I NEED URGENT ADVICE! (GCSE Related) Watch

Legitboss123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My problem is that I've missed 1year and a half of my GCSE course abroad and i left the UK in Yr 9 and now im in year 11 but ive ALL year 10 and half year 11 and im planning on going back to the UK next month and now i only have at least 2 and a half months left until the gcse exam and i still feel like im not prepared enough and i don't have a school yet so my question was do you think i should look and apply for a school now while im abroad or when i go back because im worried that when i go back and look for a school it will waste more time and i might not even find one so should i apply for a school now or when i go back.

Another quick thing is that because I've missed nearly all of the GCSE content i should take only 5 GCSE'S including english literature (if possible)

So plz reply ASAP I'm really desperate and been really worried and depressed about this recently so plz answer ASAP.

Thank you.
Smoop
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Legitboss123)
My problem is that I've missed 1year and a half of my GCSE course abroad and i left the UK in Yr 9 and now im in year 11 but ive ALL year 10 and half year 11 and im planning on going back to the UK next month and now i only have at least 2 and a half months left until the gcse exam and i still feel like im not prepared enough and i don't have a school yet so my question was do you think i should look and apply for a school now while im abroad or when i go back because im worried that when i go back and look for a school it will waste more time and i might not even find one so should i apply for a school now or when i go back.

Another quick thing is that because I've missed nearly all of the GCSE content i should take only 5 GCSE'S including english literature (if possible)

So plz reply ASAP I'm really desperate and been really worried and depressed about this recently so plz answer ASAP.

Thank you.
I think you should definately apply sooner rather than later just to avoid that stress, a few people I went to school with did this and only had a few months too and I'm pretty sure they did quite well and did literature!
I would say literature has quite a lot of content to learn however and the work load may seem like lot. Butt if you're confident in the subject/ enjoy the subject you should definately go for it, I think most schools would let you do literature.

Also I'm sure cause of your circumstances there'll be extra support for you! Best of luck, i hope it all works out!
JScooper888
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Legitboss123)

Thank you.
I think you should reply sooner rather than later, it will definitely avoid some street, you need to concentrate on study when you get back, 5 GCSES are better than none. If you've missed over a year it will be lots of hard work and commitment. English Literature has lots of content, but it is a strong GCSE so go for it if you think you can do it. Maybe explain your situation to the schools you apply to and perhaps they can help with your situation and give you some focused tutoring. I expect a fair amount of what you have studied abroad will cross over with the GCSE content so hopefully you will be ok.
MadMathsMum
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You will need to look at the "in year admissions policy" for the UK schools that you want to apply to. Many state funded schools are oversubscribed and can only consider you for a place once you are able to provide and prove your home address within the UK.
At this stage it is possible that many schools may not welcome a student who has missed so much schooling. The risk for the school is that if you perform poorly, you will impact negatively on their GCSE results this summer. Additionally as you have not been on role at a school, the school will not receive any funding for you.

Once you are in the UK, the local authority for the area in which you live will have a legal responsibility to find you a school place and they will direct you to schools with their borough with places remaining.

If you know which area of the UK you will be returning, contact the local council education department and ask for details of the schools that have available places. You can then start contacting them to find out if there is a chance of a place for you.

It is possible that some local authorities may consider you for entry into year 10 - it may be worth asking the question - giving you the chance to make up a year of the GCSE course.

Please note that I have answered in relation to state funded schools/ academies. Independent schools may have different policies - these should be published .
Good luck
Legitboss123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks to all you guys for the advice I really appreciate it but I have one last question do I need to look and apply for a sixth form now or after year 11?
a_elise
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Different Sixth Forms have different policies on when to apply but a lot of Sixth Forms are running interviews now / in a few weeks so maybe just look up the Sixth Forms in the area you'll be living and see when they accept applications until (if no information is available you could email the school).
Best of luck
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd consider asking for a place in the current Year 10 and take your GCSEs in 2021. It's likely to make things a lot easier in the long run.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (347)
60.35%
Yes- I don't like it (30)
5.22%