Are there any plumbers on here, I have a question? Watch

Redfrost
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Are there any plumbers on here? Im buying a new build house and have a quick question. Basically the house I am about to buy was broken into and someone stole the boiler from the kitchen. There was a large area of damp around the kicthen units and skirting board (as in the picture below). They dried it off with central heating and replaced the boiler. The house passed its routine inspection so i have to complete the purchase but ive no idea if the inspector will have checked under the kitchen units etc i imagine they just go round with a sheet and tick boxes. I paid £500 extra for the kicthen units so am concerned about damp underneath them.

There was no water on the worktop unde where they took the boiler from so im not sure how the floor ended up damp, do you think there is a burst pipe somewhere? Im not sure how the damp happened.

sorry the pic is sideways on
Attached files
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What warranty does the property come with?

Have you had a snagging survey done?
Last edited by DiddyDec; 1 week ago
Redfrost
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
What warranty does the property come with?

Have you had a snagging survey done?
Its 10 years I think. Ive not had the home demo yet apparantly Im the one who does the snagging
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Redfrost)
Its 10 years I think. Ive not had the home demo yet apparantly Im the one who does the snagging
Do you have any experience doing snagging surveys? If not, pay for someone to do it.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Are there any plumbers on here? Im buying a new build house and have a quick question. Basically the house I am about to buy was broken into and someone stole the boiler from the kitchen. There was a large area of damp around the kicthen units and skirting board (as in the picture below). They dried it off with central heating and replaced the boiler. The house passed its routine inspection so i have to complete the purchase but ive no idea if the inspector will have checked under the kitchen units etc i imagine they just go round with a sheet and tick boxes. I paid £500 extra for the kicthen units so am concerned about damp underneath them.

There was no water on the worktop unde where they took the boiler from so im not sure how the floor ended up damp, do you think there is a burst pipe somewhere? Im not sure how the damp happened.

sorry the pic is sideways on
DiddyDecAlt knows his stuff regarding property maintenance.
As for the boiler, if it's a standard combi boiler then the amount of water lost when it was ripped off the wall could be extensive. I'd be amazed if it hadn't caused serious damage to the floor and under the units: certainly more than just putting the heating on could solve.
Redfrost
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
DiddyDecAlt knows his stuff regarding property maintenance.
As for the boiler, if it's a standard combi boiler then the amount of water lost when it was ripped off the wall could be extensive. I'd be amazed if it hadn't caused serious damage to the floor and under the units: certainly more than just putting the heating on could solve.
The builders said that it wasnt ripped off and that whoever took it knew what they were doing. The floor is concrete it looks all dry now but with the kicthen units being mdf im just worried. Its passed its routine inspection but I dont know if they even looked under the kitchen units. I emailed the solicotor twice who forwarded my email to the inspector but she told me that we cant tell the inspector how to do his job and if he passes the house them im obliged to complete the purchase.

When i go to the home demo Im going to ask to look under the kitchen units but im not really sure what im looking for other than damp.
Redfrost
Rep:
?
Do you have any experience doing snagging surveys? If not, pay for someone to do it.
I thought about this, but how can they check the piper etc as they are within the walls Id imagine they just look for damp as i will be doing. Its the pipes in the walls im worried about as the damp must have come from somewhere. I dont get how there wasnt any water on the worktop under the boiler yet it was on the floor at the other side of the kitchen
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The builders said that it wasnt ripped off and that whoever took it knew what they were doing. The floor is concrete it looks all dry now but with the kicthen units being mdf im just worried. Its passed its routine inspection but I dont know if they even looked under the kitchen units. I emailed the solicotor twice who forwarded my email to the inspector but she told me that we cant tell the inspector how to do his job and if he passes the house them im obliged to complete the purchase.

When i go to the home demo Im going to ask to look under the kitchen units but im not really sure what im looking for other than damp.
Yes, to be fair the photos look like it was disconnected, rather than ripped off. Amazing.

As for the units, make sure the chipboard isn't blown and there isn't a funny musty smell or something. Other than that, I think DiddyDec has the right idea.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I thought about this, but how can they check the piper etc as they are within the walls Id imagine they just look for damp as i will be doing. Its the pipes in the walls im worried about as the damp must have come from somewhere. I dont get how there wasnt any water on the worktop under the boiler yet it was on the floor at the other side of the kitchen
The pipes should be fine, you will know as soon as water is running through them if there is a leak. Water works in mysterious ways, damp especially.

It is still worth getting a snagging survey as there can be lots of small things that are wrong that the builder is responsible for rectifying.

Easier to get them sorted right away than 6 months or even 2 years later.
Redfrost
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Yes, to be fair the photos look like it was disconnected, rather than ripped off. Amazing.

As for the units, make sure the chipboard isn't blown and there isn't a funny musty smell or something. Other than that, I think DiddyDec has the right idea.
I know its weird, I did have a feel at the bottom of the cupboard it felt a little spongy between my finger and thumb but one of my relatives had a feel and said she couldn’t feel anything. I’l look into getting a proper snag report then, thanks. They are expensive im barely managing the solicitor fees but I’l try and find the cheapest quote Thanks! Can they be done after completion?
Last edited by Redfrost; 1 week ago
Redfrost
Rep:
?
The pipes should be fine, you will know as soon as water is running through them if there is a leak. Water works in mysterious ways, damp especially.

It is still worth getting a snagging survey as there can be lots of small things that are wrong that the builder is responsible for rectifying.

Easier to get them sorted right away than 6 months or even 2 years later.
True, id love to know how the damp ended up under the units on the far end of the boiler though. I agree a snag survey would be a good idea, I’l def look into this, thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (445)
59.02%
Yes- I don't like it (42)
5.57%
No- I want it (217)
28.78%
No- I don't want it (50)
6.63%

Watched Threads