How many protests have you been to? Watch

Ferrograd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've been to 6, although one of them was just myself standing outside my library that was under threat of closure with a sign, and another one was with someone else on a school strike climate thing, we just went around some banks and the council HQ with signs.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
0, nobody to go with. My parents wouldn't allow me go alone.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
0, nobody to go with. My parents wouldn't allow me go alone.
Ah, I mean I haven't been to any in London, I don't think they'd allow me to go to one of those. Two were on my local high street, the rest were in the city centre about 10 minutes away on the train. what protests would you go to?
hehwhat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
3 anti brexit ones. (people's vote technically). I brought more of my family and friends to each one. They were lots of fun, entertaining posters, lots of eu flags and a really nice atmosphere. I loved them and I want another pro eu one, even though brexit's supposedly happened (
Arthur_Morgan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
One, but it was just me in my room protesting Jared Leto being Joker back when he was cast as him.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
Ah, I mean I haven't been to any in London, I don't think they'd allow me to go to one of those. Two were on my local high street, the rest were in the city centre about 10 minutes away on the train. what protests would you go to?
I don't feel comfortable sharing
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have been caught up in two unintentionally.

One was during my first ever visit to Tate Britain, as a young child. I saw a protest march go past and joined it for about two minutes.
Second was last year whilst in Paris, where there was a rally by Jean Luc Melachon, the left wing politician who nearly came third in the 2017 Presidential Election.
steamed-hams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
the one at school were we 'protested against rising tuition fees' however it was just an hour out of class. it was such a poor performing school few would actually make it to uni. in fact i doubt majority knew what tuition fees were, i didnt then
Toscana
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
none. i'd probably go to brexit protests if the remain side won though lol
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
None, and I have no intention of doing so

I have no doubt that ‘protesting’ as a whole has been diluted to something that the bandwagon-hopping kids do to have a day off school/college, just to then bizarrely tell everyone how much of a ‘good’ a person they are afterwards because oh yes, they paraded around for a bit with a plaque which had some platitude on it
You see kids protesting everywhere if a protest just so happens to be on a Friday, but what about if it’s on a Saturday or a Sunday? The kids are nowhere to be seen because they’re all too busy doing something so much more important, you know, like being with friends or whatever... It really does show just how much they care about it, and it’s as though having a day off of whatever isn’t a driving factor behind their attendance...

And yes I’m talking about the ‘climate strikes’, which solely consist of blocking roads and intentionally being a complete nuisance to everyone, potentially even including the emergency services (which unfortunately has and does happen)
It’s pathetically hypocritical to protest in this fashion about this subject, considering that most of these kids will have gone to the protest in mummy and daddy’s big fuel-guzzling car, to then go back home in the same manner and then sit in a life of luxury with the heating on full whilst using all of their devices... Again, they don’t care too much about this big problem then do they?
As much as I’m fervent about ‘solving’ climate change, I will be frank and say that the ‘protests’ have done nothing more than trivialise the matter, and even cast it in a negative light to a lot of people simply because of, you guessed it: the ‘protests’

So no, I’ve never ‘protested’, aka done something just because it’s trendy and it allows you to have a day off of whatever; but unfortunately that’s all ‘protesting’ means to a lot of the people in the progressive, ‘Western’ world, regardless of how much they claim to care so much about the problem
Last edited by Kian Stevens; 1 week ago
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oddly only one.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kian Stevens)
None, and I have no intention of doing so

I have no doubt that ‘protesting’ as a whole has been diluted to something the bandwagon-hopping kids do to have a day off school/college, just to then bizarrely tell everyone how much of a ‘good’ a person they are afterwards because oh yes, they paraded around for a bit with a plaque which read some platitude on it
You see kids protesting everywhere if a protest just so happens to be on a Friday, but what about if it’s on a Saturday or a Sunday? The kids are nowhere to be seen because they’re all too busy doing something so much more important, you know, like being with friends or whatever... It really does show just how much they care about it, and it’s as though having a day off of whatever isn’t a driving factor behind their attendance

And yes I’m talking about the ‘climate strikes’, which solely consist of blocking roads and intentionally being a complete nuisance to everyone, potentially even including the emergency services (which unfortunately has and does happen)
It’s pathetically hypocritical to protest in this fashion about this subject, considering that most of these kids will have gone to the protest in mummy and daddy’s big fuel-guzzling car, to then go back home in the same manner and then sit in a life of luxury with the heating on full whilst using all of their devices... Again, they don’t care too much about this big problem then do they?
As much as I’m fervent about ‘solving’ climate change, I will be frank and say that the ‘protests’ have done nothing more than trivialise the matter, and even cast it in a negative light to a lot of people simply because of, you guessed it: the ‘protests’

So no, I’ve never ‘protested’, aka done something just because it’s trendy and it allows you to have a day off of whatever; but unfortunately that’s all ‘protesting’ means to a lot of the people in the progressive, ‘Western’ world, regardless of how much they claim to care so much about the problem
You couldn't be further from the truth. You seem to miss the complete point of a "climate strike" - who would really care if kids were just missing their weekends? I protest all days, all of them except one have been about the closure of local libraries.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1, the Liberty and Livelihood March of 2002 opposing the ban on fox hunting.

I still support fox hunting.
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You couldn't be further from the truth. You seem to miss the complete point of a "climate strike" - who would really care if kids were just missing their weekends? I protest all days, all of them except one have been about the closure of local libraries.
And nowhere did you actually explain how or why I ‘couldn’t be further from the truth’... So tell me, why is this the case?

There is no point in a ‘climate strike’: please enlighten me as to what they categorically achieve, or at the very least set out to achieve, because if their objective is to prevent people from using their cars etc. and think twice about climate change then it simply isn’t working
After all of the ‘climate strikes’ that have happened in Sheffield, I can conclude that all they’ve done is close many roads off and ultimately disrupt the the lives of virtually everyone; this happens all over the country as well, so massive disruptions due to ‘climate strikes’ isn’t just exclusive to Sheffield
What they haven’t done though is stopped the kids who are protesting go off and be the world’s biggest hypocrites for the day after the ‘protest’, because if they genuinely cared that much they’d practice what they (apparently) preach... Of course, they don’t

I honestly commend you for protesting about your library, and I will actually give you the encouragement to continue, but... My reply was directed towards the ‘climate strikes’, which have undoubtedly become nothing more than the new trendy thing for kids to do to miss school, and not directed towards people protesting against the closure of their local library
Just because you personally don’t align with what I said in my comment doesn’t mean that I ‘couldn’t be further from the truth’, because I can assure you that many kids do in fact align with it: it’s naive to say that the kids do care about what they’re ‘protesting’ about and aren’t only doing it to miss school, even though they’re ‘missing their weekends’... No, they simply couldn’t care less about it on the weekends, as there’s no incentive—i.e. missing school—to ‘protest’ on those days

I’ve said this for ages, but I have no doubts that these kids would ‘protest’ and pretend to care about anything if it meant they had the guaranteed opportunity to miss school for the day; it just so happens that everyone’s favourite ‘protests’ going on right now are for climate change, and I just can’t wait to see what they’ll be about next
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've been to 6, although one of them was just myself standing outside my library that was under threat of closure with a sign, and another one was with someone else on a school strike climate thing, we just went around some banks and the council HQ with signs.
Did you go to Anti-Brexit protest or extinction rebellion?
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How many have achieved their goal?
ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just the one but it was,erm, interesting.
It ultimately led to myself having a lovely day out in court, not for the day itself but for avoidance of tax.

https://youtu.be/FRj2K0ulD8Q

What was it some have said about us oldies, we don't know how to protest? 😂😂
Last edited by ColinDent; 1 week ago
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

One against the student loan rises when a friend dragged me along - we even got kettled :lol:

The other was a rally against Kurz in Vienna i ran into.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
1, the Liberty and Livelihood March of 2002 opposing the ban on fox hunting.

I still support fox hunting.
Who on earth makes a livelihood out of having dogs shred a fox to pieces?
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
Who on earth makes a livelihood out of having dogs shred a fox to pieces?
That is what the march was called, although I would imagine that someone has to keep all those hounds fed and trained.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (442)
59.09%
Yes- I don't like it (40)
5.35%
No- I want it (216)
28.88%
No- I don't want it (50)
6.68%

Watched Threads

Latest