Brexiteers complains about wait time at Airport. Watch

imlikeahermit
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Here we go... this is what they voted for!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...box=1581675654
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)

Yes, all very silly.

But, from the article, this bit jumped out:

"strict EU rules on passport validity for travellers visiting from outside the bloc will mean that some British travellers may be turned away even though they have many more months left on their passport."

What's the point in a passport if it doesn't let you pass the port? The EU, for some absurd reason, considers a non-EU passport to have run out when it's got a year left till it's expiry date.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Yes, all very silly.

"strict EU rules on passport validity for travellers visiting from outside the bloc will mean that some British travellers may be turned away even though they have many more months left on their passport."

What's the point in a passport if it doesn't let you pass the port? The EU, for some absurd reason, considers a non-EU passport to have run out when it's got a year left till it's expiry date.
No idea, it does seem ridiculous. But now we’re part of the non-EU club we’ll just have to deal with it.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Yes a valid passport that does not allow you to pass through, is an example of EU bonkers rules in action
ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Who would've thought this could happen?
2 years ago when returning from Tenerife it took me and my family the best part of an hour to clear passport control at Stansted, we survived the ordeal somehow without feeling the need to phone the "Independent" or the Guardian.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Here we go... this is what we voted for!

Fixed that for you.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
Who would've thought this could happen?
2 years ago when returning from Tenerife it took me and my family the best part of an hour to clear passport control at Stansted, we survived the ordeal somehow without feeling the need to phone the "Independent" or the Guardian.
What... no .... didn't Donold Tusk rush to save you? Hang on, hang on are we saying occasionally inconvenient things happen and always have including when we was members of the EU?

Rennaofravenwood
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Wow, it's almost like the people of Britain were ill informed and lied to in the lead up to the referendum and were never actually sure what Brexit actually meant.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
'Having their cake and eating it' comes to mind. :rolleyes:
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Rennaofravenwood)
Wow, it's almost like the people of Britain were ill informed and lied to in the lead up to the referendum and were never actually sure what Brexit actually meant.
Hey 2 peeps have given you the thumbs up without realising that this happens sometimes, let's stop brexit.
Oh no just worked out that some are reactionaries that will grasp at any scrawny straw.
thegalaxy
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
The thing is though, this has nothing to do with Brexit. The UK isn't, and never was, part of the Schengen area, which is why you have to go through immigration on a flight between the UK and Amsterdam, but not a flight between Amsterdam and Barcelona (for example). The reason why the queue was so long was because the airport just happened to be busy, not due to Brexit.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by thegalaxy)
The thing is though, this has nothing to do with Brexit. The UK isn't, and never was, part of the Schengen area, which is why you have to go through immigration on a flight between the UK and Amsterdam, but not a flight between Amsterdam and Barcelona (for example). The reason why the queue was so long was because the airport just happened to be busy, not due to Brexit.
Let the deluded delude themselves with this non story, reality isn't the strong point of these hard core remainers.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Yes, all very silly.

In fairness many countries have similar conditions of not letting you in unless you have 6months plus on your passport, even if your visa is for but a week.
Kitten in boots
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Yes a valid passport that does not allow you to pass through, is an example of EU bonkers rules in action
The only thing I've learnt from your post is you are not well travelled. The six month rule is there for a very good reason and most travellers would not need this explained to them.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Kitten in boots)
The only thing I've learnt from your post is you are not well travelled. The six month rule is there for a very good reason and most travellers would not need this explained to them.
Apart from Germany (and Wales if we are actually counting that as another country) I've only been to holiday type "Butlins in the sun" venues like Sharm el-Sheikh, Los Cristianos, Magaluf etc.

So you are correct. However whats the point in highlighting this? Wouldn't it be better to just explain why countries have this time frame, what are they protecting against against a two week holiday? 5 and half month time differences or fight delays? I understand not everyone is travelling for holidays however surely work visas would have to match up with your passport anyway?

After you have explained that can you explain why the EU is considering imposing a traveller whose British passport has almost 15 months validity to be turned away from the airport, please because to me, a mear untravelled leave voter, that seems to be EU bonkers rules in action, but you superiority may be the key to turn the light on, if you'd care to use it. :rolleyes:
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 5 days ago
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If you are living anywhere in London and the South East, you should be kept waiting even longer at Schiphol, as there is a perfectly good train service from London to the Netherlands you can use (and I used last month).

If you voted for Brexit (or even if you did not) and did not anticipate longer border checks in the event of Brexit, which bit did you miss? If you do not expect longer queues at holiday times or on a Sunday evening, which rock have you been beneath?

No sympathy at all. Before complaining about non-UK airports, perhaps in any case we should get our own house in order first.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
If you are living anywhere in London and the South East, you should be kept waiting even longer at Schiphol, as there is a perfectly good train service from London to the Netherlands you can use (and I used last month).

If you voted for Brexit (or even if you did not) and did not anticipate longer border checks in the event of Brexit, which bit did you miss? If you do not expect longer queues at holiday times or on a Sunday evening, which rock have you been beneath?

No sympathy at all. Before complaining about non-UK airports, perhaps in any case we should get our own house in order first.
Exactly, **** happens.
Sometimes I've been through passport control in Spain, showed them my passport and they've checked it thoroughly, others I may have well been holding up a picture of Jeremy Corbyn taking Diane Abbott from behind for all the interest they showed.
A slightly longer wait really is no biggie and not even that unusual.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
In fairness many countries have similar conditions of not letting you in unless you have 6months plus on your passport, even if your visa is for but a week.
6 months I'm ok with, there seems to be a consensus the. But the EU consider a 10 year passport to have run out at the 9 year mark. Why?
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

What do you mean? Dont you think these things were happening 30 , 40 fifty years ago as well!? Very weak argument!
Diplomatic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Nothing to do with Brexit... the Independent must be struggling for stories.

We're in the transition period. Nothing changes from a British traveller's perspective until next year.
Last edited by Diplomatic; 5 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (346)
66.67%
No (173)
33.33%

Watched Threads