I have a skin condition. How do I talk to my parents about getting strong medication

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have a skin condition that is causing many problems in my life. Every time I go out and try to walk anywere I I get a fit of extremely itchy skin when my body warms up just slightly causing me to have to stop and sit in the street scratching.(which is extremely embarrassing)
Unfortunately this condition has caused me to have anxiety problems and I have tried to get my parents about 6 months ago to allow me to take strong medication for the itching( immuno suppressants) but they have seen an improvement in my depression so they don't think it is necessary however It really is causing a lot of anxiety.
I have not talked to them for about 6 months because I was fearful that they would not take me seriously.
How am I to persuade them to let me have it as this condition has caused me so much problems and I think the medication would be very beneficial for me?
I am going to college soon and I am dreading it because of my skin condition.
Thanks for your help.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have a skin condition that is causing many problems in my life. Every time I go out and try to walk anywere I I get a fit of extremely itchy skin when my body warms up just slightly causing me to have to stop and sit in the street scratching.(which is extremely embarrassing)
Unfortunately this condition has caused me to have anxiety problems and I have tried to get my parents about 6 months ago to allow me to take strong medication for the itching( immuno suppressants) but they have seen an improvement in my depression so they don't think it is necessary however It really is causing a lot of anxiety.
I have not talked to them for about 6 months because I was fearful that they would not take me seriously.
How am I to persuade them to let me have it as this condition has caused me so much problems and I think the medication would be very beneficial for me?
I am going to college soon and I am dreading it because of my skin condition.
Thanks for your help.
You are able to go to your GP on your own and, depending on your age, get your own medication. Make an appointment (your parents don't have to know) and see what the GP can tell you.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
You are able to go to your GP on your own and, depending on your age, get your own medication. Make an appointment (your parents don't have to know) and see what the GP can tell you.
Thanks for you're help but I think that I can't really book an appointment and go to the doctor without people knowing. I live with my parents so they are going to know that I have gone.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks for you're help but I think that I can't really book an appointment and go to the doctor without people knowing. I live with my parents so they are going to know that I have gone.
Tell them you're going to see a friend, or have a meeting with a teacher after school, or that you're just going for a walk.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not being funny, but your parents don't have to "let you" get medication that will improve your life.

You book an appointment with your GP, go, they don't need to be there. Take time out of college if it makes it easier to go - explain to your teacher you need to see your doctor and that you'll catch up with all work.

But your parents should never try and stop you from doing this when you're suffering. I can't even understand their thinking on this one.
slaneysiann
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I have a condition that sounds similar to yours called dermographism! It’s caused by my body making too much histamine so I’m on strong antihistamines 2-4 times a day. I really recommend getting a gp appointment if at all possible as I know how hard it is having to live with it! They’ll be able to give you advice on what to do or take and you can get appointments by yourself if you need. If you have any more questions feel free to ask, I’ll try my best to help
Anonymous #1
(Original post by slaneysiann)
Hi, I have a condition that sounds similar to yours called dermographism! It’s caused by my body making too much histamine so I’m on strong antihistamines 2-4 times a day. I really recommend getting a gp appointment if at all possible as I know how hard it is having to live with it! They’ll be able to give you advice on what to do or take and you can get appointments by yourself if you need. If you have any more questions feel free to ask, I’ll try my best to help
Thanks so much!!!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
I'm not being funny, but your parents don't have to "let you" get medication that will improve your life.

You book an appointment with your GP, go, they don't need to be there. Take time out of college if it makes it easier to go - explain to your teacher you need to see your doctor and that you'll catch up with all work.

But your parents should never try and stop you from doing this when you're suffering. I can't even understand their thinking on this one.
Thank you very much!!!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Tell them you're going to see a friend, or have a meeting with a teacher after school, or that you're just going for a walk.
Thanks so much!!!
kaiicarus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
we have the same condition 😓
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Yeah it sucks😭
Are you getting medication for it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (91)
61.49%
No (57)
38.51%

Watched Threads