I had a revelation at 3am - GCSE GMG Watch

miikadot
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Intro

Hello, I’m Sarah and I had an epiphany at 3am yesterday that I wouldn’t be happy with my grades if I continued at the rate I’m going at right now (procrastinating and not studying). I only found out the boards I’m doing for each subject today. That’s how much I’ve been neglecting my studies.
This is why I’ve started this blog.

I’m really struggling at school right now because I haven’t been paying attention in class and so obviously topics and material builds up. I can’t do the homework because I don’t know the information I need to know in order to do the homework so that builds up as well. I’ve also been staying up on my phone until 3am so at school, I’m tired and I can’t focus.
It’s basically this one self-destructing cycle and I’m really sick of my school life being like this.

I’m hoping (and praying) that making this blog will encourage me to study and improve. I also want to fix my sleep schedule and improve my mental health. School work is really overwhelming, but taking a break isn’t an option when I’m so behind.
I also feel like I’m affecting my best friends with my procrastination. I don’t want to negatively affect my friend so I’m doing this so we can both encourage and motivate each other to study.

Subjects

I’ll list the subjects I’m taking in the format of:
Subject, mocks grade, the grade I would like
Commentary

Double Science, 77, 99
Individually, I got bio 9, Chem 8 and Phy 5 but we only did paper 1s. I’m worried because paper 1 covered everything we learnt in year 10, which I studied for. However, since year 11 started, I’ve not been writing notes but been playing on my school iPad during class. I’m confident I could get decent grades in bio and check but phy I’m really worried about.

Eng Lit, 6, 8
I’ve only read through inspector calls, I don’t have proper notes on it. I’ve yet to do the Shakespeare (R+J) and Novel Paper but I have no notes on them at all. I haven’t even read through Jekyll and Hyde.

Eng Lang, 8, 9
I’m really proud of this mock score because I’ve never gotten such a score before
I owe it to the tuition centre where I only recently learnt exam techniques and how to write an essay. Ever since the GCSE course started, I had been working at a level 6.

Maths, 7, 9
I’m really, really disappointed with this mock score, but I deserve it because I didn’t revise at all. I was in the top for maths but because I chose not to do FSMQ, I was put in the Set 3. (Set 1 & 2 are for FSMQ). I’ve never struggled with maths or it’s concepts but ever since year 11 started, it’s become a lot difficult for me.

German, 6, 8
I hate languages. I hate them with a passion. I’m only taking German because it’s compulsory. I only know basic vocabulary and know little to nothing about sentence structure and grammar. This is one of the subjects I’m most worried about.

RS, 7, 9
I’m actually really please with this mock result. I accidentally answered the wrong question (AQA board) and lost tonnes of marks but my teacher said if I answered the correct question, I would have a 9. For my last term’s report, I was graded a level 5. I’ve improved a lot

Art, 8, 9
I’m so disappointed. Art is the career I want to go into, I’m really passionate about it. But when I was doing the coursework, things came up in my personal life which made me push it aside and procrastinate it. I regret it so much. Art is the only subject I actually care about.

Music, 6, 9
Im also disappointed for music as well. At the end of year 10, I got a 9 for the summer exams. On top of that, I’m a music exhibition so expectations are high.

Food Tech, 5, 8
I hate food tech. I only took it because I didn’t want to do triple science. I thought it would be relaxing but it’s one of my most difficult subjects.
The teacher is honestly the worst. She basically told my class that she didn’t think any of us were going to get above an 8 for the real thing. Nobody got above a 7 in the mocks. She told me I did really well. A 5 is not good at my school. It is well below average.
We’ve been doing coursework for ~5 months and we haven’t learnt any of the material. We don’t know any exam techniques and she refuses to go through the material until we finish the coursework.
But I’m going to try really hard and work independently at home from textbooks and get a good score. I want to prove her wrong.

I know these grades aren’t bad at all but I also know that I could do exceedingly well if I tried.

Other:

On top of that, I have coursework for English, Food Tech and Music. I’m behind in all of the coursework because I’ve been procrastinating during the lessons and not working on them at home.

