failed final exam,face withdrawing, what do do next, please

Watch
An2020
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
almost qualified, but will never be . I am signed off from my management placement with very good feedbacks from mentor and patients, but I failed my final academic exam. I never felt great talking publicly, verbal exam makes me feel panicking, I feel nervous, forget things and or talk much, don't complete it in time.
I failed last attempt, the marker was moderated, so grade is final. I am still awaiting for feedback. I spoke to module and programme leaders, and was told that due to Programme Policy those who did not manage to pass will be failed and withdrawn from the programme be withdrawn from the programme.
Yes, I can appeal against inappropriate exam handling, but chances to win are tiny, almost 0% . Also that this will draw attention to their professional suitability, which I, as a professional, cannot do. (even, if I will never become one, still cannot allow myself to do so).
I struggled a lot, with grades below average, I had a long 5 years journey to get to where I am now. I am very mature student, now feel empty, miserable and ashamed, with no certainty and directions in future. I did not consider any other degree and was determine to be a nurse, regardless the cost. Still do.
I have a lot of commitments, cannot let myself suffer, so try to talk and reflect. If I am thrown away with no qualifications, what chances are mine to get back on the same course? I read a lot, and see that many universities are very cautious about accepting failed students on the same course. What can I do now? I am dreadful om my future
paub
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what. thats a joke. so your a competent nurse but because you flunked a none critical test they will stop you nursing madness. will they permit you to do that block again
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by An2020)
almost qualified, but will never be . I am signed off from my management placement with very good feedbacks from mentor and patients, but I failed my final academic exam. I never felt great talking publicly, verbal exam makes me feel panicking, I feel nervous, forget things and or talk much, don't complete it in time.
I failed last attempt, the marker was moderated, so grade is final. I am still awaiting for feedback. I spoke to module and programme leaders, and was told that due to Programme Policy those who did not manage to pass will be failed and withdrawn from the programme be withdrawn from the programme.
Yes, I can appeal against inappropriate exam handling, but chances to win are tiny, almost 0% . Also that this will draw attention to their professional suitability, which I, as a professional, cannot do. (even, if I will never become one, still cannot allow myself to do so).
I struggled a lot, with grades below average, I had a long 5 years journey to get to where I am now. I am very mature student, now feel empty, miserable and ashamed, with no certainty and directions in future. I did not consider any other degree and was determine to be a nurse, regardless the cost. Still do.
I have a lot of commitments, cannot let myself suffer, so try to talk and reflect. If I am thrown away with no qualifications, what chances are mine to get back on the same course? I read a lot, and see that many universities are very cautious about accepting failed students on the same course. What can I do now? I am dreadful om my future
If your university withdraws you from your course due to academic failure, then the chances of another institution accepting you onto the same course are practically zero. It's also taken you longer than it should have done (5 years and counting), presumably due to having to re-enrol in modules/placements in previous years.
paub
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
If your university withdraws you from your course due to academic failure, then the chances of another institution accepting you onto the same course are practically zero. It's also taken you longer than it should have done (5 years and counting), presumably due to having to re-enrol in modules/placements in previous years.
could have been an access to nursing course.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by paub)
could have been an access to nursing course.
Read his post. Access courses don't have 'management places with patient feedback' in them.
paub
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Read his post. Access courses don't have 'management places with patient feedback' in them.
before they started there nurse training it would add upto 5 years if the access course was part time. my daughter did intro to care, access to nursing and nursing thats 5 years with no resits.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you have failed all possible resits, and retaking the module/year isn't an option, then the only way to continue on your current course would be to have grounds to appeal. If not, then you will have to accept their decision to withdraw you. You could ask if there are any 'exit' qualifications you could receive or go on to do.

