Should I feel guilty for handing in my notice? Watch

Fruli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
I just found I’m to receive my yearly bonus, which is a pretty decent sum.

That said, I’m due to move on from the company, after working there for 10 years.

I’ve had a very lousy time in the last year, with my manager being horrible alongside a colleague who has been scheming behind my back. I think I will be giving in my notice the week after next, as I’ve got a job offer. I’m looking forward to the change.

Part of me feels bad, as more colleagues are due to leave in April and May. One guy is moving to a different city and two girls are off on mat leave. This has coincided with me deciding to leave as I’ve been treated badly and also got given a bad review by my manager at the end of last year.

I think the reason I feel bad is because I’m not used to handing in my notice, but logically it makes sense for me to go, given the bad treatment I’ve received.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I wouldn’t give it a moments thought. Just remember to say positive things when you resign and in any exit interview.
Fruli
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
I wouldn’t give it a moments thought. Just remember to say positive things when you resign and in any exit interview.
Thanks. I will!
Vexper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
You gave 10 years to them, gosh I've seen people in my department move between 3 roles in just one year without a care in the world. Leave with no guilt, lol. Also as mentioned regarding the exit interview, I understand you are leaving now because it's become tough - but think about the bigger picture, you were there for 10 years, I'd imagine the good outweighed the bad by quite a bit.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I had a similar experience - I wanted to leave my job to study full-time, and it coincided with 5 other members of staff retiring, resigning, or going on maternity leave. At the end of the day, you have to do what's right for you. Consider this: if they were to make you redundant, they probably wouldn't give you a second thought (given how business works).
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Don't feel bad, jobs are temporary but your wellbeing is permanent.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Consider this: if they were to make you redundant, they probably wouldn't give you a second thought (given how business works).
Bingo. They would drop if they no longer felt it was in their interests, so it has to work both ways.

If you leaving is part of a wider exodus, then the company need to consider why. No point feeling sorry for a business.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (3)
50%
No (3)
50%
Don't know (0)
0%

Watched Threads