cruduxcruo9
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Can anyone please explain the marked section in red? Thanks!
Attached files
Last edited by cruduxcruo9; 6 days ago
USI_15
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by cruduxcruo9)
Can anyone please explain the marked section in red? Thanks!
I'll give it a shot

Effectively, it's saying that trying to breed maize while retaining its productivity (high yield) is a bit of a catch-22 situation.

• If you inbreed the productive plants to try and retain the trait of being productive, this does not work because the inbred offspring are runty and weak.
• if you outbreed the productive plants with unrelated less productive varieties, then yes the offspring will be strong and healthy (hybrid vigor). However, only a few if any of these offspring will have the desired trait of being productive, which is inconvenient for the farmers.

The solution they describe here is to breed multiple separate unrelated lineages of maize that are all productive and give high yields. This way you can interbreed these lines and get the best of both worlds - outbreeding which prevents the negative effect of inbreeding, while also retaining that trait of high productivity.

Hope that helped
cruduxcruo9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by USI_15)
The solution they describe here is to breed multiple separate unrelated lineages of maize that are all productive and give high yields. This way you can interbreed these lines and get the best of both worlds - outbreeding which prevents the negative effect of inbreeding, while also retaining that trait of high productivity.

Hope that helped
So, the solution is to breed homozygous varieties of maize with different homozygous varieties? I believe that gives heterozygous offspring that are all productive i.e uniform. Is that correct?
USI_15
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by cruduxcruo9)
So, the solution is to breed homozygous varieties of maize with different homozygous varieties? I believe that gives heterozygous offspring that are all productive i.e uniform. Is that correct?
Yes, that sounds pretty much exactly what l interpreted from the text.
cruduxcruo9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by USI_15)
Yes, that sounds pretty much exactly what l interpreted from the text.
Thank you very much!

If possible, could you help answer another question I posted on a newly created thread?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (377)
67.2%
No (184)
32.8%

Watched Threads