Advice on burning neck pain Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I am waiting to book in to see the doctor but was wondering whether anyone could give me any advice or information. So I’ve had this long running issue where when I’m at work or (in the past) have been at work experience I’ve experienced a burning sensation between my shoulder blade and neck on the left side, in the trapezius muscle toward my neck. If I don’t rest or lay down it gets so bad to the point where I’m unable to turn my head. The movements I usually do is probably standing for long hours or like bending down to pick things up. I went to the doctors a while ago and he basically shrugged it off saying I have an inflamed muscle, gave me naproxen to take and said no more. I took the tablets and they did temporarily stop the pain but as I’m posting this it has come back. I’m just wondering whether anyone has any experience with this or advice they can give me as I have work tomorrow and I don’t want to be in so much pain but I don’t want to have to go home or not attend as I’m fairly new and it’ll give a bad impression.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Hey, i am a 3rd year physiotherapy student, and this is deffo not medical advice as you should seek that at your gp or go to your physiotherapy outpatients to check this on this as cervical pain can have many causes.
it sounds like you have some muscle tightness which can cause pain and it may be from your posture. You can try to correct your posture. Look in the mirror to see your alignment between your head and your trunk. is your head protracted towards the front? increased muscle activity and tightness between your shoulder blades can also cause referred pain towards your neck and may also cause headaches in certain cases.

You can also try to stretch these muscles and apply ice in the morning to reduce the swelling or a warm shower in the morning to release the tension. Maybe dont stack your pillows when you are sleeping as high pillows can cause your head to be in an awkward position. also try to modify your position at work.

Please please check with your GP or physiotherapist for professional advice and exercises. This is NOT medical advice, just trying to help.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey, i am a 3rd year physiotherapy student, and this is deffo not medical advice as you should seek that at your gp or go to your physiotherapy outpatients to check this on this as cervical pain can have many causes.
it sounds like you have some muscle tightness which can cause pain and it may be from your posture. You can try to correct your posture. Look in the mirror to see your alignment between your head and your trunk. is your head protracted towards the front? increased muscle activity and tightness between your shoulder blades can also cause referred pain towards your neck and may also cause headaches in certain cases.

You can also try to stretch these muscles and apply ice in the morning to reduce the swelling or a warm shower in the morning to release the tension. Maybe dont stack your pillows when you are sleeping as high pillows can cause your head to be in an awkward position. also try to modify your position at work.

Please please check with your GP or physiotherapist for professional advice and exercises. This is NOT medical advice, just trying to help.
Hi, thank you for your response and yes I am planning to phone the doctors as soon as possible because sometimes the pain can be so bad that it hurts to turn my head to the side. I’ve been trying to correct my posture but I’m struggling to know how to. I admit I do tend to tilt my head forward and I am always looking down towards my phone. I tried this stretch where you sit on your affect side hand well place it under the thigh and using my right hand I tilted my head towards my armpit and I felt a huge stretch there and since I’ve done that it seems that the pain has dramatically subsided. I’ve been researching and the pain I have seems to be the levator scapulae area? Would the symptoms I get be similar to tightness in that area? Some movements with my left arm I can feel like movement in the area as if something is going over a bone but I’m not too sure. Thank you for your help I appreciate it a lot but I can reassure you I will be going to a GP or even a private physio as soon as I can because the pain I get seems to be when standing up for a long time or using more movement than usual in my upper body.
hotchocolate66
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This either could be muscle tightness or a herniated/bulging cervical disc issue. I have several bulging discs in my cervical spine which give me headaches and neck pains so do get a check up and a scan.
Arsenalbro
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
call nhs 111
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
yeah its me again (3rd yr physio student). the stretches u can do is, sitting down comfortably and moving your head back and forth like doing the chicken dance with your head, but focus on going back and holding it then release as the head position will then cause the muscle to move to the length that it is supposed to be (kind of like teaching the muscle where it should be rather than maintaining it in an abnormal position). You can also stretch your trapezius, or press down on your trapezius to try and find any trigger points. (even i have some trigger points because my muscles are tight and pressing it can be painful but it helps resolve the "knots" in your muscles) - maybe get someone to press it for you around the shoulder blade as well while youre lying down.

The thing you feel above the bone when you are moving your shoulder is possibly the supraspinous tendon over your humerus bone and i would recommend strengthening your rotator cuffs because shoulder impingement can cause you shoulder pain if unmanaged well. if you are concerned, the movement of moving your hand above your head may increase the risk the most because you are closing the space for the tendon there, but usually it is fine unless your shoulder blade is not in a good position because of muscle weakness and so closes the space even more, causing symptoms.

In terms of cervical disc, again, scans and medical professionals will help but common symptoms for disc bulge are pins and needles down affected arm, reduced sensation, reduced range of movement in specific directions etc etc.

Do not stretch to pain, stretch to where you feel is comfortable, and increase the range from there. find some heat packs or a warm towel on the muscle before and during stretching will also help with lengthening muscles.(hold it for like 10-15 seconds or so each stretch, stop if painful) Put a head support on your chair so your head feels more supported if u can?
Again , NONE of this is actual professional advice, just from what i learnt and also what i kinda experience. Good that you are going to a medical professional.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
yeah its me again (3rd yr physio student). the stretches u can do is, sitting down comfortably and moving your head back and forth like doing the chicken dance with your head, but focus on going back and holding it then release as the head position will then cause the muscle to move to the length that it is supposed to be (kind of like teaching the muscle where it should be rather than maintaining it in an abnormal position). You can also stretch your trapezius, or press down on your trapezius to try and find any trigger points. (even i have some trigger points because my muscles are tight and pressing it can be painful but it helps resolve the "knots" in your muscles) - maybe get someone to press it for you around the shoulder blade as well while youre lying down.

The thing you feel above the bone when you are moving your shoulder is possibly the supraspinous tendon over your humerus bone and i would recommend strengthening your rotator cuffs because shoulder impingement can cause you shoulder pain if unmanaged well. if you are concerned, the movement of moving your hand above your head may increase the risk the most because you are closing the space for the tendon there, but usually it is fine unless your shoulder blade is not in a good position because of muscle weakness and so closes the space even more, causing symptoms.

In terms of cervical disc, again, scans and medical professionals will help but common symptoms for disc bulge are pins and needles down affected arm, reduced sensation, reduced range of movement in specific directions etc etc.

Do not stretch to pain, stretch to where you feel is comfortable, and increase the range from there. find some heat packs or a warm towel on the muscle before and during stretching will also help with lengthening muscles.(hold it for like 10-15 seconds or so each stretch, stop if painful) Put a head support on your chair so your head feels more supported if u can?
Again , NONE of this is actual professional advice, just from what i learnt and also what i kinda experience. Good that you are going to a medical professional.
sorry, supraspinatus tendon
Anonymous #1
(Original post by hotchocolate66)
This either could be muscle tightness or a herniated/bulging cervical disc issue. I have several bulging discs in my cervical spine which give me headaches and neck pains so do get a check up and a scan.
(Original post by Arsenalbro)
call nhs 111
Thank you for the responses, I’m hopefully going to ring my doctors as soon as possible to get it checked out. I don’t think it’s anything major to have to receive any medical help right now as when I rest the pain dies down significantly and when I last went to my doctor he didn’t seem too bothered but I will get it checked out ASAP to try find out what’s causing it. Thank you once again.
Anonymous #1

I’ll try do those exercises and hope it works but it’s so strange as I regularly play football and have never had this pain and I’m fairly active. It seems it only comes when working and moving things or standing still for prolonged periods of times and keeping my neck upright. I work on tills too so maybe reaching down to my left side to scan the items could have irritated it and cause it to become inflamed because my muscles aren’t used to it as it’s a new job to me. I don’t have any pain down in my arm or reduced sensation it’s mostly in that area of the muscle I mentioned as I looked at trigger points and it seemed to be exactly where my pain was coming from. I will admit I don’t have much upper body strength compared to leg strength so I do think it may most likely be down to poor muscle tone and use. But I will get it checked ASAP like I mentioned, thank you for your response.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (431)
58.64%
Yes- I don't like it (40)
5.44%
No- I want it (214)
29.12%
No- I don't want it (50)
6.8%

Watched Threads