The Student Room Group

Interfering neighbours?

Does anyone else have neighbours who are interfering or just plain annoying?

My nextdoor neighbour is the ultimate busybody. She runs the Neighbourhood watch scheme where I live, and is the sort of person who meddles in everybody elses business. Every time I see her out and about she'll come up to me fussing about this and that, and most of the time it's about something ridiculous. The other week at the bus stop a man who had long hair, tattoos and piercings walked past, and she assumed he was a criminal, pointing him out to me and saying that he had walked past in the other direction a few minutes earlier and that he MUST be up to something. I asked her what's weird about someone walking somewhere and back again, and she insisted he was a "suspicious looking character", and that if she saw him walking past again she was going to report him to the police. :s-smilie:

She's also quite pushy, she'll often ring our door bell to tell us about Neighbourhood Watch (she goes round the whole village), and then invite herself in without asking.

A couple of months ago a few of my brothers friends came round, and brought a games console with them. They realised they had forgotten one the games, so one of my brother's friends got back in the car to drive back to his house to get it. A few minutes later our phone started ringing, and it was my neighbour asking if he knew that someone had driven down our drive like a maniac. My brother said that his friend had just left in the car and she replied "there was a moment when he looked in the rear view mirror, our eyes met, and his were pure evil. He looked like a bat out of hell!". He doesn't even drive badly. :rofl:

Half an hour ago I answered the phone, and guess who it was - my next door neighbour :rolleyes:
She told me that her gardener was coming round tomorrow, and asked if it would be ok if he cut some brambles down that are in the front garden of my house. I can understand her asking that if they were growing into her garden, but she then went on to say they were growing on to the street path, they are a danger to the public, and she's worried she'll end up tripping over them the next time she walks past. I said I hadn't noticed anything growing onto the path but if she thinks it's in the way then yeah that's fine. A minute later she rang the door bell, saying she had come round to show me where she meant because I sounded a bit confused on the phone. I went outside with her, she she pointed at this tiny bit of plant that was growing out of the borders of my garden, saying it was obstructing the pathway. It wasn't brambles, just a flimsy bit of plant, not even at foot level. There is NO WAY anybody could trip over it. :confused:

These are just a few indicents, there's plenty more. Does anybody else have neighbours like this?

I've always been taught to be friendly and polite to my neighbours, my parents agree she is very annoying but say I should just humour her. Is there any way I can get her to shut up, I know I sound rude but she really gets on my nerves sometimes, especially when I'm really busy with something and she holds me up. Is it acceptable to tell your neighbours to just **** off? :p:

Scroll to see replies

She sounds hilarious! :p: Its like real-life Midsomer Murders character!

Although I guess its not funny if it is happening to you.

How old is she??
Reply 2
She needs to get laid. You wanna step up?
Reply 3
Haha. My neighbour is an interfering old hag. She blamed my brother for 'knocking down her wall' when some of our fence panels had also been kicked in by the same person. Her husband chased him with a pitchfork. She blamed my other neighbour for sending her a rude letter. She was a teacher at a local school and used to punish children for climbing a tree outside of school and school hours and tell people off when she caught them in it, it wasn't even hers, and it was a 5 minute walk away.
Reply 4
Yeah, I find that quite funny too.

I've never really known my neighbours. We have a widowed old woman on one side, who is quite pleasant but generally just rattles around in her big old house, and then on the other side we have a man who's a bit strange and keeps to himself, and his wife who used to be quite pleasant but has now completely lost it... and seems to think my Dad is the head of the local police and that a murder has taken place somewhere.

Oh yes, and they recently put up a massive fence because apparently schoolchildren dared walk down the lane at the side of their house.
Reply 5
balloon_parade
She sounds hilarious! :p: Its like real-life Midsomer Murders character!

Although I guess its not funny if it is happening to you.

How old is she??

Haha she's always reminded me of Hyacinth Bucket from Keeping up Appearances (she's quite snobby and concerned with making a good impression), but that's a more accurate desciption.
Yeah reading that back it is pretty funny, it's just the frequency of these events. Plus she always seems to turn up when I am getting ready to go out, or am busy doing something, and it's impossible to get her to leave. Instead of just making her point and leaving, she goes on and on. There'll be points in the conversation when it sounds like it's almost over, or she'll say something like "oh I won't keep you much longer!" but then she just carries on :rolleyes:
Hmm I think she's in her early sixties, but my parents moved here 20 years ago and they say she's always been like that.
FizzBitch
Haha she's always reminded me of Hyacinth Bucket from Keeping up Appearances (she's quite snobby and concerned with making a good impression), but that's a more accurate desciption.
Yeah reading that back it is pretty funny, it's just the frequency of these events. Plus she always seems to turn up when I am getting ready to go out, or am busy doing something, and it's impossible to get her to leave. Instead of just making her point and leaving, she goes on and on. There'll be points in the conversation when it sounds like it's almost over, or she'll say something like "oh I won't keep you much longer!" but then she just carries on :rolleyes:
Hmm I think she's in her early sixties, but my parents moved here 20 years ago and they say she's always been like that.

