Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 12
Size:  397.9 KB

Hello Beautiful People,

This is my attempt at trying to motivate myself and get straight 8s and 9s (preferably all 9s) since I've left it abit late! As we've finally reached the end of half term I've decided to be productive as ever but refrain from burning myself out (as this happened when i did my mocks but I've bounced back and can't wait to get stuck in)

My problem at the moment:

Spoiler:
Show

My school is trash and I'm not exaggerating at all. I don't trust them at all with my grades. The people that were predicted 8s and 9s last years ended up getting Us. I KNOW a shocker!! And I haven't learnt anything since year 10. I'm gonna have to start from scratch. Especially for English Language and Literature and i get a ton of useless homework which limits my revision time

Subjects I'm taking:

Spoiler:
Show

(ALL IGCSE EDEXCEL)
English Language
English Literature
History
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

AQA Level 2 Further Maths (self studying)

What my school has predicted me:

Spoiler:
Show

English Language; 7
English Literature; 8
History; 7
Biology; 8
Chemistry; 8
Physics; 8
(achieved A* in maths)

Mock Results:

Spoiler:
Show
English Language; 6
English Literature; 7
History; 6 I DON'T TRUST THESE AT ALL
Biology; 8
Chemistry; 9
Physics; 9

My estimate of my current grade:

Spoiler:
Show

English Language; 4
English Literature; 4
History; 5
Biology; 6
Chemistry; 6
Physics; 6

The grades I want:

Spoiler:
Show

English Language; 8 ( happy with 7)
English Literature; 8 ( happy with 7)
History; 8 ( happy with 7)
Biology; 9
Chemistry; 9
Physics; 9
Further Maths; 9 (but i'd be happy with a 8 as I've decided to start self studying the course)

A Levels

Spoiler:
Show

Maths, Further Maths and Psychology- For sure
Can't choose between biology, chemistry and economics

I hope I stick to this and would love to look back at this in the future and see how far I've come. Let me know if you read this and come and say hi✨

Feel free to post any advice or questions

ooh i'm about to hit submit idk why i feel so nervous but here goes nothing!!
Last edited by Study2212; 3 days ago
Study2212
Rep:
?
What I want to achieve by the end of the holidays:

finish making notes/ flashcards for biology, chemistry, physics, history, Macbeth and An Inspector calls
and possibly finish Further maths?

Fingers crossed i actually get this done

who wants a tag??
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Good luck!

With sciences you should be completely fine with self-studying. I self studied further maths iGCSE like you (wasn't confident enough to sit the exam though) and went on to self study most of my A-levels. It puts you in good practice for university though I wasn't very popular with a few teachers as a result.

Don't worry about your school, focus on yourself. Though probably capitalise on the poor performance of your school as much as you can with summer school/university applications and such like.

The only issue is with english and history you really need someone to check your essays and give you feedback. It cannot be learnt as mechanically or independently as science subjects. Everything is less cut and dry.

Are you looking to do something in maths in the future?
Study2212
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
Good luck!

With sciences you should be completely fine with self-studying. I self studied further maths iGCSE like you (wasn't confident enough to sit the exam though) and went on to self study most of my A-levels. It puts you in good practice for university though I wasn't very popular with a few teachers as a result.

Don't worry about your school, focus on yourself. Though probably capitalise on the poor performance of your school as much as you can with summer school/university applications and such like.

The only issue is with english and history you really need someone to check your essays and give you feedback. It cannot be learnt as mechanically or independently as science subjects. Everything is less cut and dry.

Are you looking to do something in maths in the future?
Thank you so much!!

And yes English and History is what im worried about the most. I'm gonna try and read as many exemplars and try and replicate top students writing styles as much as possible and watch yt for sure! Any tips?

I want to be a secondary school maths teacher!
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Study2212)
Thank you so much!!

And yes English and History is what im worried about the most. I'm gonna try and read as many exemplars and try and replicate top students writing styles as much as possible and watch yt for sure! Any tips?

I want to be a secondary school maths teacher!
That is a good idea. I don't really have many tips, at GCSE I just wrote in a way that came naturally to me. I posted my english papers on here quite a while ago but I think the associated dropbox was deactivated. The offline copies are on my laptop at home so I don't think I can repost but I will try to remember to get back to you.

Nice! If you have any questions about maths at A-level or university feel free to ask.
Study2212
Rep:
?
14th February 2020 18:37
Slept for abit. I'm going to look for history resources on quizlet and possibly English ones too so i don't have to waste time tomorrow looking for notes. I'm feeling quite excited to start properly revising tomorrow. Just hope that this motivation stays!!
Study2212
Rep:
?
14th February 2020 20:28
finished finding the resources that I needed. Might wake up at 7:30 am tomorrow as i have ALOT to do. I'm also feeling really sleepy right now. Going to pack my stuff away, eat something and go to bed. I'll write my to do list on here tomorrow.
Ngl my motivation is starting to fizzle away.
Spoiler:
Show
TakeALittleWalk you highkey inspired me to make this but idk how you've kept going. I already feel like giving up lol😪

TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
14th February 2020 20:28
finished finding the resources that I needed. Might wake up at 7:30 am tomorrow as i have ALOT to do. I'm also feeling really sleepy right now. Going to pack my stuff away, eat something and go to bed. I'll write my to do list on here tomorrow.
Ngl my motivation is starting to fizzle away.
Spoiler:
Show
TakeALittleWalk you highkey inspired me to make this but idk how you've kept going. I already feel like giving up lol😪

To answer, the gyg is a source of motivation for me. Knowing I've told myself to do something, knowing there are readers out there who expect me to do something. Essentially it's like a planner, but public. So it's got its pros and cons, you can't disappoint etc.

