Cheddars.mini
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I will be qualifying as a Social Worker in the UK in 2021. In the Childrens Social Care side of things I have unfortunately found the culture and expectations do not fit with what I want in a career. I have enjoyed working in Adults SC more somewhat due to the slightly reduced pressure compared to childrens. However, I do love interacting with the children, and I have experience as a TA in a Primary School which I adored. I am considering applying for a Primary PGCE after graduating, as I feel it is a role I may enjoy more - however I am worried that the stress, politics and long hours would match that of childrens social care? Which is the main thing I struggled with. If anyone has gone from SW to teaching, are you able to advise if it was better, or if the stress is much the same? Or indeed, if anyone has used their SW degree to do anything else, I would also love to hear about that. Many thanks.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Cheddars.mini

I hope you are well. I am sure you will hear lots of experiences about teaching in primary school and the stress and busy schedules that go along with the career. Having taught in secondary and spent a lot of time in primary as a lecturer, i can say that the demands vary and change over time. Some will speak of how well they are able to organise their time and so do not feel overwhelmed. There will always be challenges that come in peaks and troughs, but these will become much more manageable over time.
I would recommend gaining some school experience and seeing the role through the eyes of a teacher rather than a Teaching Assistant as the two roles are different.

If you would like some help, feel free to get in touch and myself or one of my colleagues would be happy to talk through things and be upfront as honest, as expected. Give us a call on 0800 389 2500 and ask for an advisor to give you call back.

Take care,
Atif
Cheddars.mini
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your response. If anyone else has anything to add, I would be interested to hear.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (290)
34.16%
No (559)
65.84%

Watched Threads