Moll.987
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello, I seem I just cannot get the right answer for partial fraction of 1/(x(x-1)(x+1)) using the cover up rule, would be a massive help if you could do a step by step just so I can see where my mistake is, Thank-you for reading
dextrous63
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Can you show what you have achieved so far?
David Getling
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Moll.987)
Hello, I seem I just cannot get the right answer for partial fraction of 1/(x(x-1)(x+1)) using the cover up rule, would be a massive help if you could do a step by step just so I can see where my mistake is, Thank-you for reading
Firstly, check that you fully understand the cover up rule, as this question is incredibly easy using it. You are either not using it properly or making a mistake in your mental arithmetic.

Secondly, it's very important that you know how to do these questions by the more general method.

However, just to get you started, for the A/x part you cover up the x and substitute 0, getting A = 1/(-1 x 1) = -1.
Moll.987
Rep:
?
(Original post by dextrous63)
Can you show what you have achieved so far?
Hello, thank you for responding however I have now successfully completed the question
Moll.987
Rep:
?
(Original post by David Getling)
Firstly, check that you fully understand the cover up rule, as this question is incredibly easy using it. You are either not using it properly or making a mistake in your mental arithmetic.

Secondly, it's very important that you know how to do these questions by the more general method.

However, just to get you started, for the A/x part you cover up the x and substitute 0, getting A = 1/(-1 x 1) = -1.
Hello, thank you for replying, I have now done it using the cover up rule, as there was an error in my mental arithmetic
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?