Did you try to date someone?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
In order to replace them or forget them? Like for example X really liked or loved Y but X was the one who ****ed up and couldn't be with Y. Y was ready to sort out the matter by X's ego and pride got the best of them. X knew they were wrong but just wouldnt admit it.
X goes on to start dating someone familiar in order to replace Y and forget her. However, it does not appear to be working as what X had with Y is horribly lacking in X and the other person. Let's call them Z.
Even though X is with Z, they still have regrets over what happened with Y and still thinks of Y, especially if X happens to see Y's picture or herself.

Does such a move work? Dating to replace or forget someone?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
...Does such a move work? Dating to replace or forget someone?
For many people, it probably works in the short term but not in the long term.

However it really depends on the circumstances (e.g. how much you were in love, how long the relationship was etc.)
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
For many people, it probably works in the short term but not in the long term.

However it really depends on the circumstances (e.g. how much you were in love, how long the relationship was etc.)
X and Y 1 year. But the love was there from the start. Like rather intense attraction/liking/love whatever you call it.
errrr99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it's called REBOUND

it does not work - it may pass the hours/days so you avoid being ALONE. Much better to take time alone to figure out who you are, what went wrong, all by yourself.

After a period of reflection, you can start something totally new without any left over feelings for the ex. Or re-heat things with that person if you really want.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
X and Y 1 year. But the love was there from the start. Like rather intense attraction/liking/love whatever you call it.
But again, you really wouldn't know how your future relationship will turn out. It's difficult.

From how you are wording it ("rather intense attraction/liking/love") it seems to me like you wanted people to say "no, you can't replace them".
Anonymous #1
(Original post by errrr99)
it's called REBOUND

it does not work - it may pass the hours/days so you avoid being ALONE. Much better to take time alone to figure out who you are, what went wrong, all by yourself.

After a period of reflection, you can start something totally new without any left over feelings for the ex. Or re-heat things with that person if you really want.
If X has regrets over how he acted with Y and he thinks he will speak to her if he sees her, what can one deduce?
Anonymous #1
Who else has opinions on this topic on TSR?
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To replace/forget, no.

But I often go straight onto dating apps after a break-up. Casually seeing new people helps to prevent me from backsliding and returning to the previous relationship.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by sinfonietta)
To replace/forget, no.

But I often go straight onto dating apps after a break-up. Casually seeing new people helps to prevent me from backsliding and returning to the previous relationship.
What do you think about the X and Y situation?
Anonymous #1
Any more views?
Anonymous #1
What do you think about the X and Y situation?
???
5hyl33n
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All these X’s and Y’s.

Relationships really are like algebra. If you are naturally good at it, you will fly through. 😂🥺
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (27)
48.21%
No, they should still go ahead (12)
21.43%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (17)
30.36%

Watched Threads