How racially segregated is your college?

Watch
Wheezy___
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Of course I don’t mean anything enforced, but do people in your school/college/uni naturally group with people of the same ethnicity?

Personally I’ve noticed it since secondary school. I’m mixed race, Filipino and white British, so I was kind of this grey area for the massive Filipino group in my year. One guy from the group out right said that we should date because we’re both Filipino, I don’t have enough Filipino friends and too many white friends. When I turned him down, I was called white-washed, a sl*t, etc. There were other racial groups but the Filipino one was definitely the biggest, most segregated and hostile of all of them.

Now I’m at college, this segregation is even clearer at lunch, though not nearly as hostile. The canteen is an L shape. The bottom area is mostly black, Arab, and south Asian students and the top area, near the Starbucks of course, is mostly white and East Asian students. Of course there are exceptions. My group of pasty white friends sit in the bottom area as well, for example.

I was just wondering if this is common in other areas.
Toscana
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
i get along regardless of races obviously. however, being mostly white and growing up in a white househould, i naturally gravitate towards white people when it comes to friends and stuff. i think this is true for most people
sophiegracee
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Wheezy___)
Of course I don’t mean anything enforced, but do people in your school/college/uni naturally group with people of the same ethnicity?

Personally I’ve noticed it since secondary school. I’m mixed race, Filipino and white British, so I was kind of this grey area for the massive Filipino group in my year. One guy from the group out right said that we should date because we’re both Filipino, I don’t have enough Filipino friends and too many white friends. When I turned him down, I was called white-washed, a sl*t, etc. There were other racial groups but the Filipino one was definitely the biggest, most segregated and hostile of all of them.

Now I’m at college, this segregation is even clearer at lunch, though not nearly as hostile. The canteen is an L shape. The bottom area is mostly black, Arab, and south Asian students and the top area, near the Starbucks of course, is mostly white and East Asian students. Of course there are exceptions. My group of pasty white friends sit in the bottom area as well, for example.

I was just wondering if this is common in other areas.
My schools pretty mixed, I’d say there’s more coloured people than white. I know a lot of friendship groups that are very mixed, but then quite a lot of the coloured people stay together, and the white people. I guess many just kind of gravitate to their skin colour, but probably not on purpose.
mikaxella
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
my high school had a segregated filipino group. I'm full Filipino. I'm friends with all of them but I was not a part of their group. I tried in year 7 but I just didnt feel like I belonged. otherwise everyone else in the school were pretty much in diverse groups
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Meh islanders and china people tended to stick together a bit but i assume that (especially for the Chinese) was more to do with cultural and language barriers than much else.
Aside from that everyone was delightfully chilled.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (63)
19.27%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (70)
21.41%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (61)
18.65%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (69)
21.1%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (32)
9.79%
I haven't started researching yet (32)
9.79%

Watched Threads