Car HELP- I’m buying my first car- WHICH ONE DO I BUY?!?! Help Watch

Kia rob
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I would really appreciate some advice. I know nothing about cars and about to purchase my first car. I’m going to driving a decent amount for work sometimes on Motorways but not consistently.

My budget is £2000 for a second hand car. What do you guys suggest & also which are the cheapest insurers to use.

I’ve done some research and narrowed it down to these as these cars are apparent cheap on insurance, easy to run etc.

Any more suggestions ?

Toyota aygo
Citroen c1
Peugeot 107
Hyundai i10 (09-/10)
emmaoLiivxr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
lamborghini
Sh_A
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
They’re all good choices. Personally I would go with the Hyundai i10 or the Citroen C1. I would also possibly consider a Toyota Yaris over the Aygo.
Kia rob
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sh_A)
They’re all good choices. Personally I would go with the Hyundai i10 or the Citroen C1. I would also possibly consider a Toyota Yaris over the Aygo.
Hmm which Yaris model would you suggest ?
emmaoLiivxr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
the lamborghini
Sh_A
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Kia rob)
Hmm which Yaris model would you suggest ?
Actually after looking up the Yaris, I don’t think it’s worth it since you won’t be able to get anything newer than 2006. Unless that doesn’t bother you.
Jess.1819
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Ford Fiesta (or KA etc.) - very popular cars which makes parts cheaper if it does break down and they also tend to be reliable when looked after, if you get a smaller engine size insurance Is usually decent too.

I’m with admiral (no black box) where they actually quoted cheaper than other companies with a black box so worth a look at, my insurance went down quite a bit after the first year with no claims too (£300 ish).
Kia rob
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sh_A)
Actually after looking up the Yaris, I don’t think it’s worth it since you won’t be able to get anything newer than 2006. Unless that doesn’t bother you.
Yep the year really doesn’t bother me. As long as it can get me from A to B.
Jess.1819
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Also Peugeot and Citroen are basically the same cars, only Peugeot’s are made with slightly better quality parts which makes them a bit more expensive but I’d stick with Peugeot for this reason.

Doesn’t mean a Citroen would cause you any more issues than a Peugeot would but it’s something to consider.
Kia rob
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jess.1819)
Ford Fiesta (or KA etc.) - very popular cars which makes parts cheaper if it does break down and they also tend to be reliable when looked after, if you get a smaller engine size insurance Is usually decent too.

I’m with admiral (no black box) where they actually quoted cheaper than other companies with a black box so worth a look at, my insurance went down quite a bit after the first year with no claims too (£300 ish).
Not heard much about KA’s. Do you have one ? Im Always weary about black boxes as I know I’ll go over the limited miles / time constrictions as I have crazy hours for work.
Jess.1819
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Kia rob)
Not heard much about KA’s. Do you have one ? Im Always weary about black boxes as I know I’ll go over the limited miles / time constrictions as I have crazy hours for work.
No I’ve got a fiesta, prefer the slightly bigger cars (I wanted a tiny one when I was learning but my dad wanted me to get a bigger car cause he thought it’d be safer and I’m glad he did honestly) which is absolutely amazing and I always hear good things about fords, they’re popular for a reason after all.

Yeah I didn’t think it was a good idea for me either, I quite often accidentally go over the speed limit a little without noticing so knew it’d be bad for me aha, also don’t like the idea of them knowing where you are all the time etc. - not all black boxes have those restrictions though, just check reviews because some can give false readings that might increase your insurance.
Sh_A
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I also drive a Fiesta and would thoroughly recommend it as a fun, first car which is cheap to insure and maintain.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (407)
67.95%
No (192)
32.05%

Watched Threads