Questions over probationary research student Watch

paladium
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I have learnt that MRes students in Oxford are first registered as probationary research student (PRS). I read the transfer guideline, and I became to wonder that whether it is possible for a student to enrol as a MRes but actually transfer to Dphil in transition period. Is it feasible?
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by paladium)
I have learnt that MRes students in Oxford are first registered as probationary research student (PRS). I read the transfer guideline, and I became to wonder that whether it is possible for a student to enrol as a MRes but actually transfer to Dphil in transition period. Is it feasible?
DPhil / PhD needs 3.5 years of funding minimum and for the most part thats tied to a specific supervisor and project up front, so no, its not really possible to go in that "upwards" direction in any kind of "automatic" way. You would need to use the MRes to impress someone enough to invest about £100k in you - thats what a PhD student costs the supervisor, and for Oxford, they would want a student at Masters level to begin with.
paladium
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Many thanks to your kind reply. Thank you! 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (371)
67.33%
No (180)
32.67%

Watched Threads