The Student Room Group

Which subjects can I teach with neuroscience?

Hiya,

I was just wondering, what subjects (secondary level) would i be able to teach with a neuroscience degree? I’ve heard that your degree must be 50% of the subject you want to do a PGCE in - does neuroscience contain enough biology to become a biology teacher? Or maybe even chemistry?

Thank you very much for any replies x
Reply 1
anyone? :frown:
I don't know tons about neuroscience, but I would think you'd be able to teach biology or chemistry. Even if you couldn't go straight into it, because there's such high demand for science teachers, you can do an SKE course, which goes over what you need to know to teach the subject. These are for where you studied the subject at a-level but not degree level, or did your degree a while ago. If you weren't able to go straight into teacher training, you could do an SKE, which would probably be funded, and then go onto the teacher training.
Maybe try phoning/emailing the unis you're thinking of applying to and ask about their science PGCE requirements. Also have a look on the get into teaching website, as I imagine they'll have some stuff on there.
Original post by lanababe78
Hiya,

I was just wondering, what subjects (secondary level) would i be able to teach with a neuroscience degree? I’ve heard that your degree must be 50% of the subject you want to do a PGCE in - does neuroscience contain enough biology to become a biology teacher? Or maybe even chemistry?

I would have thought Biology for a definite, and by extension GCSE science more generally. You'd probably need to go through your modules to see just how much 'biology' there was in your degree, but I"m sure there'd be sufficient. If you have A level chemistry (which I'm guessing you have), then you could think about a SKE course to teach that - the same with physics (a SKE course is a short course taken to bump your (usually existing) knowledge up a bit so you can teach that subject at secondary)
Original post by lanababe78
Hiya,

You could very likely teach psychology, primarily biological psychology. I'm not sure if you would require more general knowledge of the human body to be a biology teacher, but I know you learn about the nervous system, hormones and things at a cellular level, so possibly! I guess as long as you can show you can understand biological concepts and information, that's all that matters. :smile:
All I know is I would've enjoyed having a neuroscience class in school! :P
Original post by -Eirlys-
You could very likely teach psychology, primarily biological psychology. I'm not sure if you would require more general knowledge of the human body to be a biology teacher, but I know you learn about the nervous system, hormones and things at a cellular level, so possibly! I guess as long as you can show you can understand biological concepts and information, that's all that matters. :smile:
All I know is I would've enjoyed having a neuroscience class in school! :P

Most secondary schools don't teach psychology, unless they have a sixth form, then they might.
OP would be best of teaching science, doing a SKE course if needed.
Original post by remussjhj01
Most secondary schools don't teach psychology, unless they have a sixth form, then they might.
OP would be best of teaching science, doing a SKE course if needed.

Oh yes, I didn't think of that!
You will be able to teach all sciences at GCSE without problem. It is unlikely that you would need an SKE - depending on your degree (I am using Bristol's neuroscience degree modules for an example). It is also likely that you would be able to teach Biology at A level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending