arshakshahr
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Just did my prelims and somehow got my only B in higher english but it was largely due to my handwriting. i was wondering if anyone has any specific tips and advice on how to get a grade A1 in Higher English when the actual exam comes about. ------ PS I'm doing Norman MacCaig Poems for TA, Romeo n Juliet & 'A Hanging' as potential essays
kiyuni
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I did Norman McCaig at national 5! I got an A at higher, it all depends on how well you do in the exam plus your folio.

If you have a bad folio, there’s nothing anyone can say to get you that A1.

SQA uses the same type of questions just reworded in exams, I’d write sample essays for 5/6 common questions and get them marked. This will not only help in terms of if that question actually
comes up, but it’s likely you’ll get better at essay writing and knowledge of your stories while you do it.
You will also be learning key quotes while doing this, it’s studying 2 different areas at once. Quotes are also extremely important, it’s important not only to remember a sufficient amount of quotes but also to have really good analysis of them. Don’t write about too much plot, your analysis is important.

As for your handwriting, nothing can really be done about it unless your school offers computers/you’re eligible for a scribe?

For the poems, it’s super easy to get the first initial questions (with lower marks). Usually they’re simply annotations that you can write down in a way that answers the question. The last question may become tricky so I’d also recommend doing practice questions for that one too.

Good luck (:
kiyuni
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
wow i wrote the word important so many times.
arshakshahr
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 30 minutes ago
(Original post by kiyuni)
I did Norman McCaig at national 5! I got an A at higher, it all depends on how well you do in the exam plus your folio.

If you have a bad folio, there’s nothing anyone can say to get you that A1.

SQA uses the same type of questions just reworded in exams, I’d write sample essays for 5/6 common questions and get them marked. This will not only help in terms of if that question actually
comes up, but it’s likely you’ll get better at essay writing and knowledge of your stories while you do it.
You will also be learning key quotes while doing this, it’s studying 2 different areas at once. Quotes are also extremely important, it’s important not only to remember a sufficient amount of quotes but also to have really good analysis of them. Don’t write about too much plot, your analysis is important.

As for your handwriting, nothing can really be done about it unless your school offers computers/you’re eligible for a scribe?

For the poems, it’s super easy to get the first initial questions (with lower marks). Usually they’re simply annotations that you can write down in a way that answers the question. The last question may become tricky so I’d also recommend doing practice questions for that one too.

Good luck (:
Hey thanks for your answer, I'm feeliing blessed that you did it with detail! Yeah I'm eligible for a scribe now, so that's really not a problem. My problem is really just making my essays more detailed and my textual analysis more accurate. I'll get help from some of my teachers, but thank you
kiyuni
Rep:
?
Report 2 minutes ago
(Original post by arshakshahr)
Hey thanks for your answer, I'm feeliing blessed that you did it with detail! Yeah I'm eligible for a scribe now, so that's really not a problem. My problem is really just making my essays more detailed and my textual analysis more accurate. I'll get help from some of my teachers, but thank you
No problem! Asking your teachers to mark essays is the best way to know if you’ve got enough analysis. As for textual analysis, my approach was to write as much as I possibly could for each question (usually at least +2 extra marks worth) to ensure that Id get all/close to all the marks for each question. Since you have a scribe, that could be really beneficial. You can find some really good analysis online for the essay as well as samples
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (392)
67.47%
No (189)
32.53%

Watched Threads