It's also fun and you look back a week later thinking why did I write that lmao

Make sure to tag me! I might do further maths (self-taught) as well; found this playlist I could binge the night before on youtube ahaha
Last edited by TakeALittleWalk; 3 days ago
Study2212
Rep:
?
(Original post by TakeALittleWalk)
To answer, the gyg is a source of motivation for me. Knowing I've told myself to do something, knowing there are readers out there who expect me to do something. Essentially it's like a planner, but public. So it's got its pros and cons, you can't disappoint etc.

It's also fun and you look back a week later thinking why did I write that lmao

Make sure to tag me! I might do further maths (self-taught) as well; found this playlist I could binge the night before on youtube ahaha
Thank you so much!! I'll bear all of that in mind!
Can you send me the link for the yt playlist please
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Thank you so much!! I'll bear all of that in mind!
Can you send me the link for the yt playlist please

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...m4432peZ7Jow6r
Study2212
Rep:
?
15th February 2020 09:42
Guess who didn't wake up at 7:30?🙋🏾*♀️ But its fine i guess I could've woken up way later. Gonna quickly get out of bed and have breakfast brb
Study2212
Rep:
?
15th February 2020 10:32
Revision Day 1

I'm back and ready to get stuck in..

What i want to get done by today:

Spoiler:
Show
3 chapters biology
3 chapters chemistry
3 chapters physics
chemistry homework (due tomorrow for tuition)
3 chapters usa
3 chapters germany
3 chapters medicine
1.5 chapters superpower relations
3 detailed quotes on Macbeth did 1 quote
3 detailed quotes on An Inspector Calls
Analysis on hide and seek poem

red = complete

And if i have enough time...

Spoiler:
Show
further maths geometry- notes and exam questions

pheww I'm already tired from typing all of this down
It's gonna be interesting to see if I get all of this done. I'll be updating in breaks/ when I've finished each task
I'll be happy to give or take any advice x

Spoiler:
Show

Last edited by Study2212; 2 days ago
Study2212
Rep:
?
15th February 2020 12:20

3 chapters of physics complete but I've decided to skip the practicals and make notes on them next week. Gonna take a 15 min break and get Superpower relations, USA and biology done before lunch. Wish me luck!!!

Updating after Lunch. See ya!
Study2212
Rep:
?
I ACTUALLY GIVE UP!!!! LIKE IM LITERALLY IN TEARS THESE STUPID FLASHCARDS ARE TAKING AGES TO MAKE AND I DOUBT THAT IM ABSORBING ANY OF THE INFO. UGHHHHH
IM DONE. FOR REAL

_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I ACTUALLY GIVE UP!!!! LIKE IM LITERALLY IN TEARS THESE STUPID FLASHCARDS ARE TAKING AGES TO MAKE AND I DOUBT THAT IM ABSORBING ANY OF THE INFO. UGHHHHH
IM DONE. FOR REAL

sorry to hear your frustration.

flash cards don't work for everyone. i have found that simply reading the textbook until I understand enough to write it out in my words. copying the textbook verbatim perhaps isn't too helpful.

i hope you find a way that works for you. IGNORE people who insist your method doesn't work if it does for you.
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
IM DONE. FOR REAL

Keep going the pain now is far lighter than the potential pain that could follow ygm philosophy and dat
Study2212
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by _gcx)
sorry to hear your frustration.

flash cards don't work for everyone. i have found that simply reading the textbook until I understand enough to write it out in my words. copying the textbook verbatim perhaps isn't too helpful.

i hope you find a way that works for you. IGNORE people who insist your method doesn't work if it does for you.
Thank you! its just the process of making them is soo long and i hardly have anytime to see if its effective for me and on top of all of that exam practice
(Original post by TakeALittleWalk)
Keep going the pain now is far lighter than the potential pain that could follow ygm philosophy and dat
Wise words! Thank you🤗

trying to come up with an effective revision method! Might make a seperate thread asking for suggestions?
Study2212
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
15th February 2020 19:45
so today didnt really go to plan as we can clearly see.... honestly not in the mood right now and will probably go to bed. Ended up doing my chemistry homework for tommorrow and that's about it.

night
Peoplesguy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
gl
TakeALittleWalk
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
15th February 2020 19:45
so today didnt really go to plan as we can clearly see.... honestly not in the mood right now and will probably go to bed. Ended up doing my chemistry homework for tommorrow and that's about it.

night
I was going to say it this morning but that workload was way too much. You've seen my blog lol remember all my posts and dramatic anger as a result of telling myself I'd do like 420 subjects in a day lmao.
Cut down slightly. Just slightly. And keep going. From your posts and organisation I can tell you'll probably do as well as me, if not, better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (159)
66.81%
No (79)
33.19%

Watched Threads