Problem for oxbridge if I have a combination of 4 Highers and 1 AS-Level

Watch
arshakshahr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,*I live in Scotland* by the way
For certain subjects, my school does English qualifications (GCSE, AS, A Level) such as economics, history and i think a couple others instead of the standard Scottish National 5, Higher and Adv higher qualification.

The subjects I will be doing exams for this year is
Higher - Maths, Physics, English, Computing Science (predicted all A1s)
AS Level - Economics (predicted A)

(The degree I wish to study for is Economics at Cambridge)

By the way, my school ONLY offers AS Level economics, not higher, so i didn't have a choice about the qualification for the economics subject.
Is the fact that I have 4 highers and 1 AS level a problem to study Economics at Cambridge?
Last edited by arshakshahr; 1 month ago
redmeercat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I doubt it, especially as when you apply you fill out an SAQ form where you give any unusual circumstances, etc. I recommend you phone an admissions office, if you're worried, but they really are very accomodating, I've found!
PetitePanda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You don't need Economics as only some colleges only want maths or its an alternative to maths but you already taking it as higher maths (expect Murry Edwards). It won't be a problem unless the AS level is considered. keep in mind they do take in consideration of your school. However, my knowledge is very limited so I recommend contacting them for a clear direct answer
IbeIC123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by arshakshahr)
Hi,*I live in Scotland* by the way
For certain subjects, my school does English qualifications (GCSE, AS, A Level) such as economics, history and i think a couple others instead of the standard Scottish National 5, Higher and Adv higher qualification.

The subjects I will be doing exams for this year is
Higher - Maths, Physics, English, Computing Science (predicted all A1s)
AS Level - Economics (predicted A)

(The degree I wish to study for is Economics at Cambridge)

By the way, my school ONLY offers AS Level economics, not higher, so i didn't have a choice about the qualification for the economics subject.
Is the fact that I have 4 highers and 1 AS level a problem to study Economics at Cambridge?
Just one quick question. Why does your school do that there’s already SQA qualifications for history and economics and for economics a lot of the coursework for higher and advanced higher you can find in A2 and AS levels because my teacher told our whole class to get A level textbooks. I was just wondering that’s all
arshakshahr
Rep:
?
(Original post by IbeIC123)
Just one quick question. Why does your school do that there’s already SQA qualifications for history and economics and for economics a lot of the coursework for higher and advanced higher you can find in A2 and AS levels because my teacher told our whole class to get A level textbooks. I was just wondering that’s all
Honestly I don't have an official answer from my school but the only thing I could think of is that A Level economics is very essay based and that is important for us as in University you will be writing a lot of essays for Economics. In higher & advanced higher economic theress little essay writing as far as I know so in a sense taking a level economics gives us an advantage? But it just makes it messy
arshakshahr
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
You don't need Economics as only some colleges only want maths or its an alternative to maths but you already taking it as higher maths (expect Murry Edwards). It won't be a problem unless the AS level is considered. keep in mind they do take in consideration of your school. However, my knowledge is very limited so I recommend contacting them for a clear direct answer
Hi thank you for your answer. I'd be extremely concerned if they don't consider my AS-Level as I had been told by almost everyone that it would count the same as a Higher!!!! Regardless though, I know economics is not needed but they need to consider it since it was the only choice I had in my school (if i wanted to take economicss as a subject)
arshakshahr
Rep:
?
(Original post by redmeercat)
I doubt it, especially as when you apply you fill out an SAQ form where you give any unusual circumstances, etc. I recommend you phone an admissions office, if you're worried, but they really are very accomodating, I've found!
Thanks for your answer! Thank God for this SAQ form I didn't know about it before. I'll go phone one of the colleges now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (184)
15.36%
Uncertainty around my education (196)
16.36%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (117)
9.77%
Isolating with family (84)
7.01%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (46)
3.84%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (101)
8.43%
Loneliness (116)
9.68%
Financial worries (52)
4.34%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (110)
9.18%
Exposure to negative news/social media (89)
7.43%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (103)
8.6%

Watched Threads