I’ve also got important dates coming up soon:
4th March - English Lit, Mock
10th March - Food Tech 3 hour practical, real thing
11th, 12th March - Art exam, real thing
17th - German Oral, real thing

Half Term has just started for us and I’m going to use it as an opportunity to flip my studies around and achieve the grades to make my mum and myself proud

Notes:

I’m going to upload photos tomorrow

This is an impulsive decision so I’m not sure if I’m doing it correctly so please let me know if I’m doing something wrong.
Also please let me know how to do the pretty coloured fonts everyone has on their blogs.
emmaoLiivxr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i’m joining you on your journey cuz i’m exactly the same and GCSE’s are in fricking may!!
i haven’t even started revising or anything
i take
double science
currently at a 44 but want 6

higher maths
currently at a 6 but want a 7

english lit and lang
currently at a 6 and am fine with that

geography
currently at a 7 and want an 8

french foundation
currently at a 5 and fine w that

art
currently at a 8 and want a 9

photography

i’m gonna work hard like you starting from this half term and hopefully i will be able to achieve the grades that i hope to get especially in science because i want to stay doing higher and prove to my teachers and parents that i can work hard and do this for myself
thank you for inspiring me !!
Emma xxxxxx
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Good luck!
If you make one change from this, make it so that you get some more sleep. I think that's the most important.

(oh and re: colours and nice formatting, click "advanced" )
miikadot
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Good luck!
If you make one change from this, make it so that you get some more sleep. I think that's the most important.

(oh and re: colours and nice formatting, click "advanced" )
Thank you

(Original post by emmaoLiivxr)
i’m joining you on your journey cuz i’m exactly the same and GCSE’s are in fricking may!!
i haven’t even started revising or anything
i take
double science
currently at a 44 but want 6

higher maths
currently at a 6 but want a 7

english lit and lang
currently at a 6 and am fine with that

geography
currently at a 7 and want an 8

french foundation
currently at a 5 and fine w that

art

photography

i’m gonna work hard like you starting from this half term and hopefully i will be able to achieve the grades that i hope to get especially in science because i want to stay doing higher and prove to my teachers and parents that i can work hard and do this for myself
thank you for inspiring me !!
Emma xxxxxx
I haven’t done anything since I uploaded this blog but after seeing this, you’ve motivated me to do at least my art for the last remaining hours of today. Thank you
miikadot
Rep:
?
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  72.6 KB Name:  image.jpg
Size:  74.7 KB

I tidied my desk and set it up for art. I think it’s difficult to start work and be productive when your desk is messy. I find it really overwhelming and difficult to tidy my desk, which leads to me not tidying it and then it becoming more messy :cry: . So from now on, at the end of each study session, I’m going to tidy my desk so that I can study straight away, instead of having to take time cleaning it.

I’m finishing a Hockney artist study that I neglected because I thought it looked awful. Now revisiting it around a week later, it doesn’t even look that bad. I think it’s easy for people taking art to focus and obsess over details that other people don’t even realise.

We started the art project around 3 weeks ago but I produced no artwork and my art teacher was starting to get really disappointed and annoyed with me :bawling:. I’m really excited to give this project 110% effort and I’m going to produce so much art during the half term that when I go back to school, my teacher’s going to be shocked :banana:.

I know it sounds lame but I’m proud of myself for tidying my room and doing some of my work today:rofl3:. Tomorrow the first official day of Half Term and I’m going to work really hard and catch up with everything I didn’t do in the past two days. I wrote a to do list and I’m excited to slowly tick off all the boxes :evilbanana:

Name:  image.jpg
Size:  139.6 KB

Notes:
Am I oversharing on subjects that aren’t study related? :blushing: I got my TSR account quite a long tome ago but I haven’t actually posted or looked at forums so I’m not sure what people usually post. Sorry if I’m oversharing

On a positive note, these emoticons are so funny and cute :bubbles::crazy::bunny:

:heart: Sarah :heart:
TakeALittleWalk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Three creative subjects. I can't even imagine the pain. Good luck.
emmaoLiivxr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Name:  9DA75CD0-2984-41CC-AA89-86700FE47B6F.jpg.jpeg
Views: 7
Size:  44.3 KB
me too!! my desk looks so much better when it’s empty 😂
Name:  1915B99E-54B5-428D-B834-72EECDEA85C7.jpg.jpeg
Views: 10
Size:  42.0 KB
i’ve also done some work for my art all i need to do now is write about it

and after seeing your list i decided to make my own so i know exactly what i want to achieve
Name:  647F3143-62E8-488A-B09F-4879A01C1D46.jpg.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  19.4 KB
i am going to add more stuff to it once i’ve completed the stuff already on there so i don’t get overwhelmed
and i am thinking of making a revision timetable...but idk if i will actually stick to it so i might just do what i can when i’m motivated to
good luck with yours!! xxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads