The Student Room Group

I have a skin condition. How do I talk to my parents about getting strong medication

I have a skin condition that is causing many problems in my life. Every time I go out and try to walk anywere I I get a fit of extremely itchy skin when my body warms up just slightly causing me to have to stop and sit in the street scratching.(which is extremely embarrassing)
Unfortunately this condition has caused me to have anxiety problems and I have tried to get my parents about 6 months ago to allow me to take strong medication for the itching( immuno suppressants) but they have seen an improvement in my depression so they don't think it is necessary however It really is causing a lot of anxiety.
I have not talked to them for about 6 months because I was fearful that they would not take me seriously.
How am I to persuade them to let me have it as this condition has caused me so much problems and I think the medication would be very beneficial for me?
I am going to college soon and I am dreading it because of my skin condition.
Thanks for your help.
Original post by Anonymous
I have a skin condition that is causing many problems in my life. Every time I go out and try to walk anywere I I get a fit of extremely itchy skin when my body warms up just slightly causing me to have to stop and sit in the street scratching.(which is extremely embarrassing)
Unfortunately this condition has caused me to have anxiety problems and I have tried to get my parents about 6 months ago to allow me to take strong medication for the itching( immuno suppressants) but they have seen an improvement in my depression so they don't think it is necessary however It really is causing a lot of anxiety.
I have not talked to them for about 6 months because I was fearful that they would not take me seriously.
How am I to persuade them to let me have it as this condition has caused me so much problems and I think the medication would be very beneficial for me?
I am going to college soon and I am dreading it because of my skin condition.
Thanks for your help.

You are able to go to your GP on your own and, depending on your age, get your own medication. Make an appointment (your parents don't have to know) and see what the GP can tell you.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
You are able to go to your GP on your own and, depending on your age, get your own medication. Make an appointment (your parents don't have to know) and see what the GP can tell you.

Thanks for you're help but I think that I can't really book an appointment and go to the doctor without people knowing. I live with my parents so they are going to know that I have gone.
Thanks for you're help but I think that I can't really book an appointment and go to the doctor without people knowing. I live with my parents so they are going to know that I have gone.

Tell them you're going to see a friend, or have a meeting with a teacher after school, or that you're just going for a walk.
I'm not being funny, but your parents don't have to "let you" get medication that will improve your life.

You book an appointment with your GP, go, they don't need to be there. Take time out of college if it makes it easier to go - explain to your teacher you need to see your doctor and that you'll catch up with all work.

But your parents should never try and stop you from doing this when you're suffering. I can't even understand their thinking on this one.
Hi, I have a condition that sounds similar to yours called dermographism! It’s caused by my body making too much histamine so I’m on strong antihistamines 2-4 times a day. I really recommend getting a gp appointment if at all possible as I know how hard it is having to live with it! They’ll be able to give you advice on what to do or take and you can get appointments by yourself if you need. If you have any more questions feel free to ask, I’ll try my best to help :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by slaneysiann
Hi, I have a condition that sounds similar to yours called dermographism! It’s caused by my body making too much histamine so I’m on strong antihistamines 2-4 times a day. I really recommend getting a gp appointment if at all possible as I know how hard it is having to live with it! They’ll be able to give you advice on what to do or take and you can get appointments by yourself if you need. If you have any more questions feel free to ask, I’ll try my best to help :smile:

Thanks so much!!!
Reply 7
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I'm not being funny, but your parents don't have to "let you" get medication that will improve your life.

You book an appointment with your GP, go, they don't need to be there. Take time out of college if it makes it easier to go - explain to your teacher you need to see your doctor and that you'll catch up with all work.

But your parents should never try and stop you from doing this when you're suffering. I can't even understand their thinking on this one.

Thank you very much!!!
Reply 8
Original post by DrawTheLine
Tell them you're going to see a friend, or have a meeting with a teacher after school, or that you're just going for a walk.

Thanks so much!!!
Reply 9
Yeah it sucks😭
Are you getting medication for it?
Original post by kaiicarus
sorry didnt see ur reply. im on danazol and it helps a bit but not enough to make a huge difference in my life. still depressed and socially anxious af and only getting worse mentally lool

Maybe try antidepressants as they can help with the condition. Try Ciprolex. I heard it can really help with the anxiety and the condition. Hope it goes away soon
Hello there! I'm not sure whether I had the same condition as you had before, do you feel a little bit painful also when ur skin is itchy? And do you feel itchy sometimes also at night?
Original post by ArseneWenger821
Hello there! I'm not sure whether I had the same condition as you had before, do you feel a little bit painful also when ur skin is itchy? And do you feel itchy sometimes also at night?

Yeap and it was always heat stress and exercise triggered. How did you get it to stop?
Yeap and it was always heat stress and exercise triggered. How did you get it to stop?

Well, I think my condition wasn't that serious, I think I will have this in 3-4 days every 6 months, are ur itchy spots like mosquito bites also but they just come out all of a sudden? I also feel a little bit itchy and painful when I exercise or under heat during those few days. But I just sleep a little more and then walk more instead of intensive sports (walking is quite useful according to my experience) , and then it is gone after 2-3 days. I'm not too sure about the cause and whether my method works also, maybe u should really see a doctor when u could, or maybe search online for some more info, but don't 100 % believe the treatments people suggest online, only give it a try if it won't do your body any harm and you think it could be potentially useful.

Also, one more thing that I have noticed is that, if I took a shower with water with huge temperature differences, like cold water immediately after some relatively hot water, that skin condition comes up after 30-60 minutes again, hope this is useful.

Quick Reply

Latest