How to stop blushing

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Maybe I'm clutching at straws here but does anyone have any advice or even tricks that can stop blushing when embarrassed? I'm asking because generally speaking I'm quite confident and I'm not act is to get involved in social situations but every now if I get embarrassed about something I go INSANELY red, at least that's what it feels like and I go into what I call shutdown for a few minutes where I can't talk, can't smile and can't look at people for like 2 minutes and I just look down at the floor to avoid any further embarrassment. But the thing is, if in this situation I didn't blush at all I would be easily able to deal with whatever the embarrassing thing was. It's just whenever I go red I just feel really conscious of it and it just kind of gets worse. I would go so far as to say if I was immune from going red I would be a significantly more confident person. Anyone have any advice on how to deal with this?
Vexper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just take a deep breath and face whatever is putting you in this situation, don't shy away from it, the more you amp yourself up to deal with these situations regardless of how your body is reacting - your natural reaction to such situations will slowly adapt to involve less blushing. This is because these situations are creating less and less stress/anxiety-inducing feelings for you. It will be difficult at first, but after every situation you can walk away from them with more pride and confidence. People may take note - so what? Also blushing can be endearing!

If you are female I would also reccomend experimenting with your makeup depending on your skin tone to help disguise it a little more at first

Ideally you want to rely less on crutches and start challenging yourself as the best advice I can give.
alavni
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I used to have a serious problem with blushing and the way I’ve stopped it is by focusing on eliminating the anxiety of the situation. You won’t be able to try and think of other things when you go red so you need to try and clear your head by reminding yourself that nothing bad actually comes from blushing, it is all in your head and many people may not even notice, this will calm you down and consequently stop the blushing. Many times when I thought my face had gone very very red no one even mentioned a word to me, it honestly isn’t that bad and even if a situation does end badly, just remind yourself that in a few weeks everyone will forget about it. I used to blush all the time but after doing this, I barely do it at all and don’t even think about blushing anymore...
My mind set is that going red isn’t the bad part, it is the anxiety lockdown, if you focus on fixing the lockdown then you can act normally and you’ll completely forget about going red

Other things that could help:

If you are a girl, you can conceal the blushing with makeup (but this won’t stop the blushing feeling).

You can also talk to a doctor about it and they may be able to help you with products that could stop the blushing.

Drink some water if you feel your face getting hotter and it may be able to cool you down.

Hope this helps
Last edited by alavni; 1 month ago
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There’s not really much you can do about it. As others have said make up is your friend.
Use a green colour correcting base which masks redness and use a foundation that gives good coverage on the areas that go red
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by alavni)
I used to have a serious problem with blushing and the way I’ve stopped it is by focusing on eliminating the anxiety of the situation. You won’t be able to try and think of other things when you go red so you need to try and clear your head by reminding yourself that nothing bad actually comes from blushing, it is all in your head and many people may not even notice, this will calm you down and consequently stop the blushing. Many times when I thought my face had gone very very red no one even mentioned a word to me, it honestly isn’t that bad and even if a situation does end badly, just remind yourself that in a few weeks everyone will forget about it. I used to blush all the time but after doing this, I barely do it at all and don’t even think about blushing anymore...
My mind set is that going red isn’t the bad part, it is the anxiety lockdown, if you focus on fixing the lockdown then you can act normally and you’ll completely forget about going red

Other things that could help:

If you are a girl, you can conceal the blushing with makeup (but this won’t stop the blushing feeling).

You can also talk to a doctor about it and they may be able to help you with products that could stop the blushing.

Drink some water if you feel your face getting hotter and it may be able to cool you down.

Hope this helps
Thank you this is really helpful, just to confirm I am a boy lol! But yeah thanks though, it's weird because on the whole I consider myself to be relatively confident as a person. Not the most confident or the loudest guy but I don't have trouble speaking to people and I've done public speaking in the past. It tends to be if I'm in a group situation and if someone makes a harmless joke at my expense I often think subconsciously 'oh someone made a joke at my expense, now people are waiting to hear my response' and I get really conscious of that which is what causes the blushing. I'm hoping that if I keep forcing myself in these situations I can become more confident.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (107)
60.45%
No (36)
20.34%
Not sure (34)
19.21%

Watched Threads