Theres not really much you can do then. It just sounds so funny from an outsiders point of view! At least she is looking out for the neighbourhood I guess :p:

I don't even talk to my neighbours at all!
Reply 7
VickieLR
Haha. My neighbour is an interfering old hag. She blamed my brother for 'knocking down her wall' when some of our fence panels had also been kicked in by the same person. Her husband chased him with a pitchfork. She blamed my other neighbour for sending her a rude letter. She was a teacher at a local school and used to punish children for climbing a tree outside of school and school hours and tell people off when she caught them in it, it wasn't even hers, and it was a 5 minute walk away.

Omg, she sounds a nightmare! Definitely a contender for mine. Perhaps they are related. :p:
There should be a village built solely for interfering neighbours, that way they can just annoy eachother and compete to be the most "perfect".
My neighbour is probally the most annoying person i have ever met.

I was chatting with another neighbour and we just chatting while im washing my car.

Rude neighbour comes to me and says stuff like, you wax n polish that any longer and your paint will rub of.

Do you visit the petrol station everyday?

How much does the car drink?

will you sell it to me ?

So eventually i just said **** off you stupid **** and get some friends, or get your own goddamn car and dont ever come onto our drive again if you dont have any constructive things to say!

Guess what, he hasnt been near us since !

Did get thanked from a couple of people near us though :biggrin:
Reply 9
She sounds like a right nutcase :p:
Theres only one of my neighbours who annoy me and that's the lady across the street, she's always nosing in our window or everytime you step out of the front door, she comes out of hers at the exact same time!!
Also her daughter is one of those people who like to talk so the whole street can hear her conversation.
I hate nosy people. **** OFF!!
Reply 11
well i think you need to move to where i live
every body just keeps to them self and only looks out for number 1
some boy across the road from my house play ball games in the road and when the ball goes into somevody elses garden just think they can go and get it with out asking and it drives my parents mad as we have 4 cars in the drive but nobody else seems to stop them doing it even though there is about 5 police offices living near by
Reply 12
:rofl:

She sounds hilarious. However I can imagine it being very annoying, I don't really have a solution which is not unpleasant :p:. Anymore stories? haha
Reply 13
A nosey neighbour update: My parents are on holiday at the moment and I guess she's worked this out, because she just phoned our house saying "you do know the bin collection is tomorrow don't you?" and I said yeah, and she then went on to tell me what to do (all you do is pull the bin to the bottom of the drive for half 7, I do this most weeks anyway), and how important it is to remember to take the bin down :rolleyes: . She called me "poppet" at the end of every sentence, and somehow managed to make a simple conversation go on for at least 5 minutes. It was so patronising, and at the end of it she goes "I'm not a nosy neighbour by any means, it's just important to me that everything is running smoothly!" :rofl:
There's a solution to people like these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun

:biggrin:

Before we moved, we used to have some of these. Clinically insane husband (I don't know if he'd actually been diagnosed as insane, but trust me, when I say this man was mad I mean it - borderline insane and with a malicious streak wide enough to use it as a bowling alley for the Moon), gossiping tale-spreading b*tch of a wife. For a couple of years we had the whole shebang - dirty looks, telling other people in the street we were doing this or that, random acts of mild vandalism from the guy (like chucking chips on our car windscreen), swearing at my parents, and apparently my mum once saw him dancing around on the gravel drive we had singing 'Happy Days'. No bull... Drove my parents absolutely nuts, they were stressed for the whole time solid. Eventually we moved away. Ken, on the slim off-chance that you happen to be reading this, be aware that that Wikipedia article linked to above may make itself known to you in a whole new way one day soon... ^^

(Kidding! I hated the man's guts, but I still wouldn't blow them out through his spine... Not that I don't want to...)
Reply 15
FizzBitch
A nosey neighbour update: My parents are on holiday at the moment and I guess she's worked this out, because she just phoned our house saying "you do know the bin collection is tomorrow don't you?" and I said yeah, and she then went on to tell me what to do (all you do is pull the bin to the bottom of the drive for half 7, I do this most weeks anyway), and how important it is to remember to take the bin down :rolleyes: . She called me "poppet" at the end of every sentence, and somehow managed to make a simple conversation go on for at least 5 minutes. It was so patronising, and at the end of it she goes "I'm not a nosy neighbour by any means, it's just important to me that everything is running smoothly!" :rofl:

Maybe she's seen this thread? :p:
Reply 16
FizzBitch

I dare you to not put the bin out tomorrow :p:

My neighbours are all boring, one offered me £2 to mow his lawn when I was about 14. I politely declined and havent spoken to them since.
Reply 17
Lucy :)
Maybe she's seen this thread? :p:

I wouldn't be surprised if she has actually :p:
Reply 18
Asriel
I dare you to not put the bin out tomorrow :p:

My neighbours are all boring, one offered me £2 to mow his lawn when I was about 14. I politely declined and havent spoken to them since.

Haha, yeah if the bins a bit empty don't bother doing it. Would be funny.
Reply 19
aaaaaw she's just lonely,
possibly if u go to her house once and talk to her it might help, or it might make it even worse for u, but i can she how she can get annoying

Latest

Trending

Trending