bubbleology
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I currently study French and German at GCSE, I’m pretty much at the same level for both but am a bit better at French and find it easier too, however I find both quite easy so difficulty isn’t really an issue for me. I want to go into physics if that’s at all relevant. My German teacher says that most state schools have dropped German now so it’s a very prestigious language to be able to speak and I need all the edge I can get for oxbridge but at the same time I find myself swaying towards French because I do find it easier and keep finding myself switching back and forth between the two, help!
Blossom-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did french and german at Gcse and decided to choose German to carry on at a level (I’m currently in year 12). I’d recommend you pick which ever one you think you’ll enjoy more, learning about the cultures of languages that speak the language and studying a film and book. Overall studying a language at a level is really enjoyable as it encompasses so many subjects.
emilybond:)
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bubbleology)
So I currently study French and German at GCSE, I’m pretty much at the same level for both but am a bit better at French and find it easier too, however I find both quite easy so difficulty isn’t really an issue for me. I want to go into physics if that’s at all relevant. My German teacher says that most state schools have dropped German now so it’s a very prestigious language to be able to speak and I need all the edge I can get for oxbridge but at the same time I find myself swaying towards French because I do find it easier and keep finding myself switching back and forth between the two, help!
I would say in life speaking german may open up more opportunities for jobs and so on but always pick the one you like more but yeah less people learn German than French so in general you will stand out but won't make a difference from learning french for getting into uni you just need a good grade in whichever one you pick. I do German a-level and am going to study modern langs at uni now and I would say that learning German has been really fun at a-level, but if it comes down to it and you like french more pick french
redmeercat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean, I've applied to do degree French and German, so I'm biased towards doing both. However, I'd say that it depends on what sort of things you want to do in physics, or whether you'd think about doing engineering, etc. Airbus, for example, is ligely based in France, so French would be more useful if you think you'd like to go into aircraft etc. However, a lot of physicists find German useful as a lot of scientific research is done in Germany. You should do which ever you enjoy most, ultimately, and see where it takes you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (177)
15.27%
Uncertainty around my education (192)
16.57%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (113)
9.75%
Isolating with family (79)
6.82%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (44)
3.8%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (99)
8.54%
Loneliness (113)
9.75%
Financial worries (51)
4.4%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (108)
9.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (84)
7.25%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (99)
8.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed