Renaissance&LFC
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey everyone,

I got an unconditional offer earlier this week for a PhD in Renaissance Literature, though no college confirmed just yet.

Does anyone know if the financial undertaking requires proper, hard evidence of funding for the whole of the PhD, or is it merely a lip-service-paying exercise? In other words, can we just put down stuff like ‘family will help’ and ‘bank loans’, when really we’re desperate for a scholarship because neither of the above is an option?

Yours impoverished,
Josh
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Renaissance&LFC)
Hey everyone,

I got an unconditional offer earlier this week for a PhD in Renaissance Literature, though no college confirmed just yet.

Does anyone know if the financial undertaking requires proper, hard evidence of funding for the whole of the PhD, or is it merely a lip-service-paying exercise? In other words, can we just put down stuff like ‘family will help’ and ‘bank loans’, when really we’re desperate for a scholarship because neither of the above is an option?

Yours impoverished,
Josh
Are you an international student?

I expect they will either want hard evidence or it becomes a hard commitment i.e they will sue you if you sign and dont follow through. read the document. Check the small print and know when you are committed.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey everyone,

Yours impoverished,
Josh
I'm afraid they want hard evidence for the whole period. They won't let people start if they don't have the money to finish. College funds are for changes in circumstance, not structural inability to pay. Get as many scholarship/funding applications sent off as possible.
Renaissance&LFC
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
I'm afraid they want hard evidence for the whole period. They won't let people start if they don't have the money to finish. College funds are for changes in circumstance, not structural inability to pay. Get as many scholarship/funding applications sent off as possible.
Is it enough merely to have sent off applications for scholarships, or does funding need to be secured in order for the offer to be confirmed? Thanks for your help!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is it enough merely to have sent off applications for scholarships, or does funding need to be secured in order for the offer to be confirmed? Thanks for your help!
Funding needs to be secured. If you get a scholarship you have to send off the award letter with the finance form.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?