maggiehodgson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
P(A) =0.48 P(B)= 0.64 P(AnB) - 0.13

I did a table for this and got the same answers as the book for the following P(AuB), P(B'), P(AnB') but for P(AuB') I got 0.49 and the book says it's 0.36. Isn't it P(A) + P(B')- P(AnB')? If not, why does the rest of my table work?
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by maggiehodgson)
P(A) =0.48 P(B)= 0.64 P(AnB) - 0.13

I did a table for this and got the same answers as the book for the following P(AuB), P(B'), P(AnB') but for P(AuB') I got 0.49 and the book says it's 0.36. Isn't it P(A) + P(B')- P(AnB')? If not, why does the rest of my table work?

Agree with your answer. The book cannot be correct since P(AuB') >= P(A) = 0.48. Ergo, book is @%#&"
maggiehodgson
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Agree with your answer. The book cannot be correct since P(AuB') >= P(A) = 0.48. Ergo, book is @%#&"
Thank you. What would I do without TSR!
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by maggiehodgson)
Thank you. What would I do without TSR!
You're welcome.

Notice the reasoning in my post:

The probability of the union of two (or more) events is greater than or equal to the probability of either event by itself.

You can use this as a confidence check. If your result fails that test, then you know there's something wrong. If it doesn't fail it of course then it tells you nothing about the correctness of your working.
maggiehodgson
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)
You're welcome.

Notice the reasoning in my post:

The probability of the union of two (or more) events is greater than or equal to the probability of either event by itself.

You can use this as a confidence check. If your result fails that test, then you know there's something wrong. If it doesn't fail it of course then it tells you nothing about the correctness of your working.
Oh yes.
Not only do I have the edexcel yr2 A level book but also the AQA one. They both seem to be error prone. I suppose that because I bought them as soon as they came out they hadn't been tested thoroughly. Perhaps future editions will be better. Always an optimist.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (431)
67.77%
No (205)
32.23%

Watched Threads