If you could know the absolute truth to one question... Watch

The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
In all honesty, I'd ask a past abuser "who am I to you?" coz I've never been really clear on who she thought I was (lover, welfare student, play toy, theatre buddy, friend, daughter-figure, etc.), or how she related me to the rest of her life. I know I shouldn't really care about who she thought/thinks I am to her, but it would bring some final closure to 10 years of questioning
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Didn't Beyoncè already answer that question?
Yes she did.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by awkwardshortguy)

Girls, or so I've heard.
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by MoonlightRain)
I think sane people who don’t wanna burn in hell will follow the religion even if they still find immoral. Debating would be so pointless!!!
I agree, but there still seem to be people out there that debate over pointless things. :lol:
MoonlightRain
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I agree, but there still seem to be people out there that debate over pointless things. :lol:
Lol some people just really like winning an argument
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I'd be interested in people's reaction to the truth of this question if anything... Would people still debate over religion? Or would there be others that decide to follow said religion because it's been held as truth? 🤔
There would be no way to convince those who follow a particular religion of this "truth" that you have found out.
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Sir Cumference)
There would be no way to convince those who follow a particular religion of this "truth" that you have found out.
Wouldn't that depend on how you found out said truth? If there were witnesses to however this truth came about then it might be more convincing.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
How do I live a content life?
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Wouldn't that depend on how you found out said truth? If there were witnesses to however this truth came about then it might be more convincing.
I think however convincing it appeared to you, it would still be extremely hard to convince someone who is 100% sure that their religion is the truth.
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
In the context of 'the true religion', what do you define as the 'truth'? Do you define it as the empirical? Do you define it as tangible evidence?

In this case, there is no one 'true' religion: that's why there are so many of them, each with their own different versions of perceived 'truth', and each with their own parables etc.
Therefore, what would you define as the 'true religion'? How would someone go about determining which religion is the only true one, to categorically discount the thousands upon thousands of other ones?

The absolute questions I'd rather ask are why does religion exist? Where did they all come from? How have they persisted throughout time for so long?
My guess is that it simply gave people answers to the unknown, such as creation and death, and ultimately it gave people something to believe in

But to ask the question of 'which religion is the truth' implies that there's inherent truth in religion, and to imply that there's truth in religion is simply incorrect; if there really was only one 'true' religion, then theoretically speaking there would be no need for any other religion to exist

In fact, if we want to start talking about the one thing which gives solid, evidenced, repeatable answers, then undoubtedly it's science as we know it
Last edited by Kian Stevens; 4 days ago
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
What question would you ask?
How do we maximise human happiness?
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
In all honesty, I'd ask a past abuser "who am I to you?" coz I've never been really clear on who she thought I was (lover, welfare student, play toy, theatre buddy, friend, daughter-figure, etc.), or how she related me to the rest of her life. I know I shouldn't really care about who she thought/thinks I am to her, but it would bring some final closure to 10 years of questioning
:console:
Ibbx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
What question would you ask?

Someone asked me this today and it really made me think, because I couldn't come up with literally one question. :lol:

What would yours be?
Who’s my biological father
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I wouldn't ask anything
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (230)
67.45%
No (111)
32.55%

Watched Threads