Vasiliki_apeir
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hello, I am third year student of Psychology at University of Derby, UK.
I am interested to apply for the Masters of Research degree in Developmental Neuroscience and Psychopathology at UCL ,UK.

I have studied the requirements of this masters degree course and I have obtained all that were mentioned (e.g. first class honours degree, internship, some relevant research experience, 2 publications, work experience with children etc.)

Does the reputation of the university I have been studying (university of Derby) really matter to enroll in UCL ?

Thanks in advanced !!
Admit-One
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Caveat: I haven’t worked at UCL and don’t have specific knowledge about their PG admissions process. I have worked in PG admissions for a RG Uni though.

In my experience, no, so long as it’s a recognised U.K. Uni, the ranking or perceived status does not make any difference to how you are considered.
Psychetechne
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
To agree with the above, but also to add... any perceived weakness in your prior institution will very readily be overlooked if you present yourself as a strong applicant. Particularly so for an MRes, where your proposed area of research is of primary interest to the director of research/postgraduate admissions tutor.

If you already have a strong sense this is where you’d like to go, start reaching out now. Attend any and all public lectures, make contact with the docs/post-docs and ask to be invited to any closed events, talk to them about the areas you’re interested in and start floating ideas around for your own research...

You want them seeing your application and saying “Oh, that’s a familiar name!”
Vasiliki_apeir
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Psychetechne)
To agree with the above, but also to add... any perceived weakness in your prior institution will very readily be overlooked if you present yourself as a strong applicant. Particularly so for an MRes, where your proposed area of research is of primary interest to the director of research/postgraduate admissions tutor.

If you already have a strong sense this is where you’d like to go, start reaching out now. Attend any and all public lectures, make contact with the docs/post-docs and ask to be invited to any closed events, talk to them about the areas you’re interested in and start floating ideas around for your own research...

You want them seeing your application and saying “Oh, that’s a familiar name!”
Thank you so much for your comment.
It's really enlightening for me!
Vasiliki_apeir
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Caveat: I haven’t worked at UCL and don’t have specific knowledge about their PG admissions process. I have worked in PG admissions for a RG Uni though.

In my experience, no, so long as it’s a recognised U.K. Uni, the ranking or perceived status does not make any difference to how you are considered.
Thank you! I hope to be accepted in this programme because I genuinely want to!
Psychetechne
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Vasiliki_apeir)
Thank you so much for your comment.
It's really enlightening for me!
You’re welcome... just remember the deadline for applications to that programme is very soon. Good luck!
Vasiliki_apeir
Rep:
?
(Original post by Psychetechne)
You’re welcome... just remember the deadline for applications to that programme is very soon. Good luck!
Thank you!
Yes I know I have already applied!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (377)
67.2%
No (184)
32.8%

Watched Threads