The Student Room Group

Nothing to write on my personal statement

Right so im in year 12 and wanna do engineering at uni my grades are okayish i think i could get predicted an A*A*A maths chemistry physics (i know physics is more important for engineering but still) anyways besides the point
I dont have anything to write on my personal statement like i did two weeks of work experience in year 10, did ncs during summer and i might do some volunteering this summer but other than that i have nothing and im really really worried about it. I have no clubs or **** like that and i barely have any hobbies, dont have a job and dont do any extracurriculars so i dont know what to do between now and like october is it?
Don't worry too much about clubs and hobbies - it should be 80% academic. I was told that you should have 5 academic categories of things to talk about, e.g.

1. related work experience
2. books
3. university taster lectures
4. documentaries
5. self-motivated study course such as on FutureLearn of Skillshare or something like that.

Of course, there are lots of other things that you can do, but the key is that you should focus on things which highlight your love of engineering. There are lots of example personal statements on TSR, so you can get inspiration from those, but perhaps over half term do a basic engineering online course and sign up to a taster lecture somewhere - most schools will give you a day off to go!
Reply 2
Original post by Qxeen36
Right so im in year 12 and wanna do engineering at uni my grades are okayish i think i could get predicted an A*A*A maths chemistry physics (i know physics is more important for engineering but still) anyways besides the point
I dont have anything to write on my personal statement like i did two weeks of work experience in year 10, did ncs during summer and i might do some volunteering this summer but other than that i have nothing and im really really worried about it. I have no clubs or **** like that and i barely have any hobbies, dont have a job and dont do any extracurriculars so i dont know what to do between now and like october is it?

Why do you want to be an engineer. What sparked your interest?
Original post by Qxeen36

Your ps isn’t a list of hobbies. It needs to answer 3 questions:
1) does the applicant demonstrate an understanding of what the course involves
2) does the applicant demonstrate enough motivation and interest to get through 3+ years
3) does the applicant demonstrate any non academic skills required to succeed on the course (for engineering that means demonstrating that you’re capable of working in a team to tackle a project).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending