Do some people enjoy studying medicine? Should I leave? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am a current third year medical student. I have been dealing with depression and anxiety for around 8 years and honestly since day 1 of medical school, I dont know if it is for me.

There are a few reasons I want to quit:
1. I think family pressure and expectations got to me in career decision.
2. I see so many amazing people genuinely fascinated by the topics, when to me, trying to read even one page feels like torture.
3. quite a childish reason, but I dont feel ready at all to be an FY1. The idea of lives depending on me horrifies me.
4, I hate placement and hospitals
5. I am just plain not happy. I see friends and family travelling and I want to be free like that. I know ts glorifying the other side, and maybe my depression playing tricks on me, but the idea of my future being mapped out makes me feel so trapped.

Reasons to stay:
1. I worked my whole life to get here.
2. Might as well get a degree out of it
3. What the hell else will I do? Medicine feels like the easy option, and I dont know what I want at ALL.
4. What if i spend my whole life regretting leaving?
5. I do admire doctors for their noble career and it is a stable job. It saves lives.

Basically I am so conflicted and paralysed, I cant concentrate on studying. I need to at least pass the year.

Please help.
Mollyanne2003
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Can you take a year out? Medical leave for anxiety? I would say talk to your tutors talk to your lecturers or mentors about this - they will have seen this situation before and can help!
suitepee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am a current third year medical student. I have been dealing with depression and anxiety for around 8 years and honestly since day 1 of medical school, I dont know if it is for me.

There are a few reasons I want to quit:
1. I think family pressure and expectations got to me in career decision.
2. I see so many amazing people genuinely fascinated by the topics, when to me, trying to read even one page feels like torture.
3. quite a childish reason, but I dont feel ready at all to be an FY1. The idea of lives depending on me horrifies me.
4, I hate placement and hospitals
5. I am just plain not happy. I see friends and family travelling and I want to be free like that. I know ts glorifying the other side, and maybe my depression playing tricks on me, but the idea of my future being mapped out makes me feel so trapped.

Reasons to stay:
1. I worked my whole life to get here.
2. Might as well get a degree out of it
3. What the hell else will I do? Medicine feels like the easy option, and I dont know what I want at ALL.
4. What if i spend my whole life regretting leaving?
5. I do admire doctors for their noble career and it is a stable job. It saves lives.

Basically I am so conflicted and paralysed, I cant concentrate on studying. I need to at least pass the year.

Please help.
Is there any reason why you do not enjoy placements and being in hospitals?

I just wanted to say a point specifically about 3 - I am not a doctor, but I am a mental health social worker and I therefore work in an integrated health/social care environment and work alongside a lot of doctors. I can promise you that NO ONE feels ready to be a doctor. And for me, I did not feel ready to be a qualified social worker. The first safeguarding enquiry I ran independently as a qualified professional I was terrified, the first mental capacity assessment I did where I was making a decision in someones best interest which they did not want I felt awful. Even now, nearly 3 years qualified, I have times where I come across situations I have never dealt with before and I feel completely out of my depth. But you always find a way to manage. And the sooner we accept that there WILL be times where we make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes could have a potentially serious impact on someone - the better. The importance thing is to learn from your mistakes.

And as someone who works with FY1s - you have support from your colleagues.

Medicine may not be right for you, but I would hesitate from making a decision if you are feeling depressed. If you are not in treatment, get some treatment, get some talking therapy, and talk it out with someone. If it's not for you, then you can move on knowing that you know it is not for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (442)
59.09%
Yes- I don't like it (40)
5.35%
No- I want it (216)
28.88%
No- I don't want it (50)
6.68%

Watched Threads