The Student Room Group

Should men have a say on abortion?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JustOneMoreThing
Because wanting to have sex and wanting a child are two different things.

We are in the 21st Century right?

I think he/she meant that why have intercourse without the appropriate protection if you don't want a child. Living in the 21st century doesn't have to mean that we legalise murder for the sake of temporary pleasure.
Original post by Dida Lika
You just didn't get ''plagued with pregnancy'' out of nowhere, you made the conscious decision of unprotected intercourse which you probably knew could result in pregnancy (unless you were raped which would be a completely different story).

You're playing with semantics.

The user didn't mean you get pregnant out of anywhere, and you know that.

What about protected sex?

And why is it different for rape?
That's discrimination against an entire stage of the human life cycle. What about people who have mental illnesses e.g, dementia, and almost their entire brain has undergone encephalopathy, should they just be killed because they don't have capacity? What a dumbass

You are the dumbass comparing a bunch of cells to a fully formed adult human being... And just for reference, dementia is not a mental illness. Nor does having it automatically mean loss of capacity.
Original post by ANM775
The current laws around abortion and child support absolutely stink.

This is what should happen: Either the man has a say whether or not the female aborts or keeps his baby, and she cannot legally abort it without his permission ...OR, if a man goes on record as not wanting a baby and the woman is allowed to choose have it anyway, that man is now exempt from paying child support.

it seems very unfair the way things stand currently.

Do you not think that first point would just cause women to keep their pregnancy a secret and abort without even telling the partner?
I know if I were in that situation, where I'd want to abort but knew I couldn't do so without my partners say so, if I ever accidently fell pregnant (god forbid) somehow, I wouldn't tell him I was even pregnant, I'd abort behind his back.
I think he/she meant that why have intercourse without the appropriate protection if you don't want a child. Living in the 21st century doesn't have to mean that we legalise murder for the sake of temporary pleasure.

What's your point?
Original post by black tea
Having a baby that you are responsible for for the rest of your life isn't quite comparable to purchasing a pack of Jaffa Cakes.

Adoption is still a legal practice
Adoption is still a legal practice

And? So is abortion.
You just didn't get ''plagued with pregnancy'' out of nowhere, you made the conscious decision of unprotected intercourse which you probably knew could result in pregnancy (unless you were raped which would be a completely different story).

Or you had protected intercourse but still got pregnant because no contraception is 100% effective, even if used correctly.
You are the dumbass comparing a bunch of cells to a fully formed adult human being... And just for reference, dementia is not a mental illness. Nor does having it automatically mean loss of capacity.

The clump of cells is a potential human being, who will become a fully formed human being at some stage. I can't fathom the idea of removing legal protection from an entire stage of the human life cycle - regardless of what stage. When you murder a pregnant woman you get charged for the murder of 2 people. Why do you think that is? Also, lets take into consideration a patient with dementia who does not have capacity, should we just kill them?
Or you had protected intercourse but still got pregnant because no contraception is 100% effective, even if used correctly.

Generally speaking most contraceptions are over 95 percent effective. Using it would prevent a **** tonne of murders.
And? So is abortion.

Do you really not see the difference? I'm done.
Well they have a right to give their opinion on the matter. But the bottom line is it's going to be the women's choice. But I'm uncomfortable with the idea that the father should have zero input. Its takes two to tango and he has a right as a father to has his say.
The clump of cells is a potential human being, who will become a fully formed human being at some stage. I can't fathom the idea of removing legal protection from an entire stage of the human life cycle - regardless of what stage. When you murder a pregnant woman you get charged for the murder of 2 people. Why do you think that is? Also, lets take into consideration a patient with dementia who does not have capacity, should we just kill them?

"Potentially" is the key word here. That clump of cells might be miscarried (1 in 4 pregnancies end in miscarriage), or be a still death, or the potential baby might have some genetic mutation that means they don't survive past a few days of life. That is no way comparable to a human being that has lived a life. So no, aborting a clump of cells is in no way comparable to murdering a person with dementia.
Original post by Peoplesguy
I was never really a smart kid but i know that if its your body its your choice lol

Another's person's body (the baby's) is the woman's body? huh? We've moved on a step from this body autonomy malark. The father should have rights and the unborn should have rights. I'm not saying more rights than the woman, but their positions matter very much as well.
(edited 4 years ago)
Do you really not see the difference? I'm done.

A potentially miserable life of being unwanted and abused and shipped around foster homes, versus no life at all? Yep, I very much see the difference.
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
You're playing with semantics.

The user didn't mean you get pregnant out of anywhere, and you know that.

What about protected sex?

And why is it different for rape?

Going by the "murder" rhetoric, it sounds like Dida Lika is either pro-birth or militantly anti-abortion unless there is significant risk to the life of the pregnant woman.

I was joking.
If you want me to answer the two questions you posed to Dida Lika I can.

I'm a female who supports rape survivors and understands that my choice to consent to sex with a guy carries an inherent risk of negative consequences for me (pregnancy or stds).
I also understand that sexual risk goes both ways; guys who consent to sex with a woman also risk contraceptive failure, std infections, fathering a child with a woman they may have no desire to ever cross paths with again and being perused for child support.
Original post by karelina
You're not smart now either. Another's person's body (the baby's) is the woman's boy? huh? We've moved on a step from this body autonomy malark. The father should have rights and the unborn should have rights. I'm not saying more rights than the woman, but their positions matter very much as well.

Do you not think that if we force a woman to go full term and give birth to give the fetus a right to life, or if we give the father the final say on whether the woman has an abortion or not, then you are giving both of those more rights than the woman? If she is made to carry the baby and birth it because of the fetus' right to life or because of the father's right to decide, the woman then has no right because she has no choice.
Original post by Anonymous
Scenerio: You got pregnant and your partner asked to keep it. You dont want to because youre not ready for the responsibility thus you decide to abort it. Your partner begs to keep it and promises that he will raise it as a single dad once the child is born, will you still abort it?

Yes.
Reply 98
Original post by Anonymous
Ok, let's say men gave birth instead of women. Should women get a say in if their child should be killed before it is born or not?

You should start a haulage company because damn that's a loaded question
Original post by lazerbeem
Do you not think that if we force a woman to go full term and give birth to give the fetus a right to life, or if we give the father the final say on whether the woman has an abortion or not, then you are giving both of those more rights than the woman? If she is made to carry the baby and birth it because of the fetus' right to life or because of the father's right to decide, the woman then has no right because she has no choice.

I don't want her to be forced to do anything, only to think about the others involved and to stop being blinded by empty slogans about my body my choice. Ultimately it should still be her choice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending