As psychology help

Watch this thread
Himayaa
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm doing wjec as psychology at the moment and I'm confused on how to answer 20 marker debate questions,
Example: 'Neuroscience findings need to be treated with caution' discuss the extend to which you agree with this statement
This is how I usually answer it
introduction
First topic on neuroscience- discuss for and against
Second topic- discuss for and against
Third topic- discuss for and against conclusion
when timing myself I go over 20 minutes when doing the 3 topics in detail, so I'm wondering if doing 2 topics would be enough to gain full marks?
Last edited by Himayaa; 2 years ago
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Perhaps outline what topics these would be and then I/TSR can help you decide how much to write?
Himayaa
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Perhaps outline what topics these would be and then I/TSR can help you decide how much to write?
Example of a topic: Understanding consciousness
When writing I do:
-One paragraph highlighting the advantages of understanding consciousness, proving it as ethical
-One paragraph highlighting the disadvantages of understanding conscious, proving it as unethical

I use this format for two other topics such as-
-Treating criminal behaviour
-Improvement of marketing techniques

When doing one paragraph I try to add a reference, such as a case study/experiment/statement etc

Example of my format (simplified)- treating criminal behaviour against

-Treating criminal behaviour can be seen as unethical
-this is because many external factors such as neurological imbalances and social factors lead to criminal behaviour
-so neurological interventions may not be proven to be effective to all prisoners
-Martha Farah (2004) neurological intervention denies prisoners freedom

In the conclusion I write a general statement, my own opinion.

When answering a 20 mark question I try and aim for at least 2-3 pages

So ideally each of the paragraphs would be 1/4 of the page long w/ introduction and conclusion

Assuming a universal mark scheme gives points for a reference, a statement, backed up by detail, good vocabulary, well answered for each point. Would two topics be enough?

And also how much time are you expected to write for the introduction and conclusion? I feel like I spent too long doing each
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
20.54%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
10.71%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
7.14%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (19)
16.96%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (27)
24.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
20.54%

Watched Threads