The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL 2020 Accomodation Thread

Seems there's a thread like this each year so I thought I'd set one up for offer-holders this year.

With the accommodation applications being open from March, what are your thoughts and preferences on student accommodation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey!
To be honest accommodation is the scariest thing for me about going to UCL. Being an international student, I'll be all alone in London (basically all alone in the UK) and since UCL does not let you state a preference for a particular hall, I'm really worried about being allocated to one that's not so close to the campus or is in a bad condition. I saw many halls that I am really fond of, especially the ones that are close to Bloomsbury. I am planning to stay in a single room and most probably a self-catered one.
What are your preferences, and how do you feel about UCL's room allocation strategy? Also what are you planning to study, if you don't mind me asking?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Hey guys can someone go through how we apply for accommodation? I literally have no idea when or how its done
Reply 3
Original post by gothai7
Hey guys can someone go through how we apply for accommodation? I literally have no idea when or how its done

You are guaranteed an accommodation if you choose UCL as your firm choice and submit your application by May 31st, also they only guarantee accommodation for the first year if you have not previously lived in London whilst studying at a university.

We'll have to state some preferences regarding the accommodation, such as catered or self-catered, ensuite or shared bathroom, single or twin room, and the cost. You can't state a preference for a particular hall tho, they use an automated allocation system to give you a room.

As for the date of the application, I'm not sure, I believe they will contact us after May 31st and we'll be given our rooms by the start of the academic year.

For more infos you can check their page for undergrad accommodation.
Original post by levir123
Hey!
To be honest accommodation is the scariest thing for me about going to UCL. Being an international student, I'll be all alone in London (basically all alone in the UK) and since UCL does not let you state a preference for a particular hall, I'm really worried about being allocated to one that's not so close to the campus or is in a bad condition. I saw many halls that I am really fond of, especially the ones that are close to Bloomsbury. I am planning to stay in a single room and most probably a self-catered one.
What are your preferences, and how do you feel about UCL's room allocation strategy? Also what are you planning to study, if you don't mind me asking?

I have an offer for economics L100, my main preferences are Ramsey Hall or Ifor Evans which are both catered. So in my accommodation application I'll probably just specify the price range of those two halls, say that Id prefer catered accom and specify the exact distance for campus that those particular halls are. Should give me the best chance of getting one of those halls, especially given that they are among the largest halls at UCL.
Reply 5
You are guaranteed an accommodation if you choose UCL as your firm choice and submit your application by May 31st, also they only guarantee accommodation for the first year if you have not previously lived in London whilst studying at a university.

We'll have to state some preferences regarding the accommodation, such as catered or self-catered, ensuite or shared bathroom, single or twin room, and the cost. You can't state a preference for a particular hall tho, they use an automated allocation system to give you a room.

As for the date of the application, I'm not sure, I believe they will contact us after May 31st and we'll be given our rooms by the start of the academic year.

For more infos you can check their page for undergrad accommodation.

Thank you so much :smile:
Hey!

Most people who I know that have stayed in accommodation in London say they enjoyed it regardless of which one they got, because it was London!!!
I hope to get ramsey hall as it's v close and I've heard its really fun
French and Spanish :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Hello everyone! I’m an upcoming MSc student and I’ve applied for IFor Evans Hall (catered). Anyone else with the same preference? I hope to meet some great people there :smile:
Reply 8
also i'm confused about the whole cluster/shared flat situation, can someone explain to me what happens if i choose it as my preference? I mean what options will be ruled out if I choose it (idk if what I'm saying even makes sense)
Original post by Lobordes
also i'm confused about the whole cluster/shared flat situation, can someone explain to me what happens if i choose it as my preference? I mean what options will be ruled out if I choose it (idk if what I'm saying even makes sense)

Are you planning to choose university accommodation? If yes first decide If you’d like catered or self-catered that’ll rule out lot of choices for you.
anyone considering garden halls?
Original post by apricitea
anyone considering garden halls?

Yeah, I've put it down as one of my preferred ones
Reply 12
Yeah, I've put it down as one of my preferred ones

did you pick catered or self-catered
Original post by J031R
did you pick catered or self-catered

Self-catered (we will see how that turns out after I eat just pasta for a 3 months 😅)
Reply 14
Self-catered (we will see how that turns out after I eat just pasta for a 3 months 😅)

Same! Standard Superior with shared showers
Hi, I applied for self-cathered and shared bathroom, as one of the preference. Do you know how many people/rooms may share the bathroom?
Original post by Stud&stud
Hi, I applied for self-cathered and shared bathroom, as one of the preference. Do you know how many people/rooms may share the bathroom?

Around 4-5 people share one washroom/kitchen.
Original post by Aishwarya01
Around 4-5 people share one washroom/kitchen.

Thanks for response! Hope to get a good hall. After we submit the preferences, how many options we receive?
Original post by Stud&stud
Thanks for response! Hope to get a good hall. After we submit the preferences, how many options we receive?

You’ll get an offer for just one hall based on your preferences. It’s up to you to accept or reject it!
hi! does anyone know which halls have the best social life?

Quick Reply

Latest