The Student Room Group

Law LLB - Exeter, Birmingham, Leeds, Kent or Lancaster?

Would anyone be able to give me an idea about how good the Law schools are at these universities? Opinions of current students or graduates would be preferred. (Taking into account the quality of teaching, coursework, work experience/volunteering opportunities and overall student support and satisfaction).

I would give more importance to availability and quality of student support (in academics/student living/work experience opportunities...) over the prestige of the university. So please do emphasize on those points if you can.

Also, is the large class size of these law schools cause for concern? Does it adversely affect support given to students in any way?

I'm an international student and will be unlikely to visit the campuses before starting my course. I've gone through all the online sources I could find including university course pages, student satisfaction statistics, rankings (from multiple websites) as well as the graduate prospect statistics (eg. Chambers Student). But I wanted the perspective of law students on this.
Reply 1
Original post by purplescarf
Would anyone be able to give me an idea about how good the Law schools are at these universities? Opinions of current students or graduates would be preferred. (Taking into account the quality of teaching, coursework, work experience/volunteering opportunities and overall student support and satisfaction).

I would give more importance to availability and quality of student support (in academics/student living/work experience opportunities...) over the prestige of the university. So please do emphasize on those points if you can.

Also, is the large class size of these law schools cause for concern? Does it adversely affect support given to students in any way?

I'm an international student and will be unlikely to visit the campuses before starting my course. I've gone through all the online sources I could find including university course pages, student satisfaction statistics, rankings (from multiple websites) as well as the graduate prospect statistics (eg. Chambers Student). But I wanted the perspective of law students on this.

Hi,use the Law Offers 2020 thread to ask these questions. There are good number of people to help you.😇
Reply 2
Original post by EsraH
Hi,use the Law Offers 2020 thread to ask these questions. There are good number of people to help you.😇

Thanks! I'll do that.
Original post by purplescarf

Hi there!
So pleased to hear you're considering studying Law at Kent :smile:
Kent have this online programme where prospective students, like yourself, can find and talk to current students studying the same subject. This would be a great way for you to find and ask all of your questions to a current student at Kent and get a good idea of what it's all like! Here is the link.
I am currently in my final year at Kent and can share some of my experiences of the student support offered at Kent (although from the perspective of a different academic school, Kent Law School may also have additional student support on offer too which you can ask someone from Unibuddy about!). There are two main departments for student support at Kent; Student Support and Wellbeing who help with mental health, learning difficulties, learning plans, or crisis management, and there's the Student Learning Advisory Service who offer academic support and run free workshops throughout the year to help students from any department with essay writing, maths, English language and communication skills. I've used both of these services and have had good experiences :smile: It's also just good to know that there are lots of support options out there in case you should need them!
I hope that this helps, and best of luck with your university applications :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by StudentRep Annabel
Hi there!
So pleased to hear you're considering studying Law at Kent :smile:
Kent have this online programme where prospective students, like yourself, can find and talk to current students studying the same subject. This would be a great way for you to find and ask all of your questions to a current student at Kent and get a good idea of what it's all like! Here is the link.
I am currently in my final year at Kent and can share some of my experiences of the student support offered at Kent (although from the perspective of a different academic school, Kent Law School may also have additional student support on offer too which you can ask someone from Unibuddy about!). There are two main departments for student support at Kent; Student Support and Wellbeing who help with mental health, learning difficulties, learning plans, or crisis management, and there's the Student Learning Advisory Service who offer academic support and run free workshops throughout the year to help students from any department with essay writing, maths, English language and communication skills. I've used both of these services and have had good experiences :smile: It's also just good to know that there are lots of support options out there in case you should need them!
I hope that this helps, and best of luck with your university applications :biggrin:

Thank you so much! The learning environment at the University of Kent sounds quite nice. I'll be sure to use Unibuddy to get in touch with a Law student there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending