rapid weight gain? Help Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
ok so do I need to help? do you think I'm suffering from.an eating disorder at all? I know people on TSR wont know l, you guys arent doctors but what do you think? I lost weight about in the summer of 2019. A lot. But my weight loss slowed down and as a result I got tired of calorie counting for so long.

I stopped calorie counting and started binging on take aways and fast food basically making up for everything that I missed out on while losing weight for so long. I did put on some weight when I checked the scale in november but I didnt care too much enough to calorie count again. in the summer (In June) I was 10 stone and 10 In November I was 11 stone and 4 pounds. And currently in Febarury I am 12 stones 7 pounds. I've put on so much weight in a small amount of time and almost back to my starting weight.

Is this an eating disorder? do I need help? and if so who do j go to help to and how?
errrr99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
don't panic, it is common to gain all the weight lost by dieting
Anonymous #1
(Original post by errrr99)
is it actually? I'm so sorry for the terrible grammar btw. I really should read eveything over before uploading
Anonymous #1
(Original post by errrr99)
is it common in that amount of time? like I gained over a stone in 3 months
errrr99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is not medical advice, this is Adele's method that worked for her.

(1) Hypnotherapy to figure out the reasons behind her over-eating. (any other therapy may be equivalent if you prefer)

(2) Cutting out processed/fast food and sugar.

This is a popular method which has some scientific evidence behind it for sustained weight loss as far as I know
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think that the diet you followed originally probably wasn’t the right one for you as you couldn’t sustain it
Not necessarily an eating disorder , it just wasn’t an eating plan that you can follow forever.
I’ve lost a lot of weight, almost six stones by calorie counting and I’ve kept it off for two years. I do have days when I eat too much but then I have to cut back so that I don’t gain too much.
You need to do some research and find an eating plan that you know you can follow for many years. You might have cut your calories too low.
Don’t beat yourself up. You’ve done it before and you can do it again
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Sammylou40)
I think that the diet you followed originally probably wasn’t the right one for you as you couldn’t sustain it
Not necessarily an eating disorder , it just wasn’t an eating plan that you can follow forever.
I’ve lost a lot of weight, almost six stones by calorie counting and I’ve kept it off for two years. I do have days when I eat too much but then I have to cut back so that I don’t gain too much.
You need to do some research and find an eating plan that you know you can follow for many years. You might have cut your calories too low.
Don’t beat yourself up. You’ve done it before and you can do it again
Thank you so much for your response. This was quite motivational to read. Maybe it was too low. I was on 1200 calories. Maybe I should have done 1300 calories. Who knows. Since then I have left meat, not for health reasons its more ethical reasons though I still sat fish. This has only been going on since 2020 started so I'm new to it
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you so much for your response. This was quite motivational to read. Maybe it was too low. I was on 1200 calories. Maybe I should have done 1300 calories. Who knows. Since then I have left meat, not for health reasons its more ethical reasons though I still sat fish. This has only been going on since 2020 started so I'm new to it
1300 is not too bad but it depends on many factors
Have you calculated your tdee?
Just google a tdee calculator and it will tell you how many calories you need to maintain your weight. You should aim to reduce that by 500 per day so losing around 1ld per week. Just don’t drop below 1000.
Remember to recalculate periodically as it lessens as you lose weight.
You’d lose weight a little slower but you’re far more likely to be able to keep it off.
If you eat mostly fresh healthy food then you shouldn’t be hungry.
It is tough. I know that. But it can be done
Anonymous #1
1300 is not too bad but it depends on many factors
Have you calculated your tdee?
Just google a tdee calculator and it will tell you how many calories you need to maintain your weight. You should aim to reduce that by 500 per day so losing around 1ld per week. Just don’t drop below 1000.
Remember to recalculate periodically as it lessens as you lose weight.
You’d lose weight a little slower but you’re far more likely to be able to keep it off.
If you eat mostly fresh healthy food then you shouldn’t be hungry.
It is tough. I know that. But it can be done
I've just checked that out now. I.appreciate all the info.
Btw how would I recalculate? Like if i did lose weight again to 10stones 10 pound and I was still.doing 1300 calories and it didnt work, would I need to start having less calories when the weight slows down?
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've just checked that out now. I.appreciate all the info.
Btw how would I recalculate? Like if i did lose weight again to 10stones 10 pound and I was still.doing 1300 calories and it didnt work, would I need to start having less calories when the weight slows down?
When you’ve lost some weight then put your info in again and get a new calculation for calories.
If you need 2000 now to maintain then you drop to 1500. If it goes to 1800 to maintain then drop to 1300 etc.
That’s why weight loss seems quicker to start because a bigger body needs more calories just to function. The less you weigh the slower weight loss can be. When that happens then either you need to just accept slower losses or up your exercise to burn a little more.
If you want I’ll be a weight loss buddy for you and you can pm me anytime
Anonymous #1
When you’ve lost some weight then put your info in again and get a new calculation for calories.
If you need 2000 now to maintain then you drop to 1500. If it goes to 1800 to maintain then drop to 1300 etc.
That’s why weight loss seems quicker to start because a bigger body needs more calories just to function. The less you weigh the slower weight loss can be. When that happens then either you need to just accept slower losses or up your exercise to burn a little more.
If you want I’ll be a weight loss buddy for you and you can pm me anytime
Thank you so much for the support! I'll very likely message you at some point, but I can only start calorie counting again when Sunday is over (I have a family wedding on that day).

How did you manage to stay away from Fast Food or genuinely unhealthy foods? how did you manage your sugar cravings?
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
ok so do I need to help? do you think I'm suffering from.an eating disorder at all? I know people on TSR wont know l, you guys arent doctors but what do you think? I lost weight about in the summer of 2019. A lot. But my weight loss slowed down and as a result I got tired of calorie counting for so long.

I stopped calorie counting and started binging on take aways and fast food basically making up for everything that I missed out on while losing weight for so long. I did put on some weight when I checked the scale in november but I didnt care too much enough to calorie count again. in the summer (In June) I was 10 stone and 10 In November I was 11 stone and 4 pounds. And currently in Febarury I am 12 stones 7 pounds. I've put on so much weight in a small amount of time and almost back to my starting weight.

Is this an eating disorder? do I need help? and if so who do j go to help to and how?
Diets don't work in the long term, that's why you've given up and just binged on loads of food. You have to slowly introduce things, get into new habits, create an exercise schedule you can actually stick to for the rest of your life and generally improve your diet. You need to think about weight loss over the long term.

You could start with limiting take-aways to only one a month, then one every two months when you feel able etc. You could tell yourself that you'd like to eat one piece of fruit a day or do 30 minutes of some exercise that you enjoy and feel you could maintain every couple of days. Instead of driving to somewhere nearby, choose to walk. If you normally snack between meals, limit it to one snack a day or none and focus on only the three meals a day. Alter your portion sizes. Get yourself into these little habits and over time, you should see a difference.

If you can't stop yourself from binging on foods, then it can be indicative of an emotional eating issue which you could possibly see your doctor about and maybe look at seeing a a counsellor about.
Last edited by -Eirlys-; 1 week ago
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you so much for the support! I'll very likely message you at some point, but I can only start calorie counting again when Sunday is over (I have a family wedding on that day).

How did you manage to stay away from Fast Food or genuinely unhealthy foods? how did you manage your sugar cravings?
Try not to go mad on Sunday. You can still make reasonably healthy choices.
Honestly, it would be impossible to stay away from fast food forever. Whilst I was losing weight I really didn’t eat any. But now I have a little every now and again. Once every couple of weeks or so.
Sugar is my big downfall even now. It’s really down to willpower. Make sure there’s none in the house so you can’t be tempted at home. If you are rewarding yourself for something, good results etc then don’t reward with food If you avoid sugar completely for 5 days then apparently the cravings go.
I love chocolate and I do eat a little every few days but add it in to my calorie count. But just a tiny bit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (336)
60.65%
Yes- I don't like it (29)
5.23%
No- I want it (150)
27.08%
No- I don't want it (39)
7.04%

Watched Threads