lightsabir
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
What sort of budget would you guys set yourselves a week/month? I'm thinking of setting myself a budget of £50 a week (on everyday purchases, food, drinks, outings). Would this be ideal?
princetonalec
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I'm going to assume that you're a first year student, but if I'm wrong I apologise for that.
First you need to deduct your rent from your matinence loan. This might leave you with some money left over, or it might go into your savings like mine did. From here you take whatever money is or is not left, see how many weeks until your next payment comes in, and divide the amount left by the number of weeks. This is the easiest way to find out how much you have to spend.
I personally only normally spend £20 a week, if that, normally with laundry costs included. Granted I don't really drink or go out, but consider where you spend your money when it comes to food. Try and avoid takeouts and ready meals, and learn how to cook. You could get a single serving lasagna for £2, or get some meat, pasta sheets, red and white sauce for about £4-£6 and end up with 6 servings. Thats a £8-£6 saving if you kept buying that £2 lasagna. Same goes for shepards pie and what not; it all freezes perfectly well.
Ultimately just make sure you're not overspending. Try to go one or two days a week without spending anything if you can, see if you and your mates can batch cook to spread out the cost of food, and never buy lunch on campus. My dad is the line manager for a company which makes a bunch of those two go sandwiches: costs them pennies to make, and they charge you pounds.
So ultimately £50 a week sounds like a lot to me when, if you're smart, you could probably get away with £30 a week and put that extra £20 away for a rainy day or a night out.
nathan1403
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I'd say it very much depends on your lifestyle. There's people that cook all meals at home, barely buy new clothes, don't go lots of places, never go out, and live off less than £20 a week; there's also people that constantly eat out, go clubbing, buy new designer shoes, book weekend trips to all sorts places, you get the gist

I spend about £250 per month after rent and bills, which I'd say is about average and more than enough to treat yourself to a pizza or new top every now and again. But really it depends on what you want so have a think about that first
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 hour ago
I think that is fair enough
Personally most months I spend about that or less
I try to save most of my money so if any oppotunity comes up to go out and see something or have a trip away for the weekend that I don't stress about money
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (43)
24.43%
No, but I have thought about it (48)
27.27%
No (85)
48.3%

Watched Threads