fiixnaa
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I’m a Year 12 student considering doing medicine at uni and I’m doing Biology, Chemistry and Psychology at A-Level and I’m worrying whether I’ll actually meet the requirements and what my alternative options would be for the subjects I’m studying.

For some background, my GCSE grades were between Grade 8-9 with 8s in Biology, Chemistry and Maths and a B in Further Maths.

At A-Level, I’ve realised that it’s a completely different ballgame than GCSE and as a result, my grades are completely different from what I’m used to. My college does assessments every term for all three subjects and we’re on our 4th set of assessments. Throughout these assessments my grades have been B (1 mark from A), C, B in chemistry, B, C, C (originally a D but I retook it) in biology and A*, A, B in psychology. I’m struggling with finding a proper revision technique which I’m trying to fix (what I did at GCSE clearly isn’t working) but these grades have made me question what I should do in the event that I don’t get AAA at the end of Year 13.

What other courses would be good alternative options for medicine with the A-Levels I’m studying? I’m considering biomedicine, but aside from that I’m not too sure.

(sorry for the waffle)
fairytopia
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i believe that most medicine programs prefer applicants with math at A-level. it probably varies among unis, but you should check to see if the ones you're thinking of applying to require math.

as for alternate subjects, biomedicine is similar to medicine, but that might mean that the grade requirements are also going to be quite high. have you considered maybe just straight biology, or psychology (as you seem to be doing best in that course)?

it's definitely not too late to get your grades up, so keep working hard and don't loose hope! you seem like a motivated student, but it is also good that you're proactive in seeking alternative options and being realistic with the situation. you're right in that making the grade requirements for medicine will be difficult, but like i said, it's definitely not impossible!
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maths is not a preferred A-level at most medical schools.

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-be-a-doctor/
Last edited by ageshallnot; 1 week ago
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by fiixnaa)
Hi, I’m a Year 12 student considering doing medicine at uni and I’m doing Biology, Chemistry and Psychology at A-Level and I’m worrying whether I’ll actually meet the requirements and what my alternative options would be for the subjects I’m studying.

For some background, my GCSE grades were between Grade 8-9 with 8s in Biology, Chemistry and Maths and a B in Further Maths.

At A-Level, I’ve realised that it’s a completely different ballgame than GCSE and as a result, my grades are completely different from what I’m used to. My college does assessments every term for all three subjects and we’re on our 4th set of assessments. Throughout these assessments my grades have been B (1 mark from A), C, B in chemistry, B, C, C (originally a D but I retook it) in biology and A*, A, B in psychology. I’m struggling with finding a proper revision technique which I’m trying to fix (what I did at GCSE clearly isn’t working) but these grades have made me question what I should do in the event that I don’t get AAA at the end of Year 13.

What other courses would be good alternative options for medicine with the A-Levels I’m studying? I’m considering biomedicine, but aside from that I’m not too sure.

(sorry for the waffle)
Medicine is very competitive and far more get rejected than accepted even with the best grades. Unless your grades improve greatly you would be wasting your time applying and even if they do you need to be aware that you risk being rejected. As for what else you can do there are many other options. There are courses in various other medicine fields such as pharmacy and thins like Cardiac Physiology. In recent years there have been some pharmacy courses in clearing at around BBB. Alternatively you could look at taking Psychology or a whole host of other options.

Perhaps the best thing for you to do is to work hard, see what grades you are achieving in the summer and attend open days to try and help you decide which option is best for you.

I attach the prospectus from Swansea University for their Health studies courses just to give you some ideas.

https://www.swansea.ac.uk/humanandhealthsciences/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed