Do dating sites/apps actually work? Watch

Wheezy___
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
This is just out of curiosity because I never understood the appeal. It seems so forced and superficial and you seem to be guaranteed to be disappointed.
Most of my friends are on tinder and are always complaining about how things didn’t turn out well or how the girl/guy was an ******* who didn’t look anything like the picture.
Do actual, long term relationships actually happen or do the majority of dates end up as just one offs?
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Tinder, almost always one offs with the odd longer term casual fling e.g. friends with benefits type deal.

I met my boyfriend on bumble though and been seeing him a year and a half thus far.
MusicGamer
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I mean, most don’t really lead to relationships, mainly for casual stuff, especially tinder

Saying that tho, I met my boyfriend on tinder and we’ve been together for over 2 years now and plan on getting married at some point 😂
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Wheezy___)
This is just out of curiosity because I never understood the appeal. It seems so forced and superficial and you seem to be guaranteed to be disappointed.
Most of my friends are on tinder and are always complaining about how things didn’t turn out well or how the girl/guy was an ******* who didn’t look anything like the picture.
Do actual, long term relationships actually happen or do the majority of dates end up as just one offs?
They don't work for me. They like my pic but don't like my personality. Or they're after my (non exsitant) money. Or they are a fake profile
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Many people would say Tinder is a hookup/sex site only. Anyone trying to DATE those peopl'e needs their head checked, it's a small step from 'falling in love with a stripper'. :rolleyes:
Wheezy___
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paralove)
Tinder, almost always one offs with the odd longer term casual fling e.g. friends with benefits type deal.

I met my boyfriend on bumble though and been seeing him a year and a half thus far.
I’m glad it turned out alright for you
Wheezy___
Rep:
?
(Original post by MusicGamer)
I mean, most don’t really lead to relationships, mainly for casual stuff, especially tinder

Saying that tho, I met my boyfriend on tinder and we’ve been together for over 2 years now and plan on getting married at some point 😂
That’s so cute. I guess there will always be exceptions
Wheezy___
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
They don't work for me. They like my pic but don't like my personality. Or they're after my (non exsitant) money. Or they are a fake profile
Yeah, that’s my biggest problem with it. There’s only so much you can learn from a picture or profile.
Kitten in boots
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes, they work.

However it is like going into a pub, picking a random person who looks half decent, and hoping you hit it off. In all probability, romance won't follow. Great if you are looking for casual sex though.

I also think a lot of individuals, particularly men, turn to the likes of Tinder because they lack the social skills to pull in real life. Only they run into the same problems online.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Kitten in boots)
I also think a lot of individuals, particularly men, turn to the likes of Tinder because they lack the social skills to pull in real life. Only they run into the same problems online.
Worse! WORSE!, making mistakes and weirdness when in-person flirting or dating has a huge tolerance built in.

Tinder? "BANG! fk u noob!, git gud" basically
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Kitten in boots)
Yes, they work.

However it is like going into a pub, picking a random person who looks half decent, and hoping you hit it off. In all probability, romance won't follow. Great if you are looking for casual sex though.

Yes, a lack of social skills and a poor grasp of spelling/grammar.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (252)
61.76%
Yes- I don't like it (19)
4.66%
No- I want it (110)
26.96%
No- I don't want it (27)
6.62%

Watched Threads