Jade2709
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i'm currently doing my L3 Dental Nursing apprenticeship and will qualify in January 2021, i'm hoping to apply to uni this year to study dental hygiene and therapy in September 2021.
however, i have no science a-levels so i'm looking for advice on how to gain my biology a-level, has anyone done this online or done an evening course at college while working too?
alternatively, has anyone done the Preparation for Higher Education course at Leeds Uni to progress onto dental hygiene and therapy?
i'd just like advice on the best route to go with as i know this is a highly competitive course
Last edited by Jade2709; 1 month ago
LauraDurrant1998
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jade2709)
i'm currently doing my L3 Dental Nursing apprenticeship and will qualify in January 2021, i'm hoping to apply to uni this year to study dental hygiene and therapy in September 2021.
however, i have no science a-levels so i'm looking for advice on how to gain my biology a-level, has anyone done this online or done an evening course at college while working too?
alternatively, has anyone done the Preparation for Higher Education course at Leeds Uni to progress onto dental hygiene and therapy?
i'd just like advice on the best route to go with as i know this is a highly competitive course
Hey, I’m a dental nurse and I have just received my offer for hyg therapy at Ports. It is very competitive, you don’t need biology a level for Essex, they take your nursing. Although the rest you will need a levels OR an access to he diploma. I’m doing my access to he online as I work full time with academyonlinelearning. They’re really good!! Good luck! Xxx
Jade2709
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by LauraDurrant1998)
Hey, I’m a dental nurse and I have just received my offer for hyg therapy at Ports. It is very competitive, you don’t need biology a level for Essex, they take your nursing. Although the rest you will need a levels OR an access to he diploma. I’m doing my access to he online as I work full time with academyonlinelearning. They’re really good!! Good luck! Xxx
Congratulations, that’s really good!! And I’ve just looked on their website and seen they do a HE diploma in dental hygiene, I didn’t know this was a thing! Is this the course you enrolled on? xxx
LauraDurrant1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jade2709)
Congratulations, that’s really good!! And I’ve just looked on their website and seen they do a HE diploma in dental hygiene, I didn’t know this was a thing! Is this the course you enrolled on? xxx
Yeah that's the one, I am still doing it now, finish in May, need nearly all distinctions to secure my place!! Thank you, I am so excited!! xxx
HayleyMoo85
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah that's the one, I am still doing it now, finish in May, need nearly all distinctions to secure my place!! Thank you, I am so excited!! xxx
Hi Laura, congratulations on your place. I’m just about to sign up to an access course and can’t decide between DLC and their access HE science or the Academyonlinelearning Access to dental hygiene/therapy. Sheffield said they’d accept the AOLL one but Leeds are yet to get back to me and said they’d prefer an access course with some Chemistry. Did you find most unis you applied to we’re happy with your access course? I would have thought it shows commitment to the course to pick one related specifically to the field. Also, how are you finding the course? The workload and hours? Does your dental nursing experience help to understand the material? I’ve been a dental nurse for 13 years and I’m desperately trying to do everything I can to get in next year. Xx
LauraDurrant1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HayleyMoo85)
Hi Laura, congratulations on your place. I’m just about to sign up to an access course and can’t decide between DLC and their access HE science or the Academyonlinelearning Access to dental hygiene/therapy. Sheffield said they’d accept the AOLL one but Leeds are yet to get back to me and said they’d prefer an access course with some Chemistry. Did you find most unis you applied to we’re happy with your access course? I would have thought it shows commitment to the course to pick one related specifically to the field. Also, how are you finding the course? The workload and hours? Does your dental nursing experience help to understand the material? I’ve been a dental nurse for 13 years and I’m desperately trying to do everything I can to get in next year. Xx
I have had 4/5 interview invites with it, they can also tailor it to university needs so they can add a chemistry aspect if you need them too, just means an extra assignment! It’s not easy but doable! My nursing jnowledge hasn’t really helped because my course was 5 years ago and the biology is mainly body related not head/neck related (urinary system etc etc) xxxx
HayleyMoo85
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have had 4/5 interview invites with it, they can also tailor it to university needs so they can add a chemistry aspect if you need them too, just means an extra assignment! It’s not easy but doable! My nursing jnowledge hasn’t really helped because my course was 5 years ago and the biology is mainly body related not head/neck related (urinary system etc etc) xxxx
Thank you for replying. That’s great they can tailor it. Did the course have exams? Were they over Skype? Just wondering when the course gets moderates as I’d like to apply for a 2021 intake but I imagine I’ll be finishing the course end of the year. Also (sorry for so many questions) which unis did you apply for? Just wondering where you got your interviews. Thank you so much for your advice. Good luck with your course. I’ll bet you’re so excited 😊 xx
LauraDurrant1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HayleyMoo85)
Thank you for replying. That’s great they can tailor it. Did the course have exams? Were they over Skype? Just wondering when the course gets moderates as I’d like to apply for a 2021 intake but I imagine I’ll be finishing the course end of the year. Also (sorry for so many questions) which unis did you apply for? Just wondering where you got your interviews. Thank you so much for your advice. Good luck with your course. I’ll bet you’re so excited 😊 xx
I started my access course may last year & have got in for 2020 entry. I have no exams & I applied to Portsmouth, Essex, Bristol, Brum & Queen Mary. I am soooo excited, can’t wait to give LA! Xxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (249)
60.58%
No (84)
20.44%
Not sure (78)
18.98%

Watched Threads