KateS85
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi everyone!! First time applying and first offer, still cannot believe it. Not allowed myself to look forward to the prospect of studying medicine until now, and it feels amazing (but also kinda daunting).

Does anyone know anything about the general cost of living as a student at Warwick? I have huge financial worries, as I'm aware we get reduced maintenance loans plus the £3500 we have to fork out towards tuition fees.
Katie986
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KateS85)
Hi everyone!! First time applying and first offer, still cannot believe it. Not allowed myself to look forward to the prospect of studying medicine until now, and it feels amazing (but also kinda daunting).

Does anyone know anything about the general cost of living as a student at Warwick? I have huge financial worries, as I'm aware we get reduced maintenance loans plus the £3500 we have to fork out towards tuition fees.
I've found this which is a comparison between postgraduate accommodations offered by the university, with a cost breakdown. Apart from this I'm not sure about how expensive the area is or if you'd be able to find cheaper housing with a private landlord?

https://warwick.ac.uk/services/accom...comparison.pdf
ZoeWMed
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by activeingredient)
Non-science here too. In the space of three days I have gone from the elation of the offer to the misery of being absolutely convinced I’m not good enough to do this, and having legit panic attacks.
Can completely relate to this, glad to know i'm not the only one, feel free to DM me
RosieOG
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don’t think it’s sunk in yet, not even a little, I keep having little blips of speechlessness with my thoughts going at 100mph... we’re going to be doctors guys 🤯🤯🤯🤯
Su O
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RosieOG)
I don’t think it’s sunk in yet, not even a little, I keep having little blips of speechlessness with my thoughts going at 100mph... we’re going to be doctors guys 🤯🤯🤯🤯
I kept the whole application secret up until the offer and now telling my family about it, I feel overwhelmed saying out loud 'Im going to study medicine'

I think not talking about it this whole time, I hadnt even realised how much I had internalised my anxiety over it, but omg we're going to be doctors!
Last edited by Su O; 1 month ago
Marathi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys, congrats on the offers. I'm a 3rd year at Warwick so am happy to answer any specific questions you might have now you've gotten a place.
SS869
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Non-science here too. In the space of three days I have gone from the elation of the offer to the misery of being absolutely convinced I’m not good enough to do this, and having legit panic attacks.
Hey all!!

To this I would say try not to worry- I know it's easier said than done. You are guys are going to kick ass! I come from a Medical Sciences background and was accepted into one of the only universities that would allow me in without chemistry. Trust me, you guys will take things seriously, many of us with science backgrounds will get complacent. In the end I ended up doing better in the chemistry modules than my friends did who actually sat it at A level. You can do anything you set your mind to- I believe in you all...
SS869
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SS869)
Hey all!!

To this I would say try not to worry- I know it's easier said than done. You are guys are going to kick ass! I come from a Medical Sciences background and was accepted into one of the only universities that would allow me in without chemistry. Trust me, you guys will take things seriously, many of us with science backgrounds will get complacent. In the end I ended up doing better in the chemistry modules than my friends did who actually sat it at A level. You can do anything you set your mind to- I believe in you all...
Oh plus... It will be so nice to share the experience with people from such different backgrounds. We will all definitely bring a new dynamic and that's amazing
phillymed
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah good old imposter syndrome! You are absolutely good enough - Warwick have decided that so embrace and enjoy your offer! They’re going to teach us what we need to know to become doctors so don’t stress too much about not having ‘background knowledge’! We’re all in this together and plus we will be in big groups as part of our case based learning where there will be diversity in ug degrees
Jiminibillybob
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
@marathi I have a very important question I want to commute on 2 wheels, is there changing areas/showers/lockers etc available??
Last edited by Jiminibillybob; 1 month ago
activeingredient
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks, guys, for your kindness and reassurance <3 Impostor syndrome is very real. I'm pushing through the fear and trying to remind myself of why I wanted to do this in the first place*.

You're a lovely lot. Cheers.

(*) SCRUBS. The clothing, not the show. I'm all about the scrubs.
LF_95
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi everyone! Just got my offer today and joining this thread feels like being punched by the Phoenix from The Social Network 😂 So looking forward to eventually meeting everyone, we’re in this for the long run together!
biomed__
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey did anyone else have a southampton interview? And if so are you waiting to hear back from them before you make a decision? Im going to wait but I am undecided on who to confirm at the moment if I get a Southampton offer too.
username4975842
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by phillymed)
Hey everyone! So grateful to be here - this is my third time applying for medicine, but first time I managed an interview as my ucat was too low beforehand! I'm in my final year of uni (MBio - was originally BSc but transferred to the 4 yr course when I didnt get in to med last year) Biomedical science at Warwick! It's an amazing uni - I absolutely love it there and I'm sure you all will too Can't wait to return in September as a med student and meet all of you who decide to accept!! Eeek, exciting times
I'd be happy to answer any q's anyone has about Warwick and the surrounding areas
Congratulations, second year applying for me 😊 I was wondering how the campus facilities are? I’ve heard the library is really small, both the main library and the BioMedGrid (I think that’s what it’s called) but that’s not the end of the world tbh. How long does it take to commute from Leamington Spa to university via bus? And how is the public transport in general in the area? I think I’ll live in Leamington because it looks really nice!!
MasterChiefJoss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anonfuturemedic)
Congratulations, second year applying for me 😊 I was wondering how the campus facilities are? I’ve heard the library is really small, both the main library and the BioMedGrid (I think that’s what it’s called) but that’s not the end of the world tbh. How long does it take to commute from Leamington Spa to university via bus? And how is the public transport in general in the area? I think I’ll live in Leamington because it looks really nice!!
The bus to the uni (from Leam) is good and regular - trip time can be anywhere from 20-40 minutes depending on the time of day. There is a pass for students which wasn't completely exorbitant when I was there. Leamington has good transport links to London, Coventry and Birmingham via train too.

The main university library is quite big from memory though I didn't use it much. No Idea on the BioMedGrid.
KateS85
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Katie986)
I've found this which is a comparison between postgraduate accommodations offered by the university, with a cost breakdown. Apart from this I'm not sure about how expensive the area is or if you'd be able to find cheaper housing with a private landlord?

https://warwick.ac.uk/services/accom...comparison.pdf
Ah thanks for that! I’m thinking about getting a shared house (if anyone else fancies it too) but that’s deffo a useful resource
ZoeWMed
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm leaning towards leamington as it sounds nicer than Cov haha. Me and my partner are moving up together, is there much to do in the town? Much in the way of shops, gyms, theatre etc? I'm coming from a fairly big city so will be a change!
SS869
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Student finance for 2020-21 applicants opened today for anyone wanting to apply
Jwheath
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m planning on driving from Birmingham so does anyone know if you can park on campus? Or is there parking nearby that would be convenient? Thanks
Jiminibillybob
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jwheath)
I’m planning on driving from Birmingham so does anyone know if you can park on campus? Or is there parking nearby that would be convenient? Thanks
only pay and display as far as i know, which would get pretty expensive pretty quickly. Not really anywhere to park around there either
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.58%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
14%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (136)
33.42%

Watched Threads