The Student Room Group

Bristol mechanical and electrical engineering

Hi,

I initially applied to Bristol for mechanical engineering, however they have said I've been unsuccessful but can choose an alternative course. The only option I would be interested in is their Mechanical and electrical engineering course, which has slightly lower entry grades. However, this course is not accredited and I'm curious as to why / if it will be accredited in the future and is it just a 50:50 split between electrical and mechanical and will employers still value it, or if I should just go with civil engineering

Many thanks
Original post by zootzoot
Hi,

I initially applied to Bristol for mechanical engineering, however they have said I've been unsuccessful but can choose an alternative course. The only option I would be interested in is their Mechanical and electrical engineering course, which has slightly lower entry grades. However, this course is not accredited and I'm curious as to why / if it will be accredited in the future and is it just a 50:50 split between electrical and mechanical and will employers still value it, or if I should just go with civil engineering

Many thanks

What kind of engineer do you want to be when you graduate?
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
What kind of engineer do you want to be when you graduate?

Mechanical mainly. I don't mind electrical engineering, but I don't want to miss out on the mechanical modules that everyone else will end up doing, putting me at a disadvantage when applying to purely mechanical jobs.
Mechanical mainly. I don't mind electrical engineering, but I don't want to miss out on the mechanical modules that everyone else will end up doing, putting me at a disadvantage when applying to purely mechanical jobs.

If you want to be a mechanical engineer then don't do civil engineering. A mechanical & electrical degree will be completely fine, and there are plenty of pure mechanical degrees that you could probably get into too - don't limit yourself to just Bristol.
Reply 4
If you go for Mech + elec you may get the chance to transfer when you get there, particularly if you get the grades for Mech. You could e-mail someone in mech Eng to ask - Bristol Admissions is very centralised and the relationship with departments is variable. Or better still, go to offer holder day and ask there.
Reply 5
Original post by Smack
If you want to be a mechanical engineer then don't do civil engineering. A mechanical & electrical degree will be completely fine, and there are plenty of pure mechanical degrees that you could probably get into too - don't limit yourself to just Bristol.

Original post by TCL
If you go for Mech + elec you may get the chance to transfer when you get there, particularly if you get the grades for Mech. You could e-mail someone in mech Eng to ask - Bristol Admissions is very centralised and the relationship with departments is variable. Or better still, go to offer holder day and ask there.

Thank you for your replies.

Very specific jobs it may put you at a disadvantage, but I suspect this degree title will open more doors then it closes. Electrical engineering is everywhere in mechanical systems, they are unavoidable.

I would be more concerned with the lack of accreditation as some large corporate employers like to push people down the chartered route which requires accreditation. It might be worth asking if the course is seeking accreditation this summer or if the IET regularly accredits graduates of the course after graduation (this is possible in some cases).
Reply 7
Original post by mnot
Very specific jobs it may put you at a disadvantage, but I suspect this degree title will open more doors then it closes. Electrical engineering is everywhere in mechanical systems, they are unavoidable.

I would be more concerned with the lack of accreditation as some large corporate employers like to push people down the chartered route which requires accreditation. It might be worth asking if the course is seeking accreditation this summer or if the IET regularly accredits graduates of the course after graduation (this is possible in some cases).

I have just emailed them. The accreditation is definitely the thing I'm most worried about for this course. Is there a way to become a chartered engineer without an accredited degree
I have just emailed them. The accreditation is definitely the thing I'm most worried about for this course. Is there a way to become a chartered engineer without an accredited degree

There is a system for people with unaccredited degrees to get chartership, there is special panels that review your degree and what you've done. But there is no guarantee they'll accept you specifically... if other graduates from the course have gotten it, then its highly likely you will be fine but there is no way of knowing for sure.

You could ring the IET and ask about the process, and how likely your case is. Ive never gone through the process so dont want to make a recommendation either way...
Reply 9
Original post by mnot
There is a system for people with unaccredited degrees to get chartership, there is special panels that review your degree and what you've done. But there is no guarantee they'll accept you specifically... if other graduates from the course have gotten it, then its highly likely you will be fine but there is no way of knowing for sure.

You could ring the IET and ask about the process, and how likely your case is. Ive never gone through the process so dont want to make a recommendation either way...

Oh okay

Hey, did you get a reply to the email you sent? I'm holding an offer, and am also concerned about the lack of accreditation.
Reply 11
Original post by liquoricetsr
Hey, did you get a reply to the email you sent? I'm holding an offer, and am also concerned about the lack of accreditation.

They said that as the 1st cohort has not yet graduated, they are still in the process of trying to get it accredited by IMechE and IET, as all the modules for the course are from either the pure mech or electrical courses.

However, I'm still not sure if that means it will definitely be accredited
Hi,

Many thanks

What are your predictions?
Hi I’m literally on the same exact shoes, you probably won’t see this but if you could you please give me an update on how you’re doing

Quick Reply

Latest