Unsure where the negative sign comes from -- integration Watch

anonymous230
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
From the edexcel pure year 2 book, I'm unsure where the negative sign comes from, I understand everything else in the question:

They are working out the area of A1 why's there a negative sign in front of the entire thing on it all, final answer is the same as the one in the book:

Name:  Screenshot_29.png
Views: 3
Size:  256.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot_28.png
Size:  40.7 KB
Name:  Screenshot_30.png
Size:  12.8 KB

my final answer ends up being :

0.25 * (2e^(-1) - 1)
instead of
0.25 * (1 - 2e^(-1))
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
The second last step is probably where you messed up, but since you don't show your working out, we can't really say for sure.
anonymous230
Rep:
?
sorry heres my working out hope its clear enough to read, the part above is just defining u=x du/dx = 1 , the same as the one in the solution book, everythings the same but i dont get the negative sign on the 2nd and 3rd last lines of the solution

Name:  Screenshot_31.png
Size:  26.4 KB
0le
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
So yes, it is the second last step. You should break it down into more steps. Where you've substituted zero and -1/2 into the already integrated equation, do this step n several parts.

Essentially you are meant to get +1/4 instead of -1/4 because the bit in square brackets, when substituting zero, will give -1/4 and there will still be a negative sign outside the square brackets.
Last edited by 0le; 4 days ago
anonymous230
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0le)
So yes, it is the second last step. You should break it down into more steps. Where you've substituted zero and -1/2 into the already integrated equation, do this step n several parts.
is it ? i got the exact same thing apart from the giant brackets around it all with a negative sign, which came from the 3rd last step, why is there a negative sign before the square brackets?
0le
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by anonymous230)
is it ? i got the exact same thing apart from the giant brackets around it all with a negative sign, which came from the 3rd last step, why is there a negative sign before the square brackets?
I think it is related to the fact the region is underneath the curve:
http://www.mathcentre.ac.uk/resource...eas-2009-1.pdf

But will need someone else to confirm or suggest otherwise.
anonymous230
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0le)
I think it is related to the fact the region is underneath the curve:
http://www.mathcentre.ac.uk/resource...eas-2009-1.pdf

But will need someone else to confirm or suggest otherwise.
im honestly not sure it could be something ive forgotten thanks a lot for ur help n efforts
zetamcfc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by anonymous230)
im honestly not sure it could be something ive forgotten thanks a lot for ur help n efforts
You are trying to find an area. You can't have a negative area. You have evaluated the definite integral correctly, but that is not what the question is asking.

Spoiler:
Show
Hope this is correct, my recent history on helping with A-level stuff isn't great lol, back to some representations
Last edited by zetamcfc; 4 days ago
anonymous230
Rep:
?
(Original post by zetamcfc)
You are trying to find an area. You can't have a negative area. You have evaluated the definite integral correctly, but that is not what the question is asking.

Spoiler:
Show
Hope this is correct, my recent history on helping with A-level stuff isn't great lol, back to some representations
AHHH thats what it is lol didnt even realise yeh ur right thanks lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (244)
66.3%
No (124)
33.7%

Watched Threads