Maximus 190
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I was wondering why when finding the vector with minimum distance (magnitude) between two skew lines in 3D space that the vector is always perpendicular to each line? I’m finding it difficult to visualise in my head and was wondering if there was a website to see this visually or an explanation that could help?
Last edited by Maximus 190; 1 week ago
mqb2766
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Maximus 190)
I was wondering why when finding the vector with minimum distance (magnitude) between two skew lines in 3D space that the vector is always perpendicular to each line? I’m finding it difficult to visualise in my head and was wondering if there was a website to see this visually or an explanation that could help?
just imagine a line passing near the origin.
Draw circles of increasing radius (centered on the origin) until they just touch the line (the line is a tangent)
That is the minimum distance from the origin and the line is perpendicular to the radius which represents the distance.
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/94f1dwt1np

Another way to think of it is to consider a point on the line and form a right angled triangle where the line connecting the origin to that point is the hypotenuse and the adjacent side connects the origin perpendicularly to the line (The opposite side is the line segment along the original line). By definition, the hypotenuse is always larger than the adjacent, unless they're equal.

Same for 2 lines except you have a "tangent" at each end.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 week ago
Maximus 190
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
just imagine a line passing near the origin.
Draw circles of increasing radius (centered on the origin) until they just touch the line (the line is a tangent)
That is the minimum distance from the origin and the line is perpendicular to the radius which represents the distance.
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/bdov40kkeo

Same for 2 lines except you have a "tangent" at each end.
Oh yeah that’s interesting. I like that! And obviously with a sphere in 3D space, the centre will always be the midpoint of the vector between the two lines with the vector between the two tangents being a diameter through the sphere. Thank you!
mqb2766
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Maximus 190)
Oh yeah that’s interesting. I like that! And obviously with a sphere in 3D space, the centre will always be the midpoint of the vector between the two lines with the vector between the two tangents being a diameter through the sphere. Thank you!
Its used in the definition of a line (2D) and plane (3D). Imagine a line in described by
ax + by = c
where a^2+b^2=1 (unit magnitude). Then c is the perpendicular distance of the line from the origin. Obviously, when the (a,b) coefficients are not unit magnitude, you can nomalise them (and the right hand side) by dividing by the value. Its a cheap way to determine the distance of a line from the origin. The vector (a,b) is the unit normal or the direction of the perpendicular connector.

Same with a plane in 3D
ax + by + cz = d
when a^2 + b^2 + c^2 = 1, then d is the perpendicular distance from the origin and as you say is the radius of a sphere which has the plane as a tangent. The vector (a,b,c) is the unit normal or the direction of the perpendicular connector.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 week ago
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Name:  perpdistance.png
Views: 3
Size:  11.1 KB

By Pythagoras theorem the length of the hypotenuse in black is
 \sqrt{x^2 +y_1^2}

Now  y_5 < y_4 < y_3 < y_2 < y_1 \implies \sqrt{x^2 +y_5^2} < \sqrt{x^2 +y_4^2} < \sqrt{x^2 +y_3^2} < \sqrt{x^2 +y_2^2} < \sqrt{x^2 +y_1^2}

This means as that hypotenuse gets closer and closer to the black line its length gets smaller. In other words as the line gets closer to the normal (perpendicular line) it's size gets smaller. Now imagine this triangle spinning around a z axis, then the distance between two points can be thought of as calculating the distance on a 2D slice (plane), so the same rule applies in 3D.
Meowstic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
if you didn't set off perpendicular to the line then you are making some component of the displacement along the line, so you could just start there instead and get an even shorter distance
Maximus 190
Rep:
?
(Original post by Meowstic)
if you didn't set off perpendicular to the line then you are making some component of the displacement along the line, so you could just start there instead and get an even shorter distance
Yeah, I guess if I accept that there will always be a vector perpendicular to each line then this is the simplest answer, thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?