Kayleejarv24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
can anyone help me please I have to relate structure to function of alveoli but don't know what to put. would appreciate the help thanks in advance.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Alveoli have the job of gas exchange. So what things influence gas exchange - from your knowledge of chemistry?

I'll give you two hints:

Surface area
Distance for the gas(es) to diffuse.

Have a look at the structure of an alveolus from your textbook and see if you can relate the structure of an alveoli with the function, given the hints I've given you above.
bambi1425
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
think about thin walls, high surface area, amount of blood flow and moistness etc. you can always look at an exam question and look at the ms for any more help
Kayleejarv24
Rep:
?
thank you both.
adzz.s1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
- 1 cell thick therefore short diffusion distance for oxygen

- Million of alveoli all of the body therefore high SA meaning higher vol of oxygen present for the body

- Surrounded by surfactant fluid meaning that oxygen diffuses into the fluid then into blood, providing an easier diffusion pathway
Kayleejarv24
Rep:
?
(Original post by adzz.s1)
- 1 cell thick therefore short diffusion distance for oxygen

- Million of alveoli all of the body therefore high SA meaning higher vol of oxygen present for the body

- Surrounded by surfactant fluid meaning that oxygen diffuses into the fluid then into blood, providing an easier diffusion pathway
thank you.
-AN-
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The walls of the alveoli are one cell thick (short diffusion distance).

There are many alveoli, proving a large surface area for gas exchange.

The walls of the alveoli are elastic, and expand during inspiration, increasing the surface area for gas exchange.

The walls of the alveoli are elastic, and recoil during expiration, removing carbon dioxide out of the lungs passively.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (12)
12.5%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (21)
21.88%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (43)
44.79%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (16)
16.67%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
4.17%

Watched Threads