Should i study Anthropology at the University of Manchester?

Watch
Thatvampirediana
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently doing a foundation year in Biomedical Science at UOM but I am starting to realise how much i dislike biology. Anthropology has bee suggested to me but I do not know much about it. Can anyone describe job prospects, postgrad options and what the course is like?
heyitsmika
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey I'm studying Anthropology and I'm only in my first year, but since no one else has responded so far, maybe it will help you a little anyway.

So Anthropology is basically the study of human cultures - and I find it really interesting. So for example, last semester we talked about cannibalism among Amazonian societies (for example the Wari', who ate their dead as a sign of respect and grief), we talked about kinship and how certain cultures perceive kinship based on land ownership rather than genetics. We also learned about the Egyptian revolution in 2011, and marriage trends among British Pakistanis.
Later on, you will usually learn how to conduct your own research (so the different ethnographic methods) and all that jazz, but I can't really tell you about that unfortunately.

Anthropology is extremely different from Biomedical Sciences and I think it's a little random that people suggested it, but if you enjoy learning about different cultures, and even experiencing your own culture through different perspectives, it might be the right course for you.

Because I am only in first year I can't really help you much with graduate prospects and job opportunities, but I can tell you what my personal tutors and my lecturers told me.
So basically they said that in the end it doesn't really matter what kind of degree you have, and so many people have told me that. (Obviously, if you want to go into law, psychology, medicine, etc. it does matter, but it just doesn't for most careers). Usually what employers want is for you to have *a* degree, and that is usually all they want. My tutors said that some of their Anthropology grads have gone into law, publishing, PR, media (TV and radio), anthropology (so conducting their own fieldwork), etc.
As long as you aren't looking to go into one of the careers where you need a specific degree, it doesn't really matter. Plus, you can always do a postgraduate in almost every degree there is.

I'd say if Anthropology really is something you think you might be interested in, maybe visit a few lectures and see how you like it. And if you like it, just do it. In the end it comes down to the kinds of internships you did whilst at uni, and then you can go into most careers.

I hope this helps a little, and if you have more questions, feel free to ask me. I'll do my best to answer them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (42)
47.19%
No, they should still go ahead (21)
23.6%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (26)
29.21%

Watched Threads