why does life exist?

Watch
TSR George
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
the universe was created by atoms but where did these atoms come from? why did life begin? i’m not religious but sometimes i can’t help thinking if there is a reason why we’re here.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by big-L)
the universe was created by atoms but where did these atoms come from? why did life begin? i’m not religious but sometimes i can’t help thinking if there is a reason why we’re here.
Most likely a scientific anomaly. And since it's started, the purpose of life is evolution (i.e. finding the perfect, most survivable organism).
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personally, I’m here because my mummy and daddy loved each other very much and had a special mummy/daddy cuddle 😜

I’m Christian but I’m sorry, I’m too tired to get in to it
TSR George
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Most likely a scientific anomaly. And since it's started, the purpose of life is evolution (i.e. finding the perfect, most survivable organism).
but there’s always a why. why is the purpose of life to become the most survivable organism?

but the scientific anomaly concept is quite interesting, i’ll probably be researching that until 3am lol
Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by big-L)
but there’s always a why. why is the purpose of life to become the most survivable organism?

but the scientific anomaly concept is quite interesting, i’ll probably be researching that until 3am lol
why does there have to be a why? Life just is.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by big-L)
but there’s always a why. why is the purpose of life to become the most survivable organism?...
Because if it didn't, life wouldn't have continued.

By this logic, life could have appeared and died out (because it didn't strive to be survivable) countless times, before finally our ancestors (single cell organisms, presumably) evolved to defend against threats and stayed around long enough to become us!

(Again, most likely scientific anomaly too - mutation is random, after all!)
TSR George
Rep:
?
(Original post by Johnny Tightlips)
why does there have to be a why? Life just is.
i don’t know i’m just having deep thoughts rn and wanted to see other people’s views on our existence lol
Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by big-L)
i don’t know i’m just having deep thoughts rn and wanted to see other people’s views on our existence lol
Imo there's no reason why we're here, we're just here. So we might as well make the most of it.
SleepingOwl
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Life is all a test, all the highs and lows happen for a reason. God created mankind for the purpose of worshipping Him. Humans sin and are imperfect, therefore are able to repent and become better people. Everything that happens in this life determines what happens in the next life, wheter we go to Heaven or Hell. And we have to remember God has a plan and is the perfect one not us, we aren't supposed to have complete understanding of how everything works, what God looks like, because its beyond us and we're not perfect. Trusting in their being a Higher existence and something beyond us as well as God being Perfect , All-Knowing, All-Seeing, The Most Merciful, etc, and everything not being some big mistake is fundamental to religion.
BRH1234
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You think too much into things ✌🏼
TSR George
Rep:
?
(Original post by BRH1234)
You think too much into things ✌🏼
i wouldn’t say that’s a bad thing. thinking is interesting
Last edited by big-L; 1 month ago
Captain.boaty
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Doesn't matter we get one as far as we know - just do as much as you can!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Twelve posts in and no-one has mentioned some sort of deity. Amazing for TSR!

EDIT: oh yes they did... post 9
.N.A.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by big-L)
So the spirits of exams could haunt us
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)

I vaguely did in post 3.......... sorry 😜
blueberrybowl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
there’s no real explanation, and we may never find out the real reason why we exist and how we came into existence.

all i believe is that at first there was nothing. like when you’re asleep, there’s just nothing. but within the nothingness an imbalance of something occurred, which resulted in the big bang, etc etc.

the purpose of our existence is whatever you believe it to be. it can be different for each person. i believe the reason for my existence is to help others
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
I vaguely did in post 3.......... sorry 😜
No - you, in your usual tasteful way, mentioned your faith without feeling the need to give everyone a lecture about Jesus. I don't mind that
TSR George
Rep:
?

i was expecting a flood of religious people but i do like to think there’s a ‘higher power’, although i don’t completely believe in it. it’s just very strange how we’re a very advanced species and somehow we’re so alone in the universe in a planet perfectly suited for life (or at least haven’t been contacted by anything).
Last edited by big-L; 1 month ago
TSR George
Rep:
?
(Original post by blueberrybowl)
there’s no real explanation, and we may never find out the real reason why we exist and how we came into existence.

all i believe is that at first there was nothing. like when you’re asleep, there’s just nothing. but within the nothingness an imbalance of something occurred, which resulted in the big bang, etc etc.

the purpose of our existence is whatever you believe it to be. it can be different for each person. i believe the reason for my existence is to help others
that’s a nice way to think about it - but i find it so hard to understand that there was still something in nothingness. i wonder where that ‘something’ came from :curious:
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No - you, in your usual tasteful way, mentioned your faith without feeling the need to give everyone a lecture about Jesus. I don't mind that
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (279)
33.94%
No (543)
66.06%

Watched Threads