It may be very difficult to get onto another nursing degree course if you have already been withdrawn from one. I believe that there are apprenticeship routes into nursing, so that may be viable for you. More info about that is here: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and...pprenticeships
paub
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you say you have social difficulties speak to student support they may suggest an alternative exam an it may just get you one more chance.
strawberry46
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry to hear this as i know what it takes to complete a 12 weeks management placement and to be signed off as competent. If high anxiety during verbal exams is something you have suffered with, maybe getting a medical note for that may help the university consider you for another chance. Have you seen your doctor about this in the past, may be a medical report will help. You have jumped alot of huddles to get to this point, please don't let this slide. Wishing you the best!
Adriarna
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by strawberry46)
Sorry to hear this as i know what it takes to complete a 12 weeks management placement and to be signed off as competent. If high anxiety during verbal exams is something you have suffered with, maybe getting a medical note for that may help the university consider you for another chance. Have you seen your doctor about this in the past, may be a medical report will help. You have jumped alot of huddles to get to this point, please don't let this slide. Wishing you the best!
I had medical notes for the situation this year and they still declined me... i had an meeting for the appeal with arg to start they believed i had a strong appeal and passed me onto the next stage of the board/pab and they declined... and i contacted my advisors and the people who deal with the inital part of the appeals process and they are baffled...
Kaitlin217
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did you get anywhere with getting back onto your program? I’m in the same position myself completed everything but the dissertation, failed twice because of I’ll health but had been on course for a 2.1 because of non engagement.... poor communication I was withdrawn ... three years completely wasted, I’m ashamed, embarrassed and depressed about a wasted chance
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kaitlin217)
Did you get anywhere with getting back onto your program? I’m in the same position myself completed everything but the dissertation, failed twice because of I’ll health but had been on course for a 2.1 because of non engagement.... poor communication I was withdrawn ... three years completely wasted, I’m ashamed, embarrassed and depressed about a wasted chance
This makes me so angry. Nursing should never have been a degree. You two sound like great nurses - just the sort we need - especially at the moment. Yet you have been thrown aside.

Those at the top should hang their heads in shame. Nursing is not about Harvard referencing and dissertations, it is about empathy and caring and being a professional.

I hope the two of you find some path in life that makes you happy
Kaitlin217
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
[quote=squeakysquirrel;87736708]This makes me so angry. Nursing should never have been a degree. You two sound like great nurses - just the sort we need - especially at the moment. Yet you have been thrown aside.

Those at the top should hang their heads in shame. Nursing is not about Harvard referencing and dissertations, it is about empathy and caring and being a professional.

Thank you, that is a very kind thing to say,

I haven’t given up yet and continue my HCSW role with continued professionalism.
no one wants to work so hard in such a difficult profession to fall at the final hurdle.. unfortunately sometimes the unexpected happens but I do think that students and nurses who continue to prevail and care against the odds should be supported to use that strength in practice.
I’m not sure where I go or who to turn to ... I would jump at the chance to complete my qualification as I know I 100% have the the makings of a good nurse, shame my university doesn’t view me in the same light.

I have heard given the current climate that student nurses are being pushed from pre register to completion if in the final six months of the course and I couldn’t complete because of an essay 🙈😓

Would anyone know of how, or if I can complete ?! Is it worth a try?
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kaitlin217)
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
This makes me so angry. Nursing should never have been a degree. You two sound like great nurses - just the sort we need - especially at the moment. Yet you have been thrown aside.

Thank you, that is a very kind thing to say,

I haven’t given up yet and continue my HCSW role with continued professionalism.
no one wants to work so hard in such a difficult profession to fall at the final hurdle.. unfortunately sometimes the unexpected happens but I do think that students and nurses who continue to prevail and care against the odds should be supported to use that strength in practice.
I’m not sure where I go or who to turn to ... I would jump at the chance to complete my qualification as I know I 100% have the the makings of a good nurse, shame my university doesn’t view me in the same light.

I have heard given the current climate that student nurses are being pushed from pre register to completion if in the final six months of the course and I couldn’t complete because of an essay 🙈😓

Would anyone know of how, or if I can complete ?! Is it worth a try?
Again I think these tutors and examiners want their heads looking at. Three years of hard work.... gone. For what and few stupid words in an examination.

Nursing is chronically short of staff. As I said - being able to Harvard reference is a fat lot of use. And in my opinion and experience, the more academic nurses tend to be the less caring - broad sweeping statement I know but I am a grizzeled old nursing sister with many years under my belt.

I hope that after this virus nonsense is over, reviews will be done. Good luck and I feel for you.

All I can suggest is that you carry on with your HCSW role and steadily work on. There may - you never know - be opportunities to resit if you impress.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (8)
13.56%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
13.56%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (7)
11.86%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (24)
40.68%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
16.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed