The Student Room Group

Anyone doing Aeneid Book 11?

I would be thrilled to find someone else who is also doing Book 11 of the Aeneid for AS / A-Level Latin. There are hardly any past papers or resources online, so it would be amazing if we could share our experiences with it and pool our tips :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I am doing it! It’s probably the most boring part of Aeneid and the questions asked will probably be about grief or how is it made effective, it will probably be my worst literature in the exam
Reply 2
Original post by XbibbleX
I am doing it! It’s probably the most boring part of Aeneid and the questions asked will probably be about grief or how is it made effective, it will probably be my worst literature in the exam

Hello! :smile: It's so nice to have found someone else who's doing it! It certainly is one of the most miserable books of the Aeneid, but I think there is nevertheless plenty of interest to explore in terms of pietas, relationship between gods and men and so forth...

Are you preparing for the AS or the A-Level exams, and are you in Year 12 or Year 13? What aspects of the text have you studied so far? How are you finding understanding the language?

To give a bit of background, I don't do Latin at school but am self-teaching myself the AS-Level, hence feeling a bit in the dark with this. The other text I'm doing is Cicero's Philippics II, but I'm working on the Aeneid first.
Hi I did Aeneas 11 for my year 12 and now I’m continuing it for my year 13 exams
Reply 4
Original post by louise2002
Hi I did Aeneas 11 for my year 12 and now I’m continuing it for my year 13 exams

Awesome! How do you find it? What aspects of the text have you studied?
Original post by Gwil
Hello! :smile: It's so nice to have found someone else who's doing it! It certainly is one of the most miserable books of the Aeneid, but I think there is nevertheless plenty of interest to explore in terms of pietas, relationship between gods and men and so forth...

Are you preparing for the AS or the A-Level exams, and are you in Year 12 or Year 13? What aspects of the text have you studied so far? How are you finding understanding the language?

To give a bit of background, I don't do Latin at school but am self-teaching myself the AS-Level, hence feeling a bit in the dark with this. The other text I'm doing is Cicero's Philippics II, but I'm working on the Aeneid first.

I’m in year 13 and doing it for my A-level, I’m also doing Cicero and it’s probably my favourite. Aeneid is very repetitive and I’ve annotated all the sections, I can send you my annotations somehow if that helps. We looked at the relationship between Aeneas, Pallas and Evander mostly and how Aeneas is grieving more because he feels he’s let Evander down for letting his son die than that Pallas is dead. A lot of the language is to do with sadness and grieving and maestus is used a lot but my teacher gave us a translation and I’m better at learning word for word than trying to translate it.
Original post by Gwil
Awesome! How do you find it? What aspects of the text have you studied?

I have done the part which is the response to the death of Pallas and then for a level I did camilla
Reply 7
I’m in year 13 and doing it for my A-level, I’m also doing Cicero and it’s probably my favourite. Aeneid is very repetitive and I’ve annotated all the sections, I can send you my annotations somehow if that helps. We looked at the relationship between Aeneas, Pallas and Evander mostly and how Aeneas is grieving more because he feels he’s let Evander down for letting his son die than that Pallas is dead. A lot of the language is to do with sadness and grieving and maestus is used a lot but my teacher gave us a translation and I’m better at learning word for word than trying to translate it.

Sending me your annotations would be amazing, thank you :smile: I have been reading through it slowly annotating it as I go along, but there's the constant worry that I'm missing something important, since I don't have a teacher for guidance.

I have done the part which is the response to the death of Pallas and then for a level I did camilla

Cool! Since I'm only doing the AS-Level I'm just doing the section on Pallas's funeral, which is what I'm working on now. What kinds of questions have you had for essays / assignments?
Original post by Gwil
Sending me your annotations would be amazing, thank you :smile: I have been reading through it slowly annotating it as I go along, but there's the constant worry that I'm missing something important, since I don't have a teacher for guidance.

Cool! Since I'm only doing the AS-Level I'm just doing the section on Pallas's funeral, which is what I'm working on now. What kinds of questions have you had for essays / assignments?

Sure I can defo send you my annotations, where should I send them to you though, I need to take a picture of them because there’s soo many
Original post by Gwil

I’ve done some 20 markers, which I know you wont do but it may help to think about the text as a whole to help with understanding.

20 markers - Virgil presents war as wholly lamentable - how far do you agree ?
- Virgil uses the Aeneid to expose the consequences and ramifications of war
- Pallas funeral is the defining moment in book 11 (basically an essay about wasted youth)
- both the gods and mortals have equal roles in war
- women have more agency than men in book 11

15 markers have mainly been the usual
A passage followed by
- How does Virgil evoke pathos in this seen
- how does Virgil glorify war in this scene
- How does Virgil characterise Aeneas in this scene
-How does Virgil make this seen shocking

I literally have my AS style notes on hand right now as well if you want I can send you pictures of all the style notes I have, all the practice questions Ive done, the past papers my school have made up and more notes.
I know it will be quite a lot but you could always sift through it all and decide what would be helpful and what wouldn’t?
Reply 10
I’ve done some 20 markers, which I know you wont do but it may help to think about the text as a whole to help with understanding.

- Pallas funeral is the defining moment in book 11 (basically an essay about wasted youth)

A passage followed by

I literally have my AS style notes on hand right now as well if you want I can send you pictures of all the style notes I have, all the practice questions Ive done, the past papers my school have made up and more notes.
I know it will be quite a lot but you could always sift through it all and decide what would be helpful and what wouldn’t?

Even seeing the essay titles is amazingly helpful, thank you so much :smile:

That would be so helpful, especially the practice essays and past papers! I will PM you. Gratias tibi ago! :biggrin:

Sure I can defo send you my annotations, where should I send them to you though, I need to take a picture of them because there’s soo many

Thanks so much, I will PM you!

Please can you send them to me too! I'd really appreciate it.
We're doing Aeneid book 11 and then Cicero philipics 2. I absolutely LOVE cicero but I cannot stand the aenied, I absolutely hate it 😭

A passage followed by

We're doing Aeneid book 11 and then Cicero philipics 2. I absolutely LOVE cicero but I cannot stand the aenied, I absolutely hate it 😭
Original post by OL12345

Sure, can you message me your email or Instagram or something as it’s easier for me to send them all via that way. I’m not doing the exam anymore as far as I know due to covid-19
Original post by OL12345

Hi!! If you private message me with exactly what lines you’re doing from the Aeneid I will send you as much as I can if we are doing the same one! I hope that helps
I'm in year 12 and have to write a 20 marker discussing the role of grief in the Aeneid. This is the first 20 marker I've ever done. Does anyone have any tips? I'm also doing Book 11.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by lulu.saint
I'm in year 12 and have to write a 20 marker discussing the role of grief in the Aeneid. This is the first 20 marker I've ever done. Does anyone have any tips? I'm also doing Book 11.

I never had to do a 20 marker on Aeneid 11 but I’d suggest looking at grief from all different perspectives e.g the traditional mourning, Evander mourning Pallas, Aeneas mourning Pallas, Aeneas’ feeling of betrayal to Evander for letting his son die etc. Hope that helps!
I never had to do a 20 marker on Aeneid 11 but I’d suggest looking at grief from all different perspectives e.g the traditional mourning, Evander mourning Pallas, Aeneas mourning Pallas, Aeneas’ feeling of betrayal to Evander for letting his son die etc. Hope that helps!

Thank you - that’s super helpful! How many parapgraphs would you tend to do for a 20 marker?
Thank you - that’s super helpful! How many parapgraphs would you tend to do for a 20 marker?

Again I’m not too sure but I normally do 2 for a 15 marker so maybe 2 and a half to 3 for a 20 marker and aim for around 5-6 paragraphs I would say. Hope that helps!
Again I’m not too sure but I normally do 2 for a 15 marker so maybe 2 and a half to 3 for a 20 marker and aim for around 5-6 paragraphs I would say. Hope that helps!

When I say 2-3 I mean pages not paragraphs oops

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending