GOGSoc Episode VIII: I'm a surviva!

Watch
Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
It took us 5 years, but we've definitely done a lot of moaning, that's for sure :mad: Thanks to Noodlzzz for the thread title suggestion!

Links to previous threads:

First one: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=356899

Second one: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=653487

Third one: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=792620

Fourth one: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1452254

Fifth one: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1905179

Sixth one: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post40648770

Seventh one: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2929441

:mad: :mad: :mad:
Slowbro93
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Tagging in the top 30 posters from last time:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd )
x
(Original post by jelly1000 )
x
(Original post by Pixsoul )
x
(Original post by Slowbro93 )
x
(Original post by Craghyrax )
x
(Original post by Ethereal )
x
(Original post by Interrobang )
x
(Original post by madamemerle )
x
(Original post by sj27 )
x
(Original post by Anndee )
x
(Original post by apotoftea )
x
(Original post by Kitty Pimms )
x
(Original post by scarlet ibis )
x
(Original post by ice_cube )
x
(Original post by Perfectly_Imperfect )
x
(Original post by punctuation )
x
(Original post by Josb )
x
(Original post by Jangrafess )
x
(Original post by Jantaculum )
x
(Original post by Motorbiker )
x
(Original post by Obsidian )
x
(Original post by Piggsil )
x
(Original post by Serentonin )
x
(Original post by Helenia )
x
(Original post by Musicalie )
x
(Original post by SmashConcept )
x
(Original post by llacerta )
x
(Original post by Noodlzzz )
x
(Original post by QHF )
x
(Original post by arguendo )
x
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
:awesome:
Anndee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah, here we are now. I had been a little confused
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
:jumphug:
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Love the title :teeth:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The title is SO good, cannot be denied :adore:

Been beavering away today at my complaint against my current uni. We're nearly ready to make a submission to the OIAHE (Office of the Independent Ajudicator for Higher Education) :ninja:
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
The title is SO good, cannot be denied :adore:

Been beavering away today at my complaint against my current uni. We're nearly ready to make a submission to the OIAHE (Office of the Independent Ajudicator for Higher Education) :ninja:
Oh good luck! Complaint-making can be stressful, so be kind to yourself :hugs:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Oh good luck! Complaint-making can be stressful, so be kind to yourself :hugs:
Thanks. It's all been going on 1.5 years now. Def quite stressful, doh! :nopity: Though some movements in the right direction (in terms of this not happening to other students) have already been made, so that is good I guess
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Thanks. It's all been going on 1.5 years now. Def quite stressful, doh! :nopity: Though some movements in the right direction (in terms of this not happening to other students) have already been made, so that is good I guess
It is good - there were staff at my undergrad university that were able to continue *questionable* methods due to students being afraid to complain, so you're definitely doing the right thing for yourself and others!
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just unstuck the old GOGSoc thread, and stuck this one to the top.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
It is good - there were staff at my undergrad university that were able to continue *questionable* methods due to students being afraid to complain, so you're definitely doing the right thing for yourself and others!
Thank you :hugs: Sorry to hear that about your undergrad uni though
Anndee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
TLG, it's great to hear that your complaint has already made life better for other students! I hope it is successful in the end. The stuff unis get away with because students are too scared of recriminations or too intimidated by the complaints process is really horrifying.

I'm done with my corrections, sent them off to my supervisor to make sure I'm meeting the examiners' expectations and haven't overlooked anything. I can't actually sent the corrected version in anyways as I'm still awaiting the official "viva outcome letter" from my university.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anndee)
TLG, it's great to hear that your complaint has already made life better for other students! I hope it is successful in the end. The stuff unis get away with because students are too scared of recriminations or too intimidated by the complaints process is really horrifying.

I'm done with my corrections, sent them off to my supervisor to make sure I'm meeting the examiners' expectations and haven't overlooked anything. I can't actually sent the corrected version in anyways as I'm still awaiting the official "viva outcome letter" from my university.
Thank you. Tbh I'm not expecting much from the OIA complaint but at least even if the outcomes remain the same and College doesn't offer anymore money than what they previously did, I can accept that money knowing that it's not blood money anymore? Or at least is less so than it was before? Coz if I'd accepted their "goodwill gesture" ( :nothing: ) earlier, that would have been agreeing to close the case and accepting that what they have said/done is now rectified :hmmm:

Well done about the corrections, that's fantastic that you've been able to do them quite speedily! :hugs:
Anndee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
TLG, I totally understand your reasoning. Fingers crossed!

To those who have already submitted corrections: did you also have to submit another soft-bound thesis with the corrections? And, once it comes to printing and hard-binding, can you recommend companies that send them? It's proving really difficult to find a place abroad that could do it to UK thesis standards. And when it comes to graduation, did anybody actually buy their gown? I'm wondering if it's worth it, as I won't be working in academia much straight away but might eventually return, depending on the job market. I'll also remain attached to my institute, so might attend some "gown-wearing" events in the future?
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anndee)
TLG, I totally understand your reasoning. Fingers crossed!

To those who have already submitted corrections: did you also have to submit another soft-bound thesis with the corrections? And, once it comes to printing and hard-binding, can you recommend companies that send them? It's proving really difficult to find a place abroad that could do it to UK thesis standards. And when it comes to graduation, did anybody actually buy their gown? I'm wondering if it's worth it, as I won't be working in academia much straight away but might eventually return, depending on the job market. I'll also remain attached to my institute, so might attend some "gown-wearing" events in the future?
No I didn't have to submit another soft bound thesis. I printed my hard bound thesis through the university. I didn't buy a gown but working in academia you may need it more!
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First ever grant submitted!

Upgrade viva is on pancake day - coincidence? I think not
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)

Bribe them with pancakey offerings... :mmm:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)

OMG pancake day :gah: Need to buy myself a big jar of Nutella :coma:

Good luck for your upgrade viva :hugs: :woo: :rave:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (198)
60%
No (72)
21.82%
Not sure (60)
18.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed