,000 a year.

So my main question is what funding options are available to me? I know I can get student finance of up to 27,000 which would cover the costs of the PhD at least but I wouldn't have much left to live. My expenses per month (rent,bills,car) are approximately 700, so in addition to the annual fee of 4,407, I need to have at least 12,807.

The link says there are some scholarships which you can apply to, and some others in a more general sense are available. You can always apply for this, and apply for scholarships, and if you are unsuccessful with the scholarships just leave it?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hello,

As research council funding deadlines have passed for September 2020, and the university doesn't seem to be funding this project itself, you'll need to be looking into scholarships the university or relevant organisations offer, or self-fund (using the doctoral loan from Student Finance) with a mind to constantly seeking out small bursaries, charity grants etc. whenever you can. The bottom line is that you have to know that you can afford to study for 3+ years without too much difficulty - so many self-funded PhD students end up dropping out halfway through when their financial situation becomes too dire to warrant continuing.

Even though I'm currently doing a self-funded PhD (due to being a non-competitive applicant due to my undergrad classification, and only one RC funds my specific PhD), I wouldn't recommend others to do so if they can at all help it. Having to borrow the money to study is far from ideal; I'm essentially receiving half of what a funded student receives per year. Having to rely on grants/bursaries that may never come through is also very stressful. I've also had to make tough decisions about my PhD (i.e. living at home and studying by distance to save as much as I can) which funded students may never have to consider.

Many people say that a PhD is such hard work that it's only worth it if you're paid to do it, so that tells you a lot about the nature of doctoral study.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hello,

I was going to say avoid self-funding at all costs, but PhoenixFortune has put it so much better. I don't know of any self-funders for whom it turned out happily. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer about it, but that's my experience.
Secretariat123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Many people say that a PhD is such hard work that it's only worth it if you're paid to do it, so that tells you a lot about the nature of doctoral study.
So true...
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Self funding doesn't have to be a disaster. I self-funded, had a ball, took 6 undergrad lecture series per term, played cricket for the Uni, submitted in 35 months. It was an 80,000 word essay on a subject of my own choice to be completed in 3 years - a darned site easier that what I'd been doing for the 17 years before! Enjoyed every minute.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (229)
67.55%
No (110)
32.45%

Watched Threads