i am not sure what options to choose for year 9 GCSE

Watch
player_bella123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
can someone give me some advice on what to choose for my year 9 options . this is because i am really struggling on what to choose and it is really hard. we have to choose really soon like in a week soon so please help me very quickly. thank you very much , all my thanks and appreciation, your problemised friend.
Livelovelaughxx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You might have been told this before, but just choose what you like!! I am in college and when I was your age I struggled with this same issue so don’t worry you are not alone. Honestly I wish I could go back in time and change what I picked because I didn’t enjoy my options and I just picked what I thought I was good at. Just pick the ones you will enjoy doing and it doesn’t matter if you are bad at them to begin with you will get better as long as you like it and want to work hard. Hope it works out for you!
lucas.12345
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by player_bella123)
can someone give me some advice on what to choose for my year 9 options . this is because i am really struggling on what to choose and it is really hard. we have to choose really soon like in a week soon so please help me very quickly. thank you very much , all my thanks and appreciation, your problemised friend.
Honestly do what you want to do.
I don't do art but my friends say there is a huge amount of work (and same with textiles). I do computer science and it is really hard and separate science has loads of content.
LMR127
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Even if it isn't compulsory at your school, choose a language or humanity- they will really open up your options post-16. Find out how subjects are assessed, if you're more practical you might prefer BTECs. Also, ask teachers about the curriculum since for me that was a huge determiner. Weigh up how well you do in them vs how much you like them. Good luck!
1st superstar
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by player_bella123)
How do they do options in your school? What do want do in future? In my old school you had to do RS + another humanity (+ a language if you were in pathway 1) and you were not allowed to do more than 1 language even if you are fluent in one of them like i am...
username5173262
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Choose whatever you like. Most A-Levels don't require a certain subject (not the ones you choose anyway) but require grades. For example, politics A-Level only requires you do a humanities (Geography or Religion in my case) and a good grade in English. Biology requires a 6 in biology GCSE and a 5 in maths. Economics only requires a high maths grade and pass in other subjects. Business only requires a 5 in maths and pass in english.
Point is, the subjects you choose will not effect your A-Levels, so that being said, it really doesn't matter which ones you choose as long as you enjoy it enough to do it for 3 years. You should also be somewhat good at it lol (don't take Art if you can't draw). Make a list of your options and cross off 1 by 1 the ones that don't look too good. By the end you should have a shorter list of ones to choose from that you enjoy.
PS: do not choose based on friends - because chances are you will get moved around in the following years. Also if they choose a subject you don't like and you fail it, then following them has caused you to fail a GCSE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.45%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
43.64%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (13)
23.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.45%

Watched Threads