How do I become smarter Watch

honeymoons
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I was just wondering if there are any ways or tips I can use to become more intelligent. For example how can I retain information and basically absorb textbooks?

Tess_thedog
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
past paper questions and marking your answers w mark schemes - repeatedly.
I used to do 20mins a night for my subjects and you'd see where you were going wrong easily and pick up on how to be exam ready / exam smart - basically impress the examiner.
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
use a variety of revision methods, ideally ones that use active recall and maintain regular revision, even if it's twenty minutes or so a day.
Peoplesguy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A method called get a life helped me tbh i suggest you try this.
MarlonE
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have to say that in the age of Wikipedia - being Intelligent doesn't mean absorbing textbooks... If you have enough of the fundamentals of a subject you basically just need to find the correct Wikipedia page. So I will recommend being inquisitive about stuff that pickle your interest - a lot of subject are much more clearer once you understand the basic jargon used to describe stuff within a field of knowledge. And develop new ways of learning and asking questions. To understand and remember you need to be able to relate between what's already in your mind and what you are absorbing (memories are stronger when they connected to more concepts in your brain).
And don't be a dilettante - have opinions! Everybody can quote Plato, but to be able to really argue with his ideas using your own experiences is much more intelligent.
And in support of Peoplesguy 'get a life' philosophy (because there are so many stuff that you can discover for yourself and are not articulated in words and ideas that will only spring up from your mind after processing life with knowledge), I will finish by quoting (somewhat satirically) the good Will Hunting scene:
"So if I asked you about art, you'd probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written. Michelangelo, you know a lot about him. Life's work, political aspirations, him and the pope, sexual orientations, the whole works, right? But I'll bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling; seen that. If I ask you about women, you'd probably give me a syllabus about your personal favorites. You may have even been laid a few times. But you can't tell me what it feels like to wake up next to a woman and feel truly happy. You're a tough kid. And I'd ask you about war, you'd probably throw Shakespeare at me, right, 'once more unto the breach dear friends.'[...]"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed